“Good but some issues”

Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Dublin
“Good but some issues”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I visited this hotel last weekend for our 5 year wedding anniversary. When we were checking in the concierge/front desk person congratulated us and asked us what we drink. We said red wine - he asked what kind and offered to send a bottle up to our room. We were looking forward to it, but the bottle never came. When we were checking out I mentioned this to another person, who acted shocked and embarrassed that this would happen. He took our phone number and said someone would be calling us right away to work something out. No one ever called. Classless.

On the upside this is a beautiful hotel in a great location. We were given a room with a jacuzzi bathtub and a little terrace that opened out on to the pool area. I got some great nights of restful sleep in a beautiful four poster bed. I thought it was really relaxing. However the issue with the wine put a bad taste in my mouth (pardon the pun) plus there were some other little extra charges that I wasn't too fond of. One of the reviews for this hotel mentioned a cool medicine cabinet full of toiletries and that's one of the reasons I booked the hotel - I love cool toiletries. Well yes, there was a medicine cabinet full of cool stuff, for a hefty price. A toothbrush was $6, a bath bomb was $13. I mean why not just put cheaper stuff in there and make it free seeing as how people are paying like $500 a night to stay there? The parking was also crazy expensive. I thought breakfast was reasonably priced though. Would I stay there again? Probably not - but I'm not sorry that I did. It was relaxing and restorative, but I'm excited to try other hotels in the area

2 Thank dgelbard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Turkish first
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I didn't stay here, but I met up with some friends for drinks last weekend. The staff is very nice and pleasant - sorta wish I stayed there! Their lounge is huge with plenty of comfortable seating. I'm not really a drinker, but I did enjoy the sangria. I believe they validate for parking too, for a lowered cost. They have music playing during the weekend, which is very good, except it does make it harder to talk to people. (it's not too loud though)

Atlanta
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed here for three nights in May and enjoyed the convenient beach access (getting here from the highway is also easy). The atmosphere is elegant yet laid-back. The details in the rooms and hotel are wonderful. While the meal and drinks are expensive, that isn't a surprise given the price of the rooms and the setting. I felt very relaxed staying here.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed May 23, 2013

My husband and I spent a week-end at this hotel and loved it. The lobby is magnificent - - like a beautiful old Europen beach hotel. We had drinks in the lobby one night before dinner and it was enchanting. We had a lovely bright room with a four poster bed. The bedding and the shampoo, etc. are great. There even are whimsical touches like a turtle shaped soap and a rubber duckie on the edge of the bathtub. And, when they do turndown service at night, they set up a Keurig coffee pot in your room so that you can make coffee in the morning.

We had breakfast one day and lunch another day in the lobby restaurant/bar and the service and food were both excellent. I had artichoke soup that was truly memorable! And, as if all of this were not enough, what is, perhaps, the best feature of the hotel is the swimming pool area. It is on the fifth floor of the hotel, facing the ocean. What a delight to sit on a comforatble chaise lounge, smoothie in hand, and look at the beach and the ocean. We will definitely go back to the Casa del Mar.

1 Thank jscottjoplin
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed last weekend for a quick weekend getaway from Orange County. We really enjoyed our stay! Great drinks at the bar, friendly staff, and love the cottage beach house feel. We will definitely stay again. The only complaint is that $34 for parking is too high.

Luxembourg
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My wife an I stayed 4 days at the Casa del Mar, posterior to our 3 week ride throug California.
The staff was really fantastic, the breakfast-view over the beach of Santa Monica is absolutely wonderful. Valet service is just perfect. The guys even give you advice how or when to travel around in Los Angeles.

Hotel locatiojn is ideal for visiting Los Angeles, Hollywood, Universal & Warenr Studios an ist 15 minutes from the airport.

The pool is very tiny an the pictures on the Web do nopt reflect exactly the tinyness of the swimming pool. Nevertheless, we spent some beautiful hours in the sun.

The hotel is located directly on the beach. Our room was located on the side - in the second floor an we hat direct access to the beach level without having to walk throught the lobby or half the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jake_Worf
San Francisco
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Our quick trip to LA/Santa Monica - could have been a nightmare - was a dream.
We were dazzled and confused about the many options and fun things to do in Los Angeles Area. Our first stop at Casa del Mar was the concierge desk. Samantha saved the day! She is smart, connected, fun and so full of fabulous ideas! We have the best trip ever. She gave us Excellent tips on dining, touring and shopping. Fab hotel.

Room Tip: See Samantha at the Concierge Desk