“Great Location”
Review of Hotel Carmel

Hotel Carmel
Ranked #27 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Been there 1 year ago. Everything clean and comfortable. Friendly staff.Location is perfect. easy walking distance to 3rd street promenade and santa monica pier.

Also enjoyed the free breakfast.

Would come back definitely.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
AngelaRogers, Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Hello Denis L,

Thank you for posting your review. We appreciate you mentioning that the hotel was clean and comfortable and the staff was friendly. Safe travels back to Zurich. We hope to see you again on a future visit to Santa Monica!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

This hotel is in a great location, your back door is the 3rd Promenade and out your front door is the beach. The hotel is a little difficult at start with pulling up to the front of hotel but they handle it well. The front desk doesn't seem to care one way or the other if you are there but that shouldn't be a deal breaker. This is a bare bones hotel, no bells and whistles, the beds were older and the pillows were flat and the rooms were small. Breakfast is not for the health conscious but seriously, location can't be beat!

Room Tip: Not sure you have a choice but they only have one small elevator and the stairs are steep so keep th...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Hi Molly G,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Your comments both positive and constructive are very important to me. I was glad that you found our location ideal for your visit to Santa Monica. I was disappointed to learn that my front desk team left you with the impression that we didn’t care. I’m not sure who you interacted with but we care very much that you selected Hotel Carmel. You were our guest and you gave us an opportunity to be of service. I’m very sorry we left you with a poor impression of our appreciation for staying with us. I will be sharing your review with my team as part of our ongoing evaluation of guest service. We hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to Santa Monica.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our 10th wedding anniversary. What a mistake. Upon check-in, the front desk girl was not friendly at all. She gave us a king bed, which is what we paid for but when we got to the room I couldn't believe what I saw. The room was so small, no place to put anything, the bathroom had no counter space, the lighting was horrible, the smell was musty and not pleasant at all and the view was of air conditioning units and to top it off our air conditioner didn't work. I went to the front desk and a maintenance man (very nice guy) came back to the room with me but he could not fix the problem. He came with me again to the front desk and he told them it could not be fixed. They moved us to a room in the front, street-side of the hotel but this time with two queen beds. Our anniversary and we have two beds!!! It was clean, I will give it that but that's all it had going for it. The street noise was terrible and again, no counter space and bad lighting. The walls were so paper thin we could hear everything our neighbors were doing including the room above us when they walked around. This is a very old hotel with much needed updating. The location is ok but don't waste your hard-earned money booking a room here. It's very depressing. It will ruin your vacation.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank richgail22

Dear richgail22,

Ouch! I was very discouraged to read your review. It sounds like we really dropped the ball on what was a very special occasion for you. Please allow me to personally apologize for the issues you encountered. I would also respectfully request that you contact me personally regarding your stay with us because I think you deserve a personal resolution rather than just a reply to your post. You can reach me at 310-451-2469 or through our website on the contact us page. Thanks, and again, my sincere apologies.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stay at Hotel Carmel for 3 nights on the 18th of March 2013 and the outside was nice the lobby was nice but the rooms were very dark and noisy and we were on the top floor.
The wifi is not free you have to pay for it and it isn't cheap, I managed to get onto the Santa Monica Wifi instead of paying. Parking is also not included in the rate and it is $14 a night which isn't too bad but would have been nice to know before hand. The breakfast (if you can call it that) was tea, coffee and muffins and sugary pastries. The bed was comfortable but for what we paid a night I would of expected a bit more. Wont stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Courtney M
Reviewed March 15, 2013

this hotel has very little going for it. Long, dreary hallways, dark rooms that need a lighting expert.
Not attractive for $175.00 PER NITE
There was a depressing old quality operating
the breakfast bar had no fresh milk for coffee

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank naomineu1
AngelaRogers, General Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Naomineu1

I’m very sorry that you did not find our hotel very attractive and felt that the rooms were dark. I respect your opinion and appreciate the feedback. I have not received much feedback about room lighting. Maybe something was not working properly that contributed to you reaching that conclusion. If so, we should have caught that prior to you checking in. Concerning price, our hotel has the best location, we provide an excellent value, and we are very reasonably priced for accommodations in Santa Monica. Thanks for staying with us and thanks for taking the time to post your comments.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Had read mixed reviews of this hotel however we were pleasantly surprised and feel compared to others in the arena it was good value for money. Yes this breakfast was basic pastries and juice/coffee but more than we had at most hotels that room rates were 3 times as high. Staff were excellent, polite and with good knowledge. Information
provided with pleasure far exceeded other hotel experiences on our States visit,
The rooms while getting tired as was the corridors however there seemed to a handy/painter working away on touch up general maintenance the whole of the 4 days we stayed. The view from our room was poor ...overlooking the air conditioning of the hotel or other machinery and roof. Air con worked well was not annoying and with window closed the noise level was low
The great thing about this was staff and location. A block from the beach, the pier and the3rd promenade. Hop on/hop off bus available near pier and great way see LA sites, hotel has tickets. Catch us 403 from Santa monica to Hollywood for approx $1.50.bus drops you 2 blocks from Hollywood Bvl and way cheaper than taxi. All in all great hotel for the price witha fabulous location and for Those that like Thai food give Thai Dishes just around the corner(100m),,excellent food.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pieter H

Hello Pieter H,

Thank you for your recent stay with us at Hotel Carmel and thank you for posting your review. We appreciate the feedback that our team was excellent and polite and knowledgeable. We were very pleased to learn that you found our hotel to be a good value. We currently have a promotion that is valid through May 31, 2013. We are also in the process of an ongoing refresh of our guestrooms and corridors that we hope will enhance the hotel. Thanks again for your post.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights from Sunday 10th Feb on our way back to UK from New Zealand. Caught the Big Blue bus ( No3 ) from near LAX for $1each, great value and drop off near to hotel. Had read lots of previous reviews but have to say we had no problems during our stay. We stayed in room 428 which was very comfortable and clean with king size bed. Only slight negative was no view and air con outside a bit noisey but not bad if window closed, although noise did reduce from about 11.00pm. All reception staff friendly and very helpful, arranged transit to airport which was only $28 hotel to LAX and driver very friendly and informative. The free breakfast of juice, tea or coffee and pastries is excellent and is something that you would not get at many other hotels in US. As said in many other reviews, the location is fantastic, we had great walks along the
beach area towards Malibu and stop for coffee at beach cafe's and pier 5 min walk from hotel.

Also handy for shopping and eating out with many great value restaurants within walking distance.
We would stay here again and both thought that Santa Monica was a great place to visit. G & J.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
AngelaRogers, General Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Hello Gordon G.

Thank you so much for your review of Hotel Carmel. We really appreciate all the positive comments. I was very happy to learn that your room was comfortable and clean and our team was very helpful and friendly. Also, thanks for mentioning the Big Blue Bus. It is great way to get to Santa Monica from Los Angeles International Airport and the bus stops right around the corner from our hotel. We look forward to seeing you back on your next visit.