Like other reviewers have said, this hotel has a lovely front and lobby. The valet parking makes it very easy to pull up on the busy street and not worry about parking. There are some very nice things about this hotel such as a friendly helpful staff, free coffee and danishes in the morning and a quick walk to EVERYTHING great in the Santa Monica area. On the other hand, there were some very awful things as well. That is why I am not completely sure if I would recommend this hotel to a friend or not.
The actual hotel room is the smallest hotel room I have EVER stayed in. The queen bed had an enormous frame that took up the front of the bed and made it difficult to cross over to the opposite side of the room. My husband and I both had bruises on our legs after a weekend of accidentally running into the wooden foot board that stuck out too far- there was only about 2-3 ft between the end of the bed and the other wall. Not much room - we are not big people and we had to turn sideways to move from one side of the room to the other. NOT a room for small kids to play in. The worst thing was the condition of the carpet in our hotel room. It felt dirty on our bare feet! VERY old and past being cleaned. It needs to be replaced. I would not return if they still have that same carpet. Not a place for small kids to play on the floor. Finally, the housekeeping did not do a great job of making our room clean on our arrival. Examples: There was something red and sticky stuck to our bed boxspring under the comforter, on the side of the mattress. I removed it with a tissue. Also the plastic covering the box spring was all torn up. Gross! Also, the bedroom windows were dirty and the fan above our bed was covered in dust. By the looks of it, the fan had not been dusted for weeks. We did not turn it on at all because it was so dusty. I CANNOT believe our housekeeper did not notice all of this.
The good stuff- The free morning coffee and muffins in the lobby were great. The front staff and valets were super friendly and helpful. The window opened in our room--lots of windows in hotels don't open nowadays. The location is AMAZING! We could see the ocean from the bedroom window, and there was a bustling city of people walking on the street below us. We dropped off our car upon our arrival and didn't take it again until we checked out two days later. Lots of restaurants, the beach and pier, bars, a mall and even a couple movie theaters are also in walking distance. Go during the week for a quieter stay--weekends are crazy busy here! This is a hotel for a people that go with the flow and can enjoy a vacation if the location is ideal, even if the room is not great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the heart of Santa Monica, close to the Santa Monica Beach, the Hotel Carmel welcomes guests with classic Southern California hospitality. Steps away from world class shopping, fine dining, and the historic Santa Monica Pier, the Hotel Carmel has been a favorite with Santa Monica visitors since 1924. Experience Hotel Carmel’s history when you enter the lobby; a designated stop on the Santa Monica historic walking tour. High ceilings, a tiled floor, dramatic columns and a classic fireplace capture the gracious Spanish revival elements of the nineteen twenties. Guests at the hotel enjoy a privileged location, just a block to Santa Monica Beach and the Santa Monica Pier, home to attractions, amusements, and excitement. The hotel is across the street from Santa Monica Place Mall, anchored by Bloomingdales and Nordstrom, and features world class retailers such as Barney’s, Tory Burch, Tiffany & Company, Nike, Coach, Burberry,and Louis Vuitton. The Arclight Cinema and the Cheese Cake Factory are also located in Santa Monica Place. Just a block away is Santa Monica’s lively Third Street Promenade home to dining, shopping, and street performers. Be in the heart of it all in downtown Santa Monica. Experience the historic Hotel Carmel, a Southern California classic. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, HotelsforEveryone and Odigeo so you can book your Hotel Carmel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carmel Hotel Santa Monica
- Hotel Carmel Santa Monica
- Carmel Santa Monica