“Beachfront oasis”

Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Beachfront oasis”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed for a week in February for work and my wife came to visit while there for some mid-winter sunshine. The location (next to Shutters On The Beach), is perfectly accessible from the highway (.25 Miles), yet tucked away on a secluded one-way street adjacent to the beach. The views of Santa Monica pier are great from the dining room and the service is second to none. The rooms are gorgeously appointed in a beachfront cottage style, while the lobby is more stuccochic. Make sure to use the house car for dinner and shopping about town. Recommend Giorgio Baldi just down the hill on Pacific Coast Highway, or Capo within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for beachview. You might get it if they have it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Turkish first
chicago illinois
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Casa del Mar for 1 week and it was a very relaxing stay. The room was beautifully appointed and with a view of the ocean. The windows opened and we could hear the surf. The staff were attentive and respected your privacy. My husband rented a road bike and the staff held it for him. Every day when he came to get it, they had it ready, knew his name and wished him well. The lobby is beautiful and welcoming with live music (not too loud) and we would hang out there with friends and play cards and have drinks with a great view. I would definitely come here over and over again. Just unforgettable.

• Stayed March 2013
Rancho Murieta, California, Usa
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Do you want to shake off all your troubles? Well, at least for some time. Come and enjoy this luxurious ocean front hotel. From the moment I stepped on the heavenly decorated stairway, I was really impressed with the beautiful ambiance. We had Premier Ocean View Room with Surf Breakfast at the Beach for two people. It was so romantic and relaxing. I enjoyed my dinners at Catch restaurant. Grilled Spanish Octopus and and Mixed Grill with Diver Scallop, Shrimp, Squid, Rock Fish and Spanish Chorizo was excellent. Wine selection was impressive. Service was impeccable. However, my favorite place in the hotel was Lobby Lounge with its exciting and electrical ambiance. At night it transforms into a beautiful night club with incredible ocean views and great entertainment. It is so beautiful to watch the sun going down into the ocean while munching on great appetizers and sipping on wine or a cocktail. American Wagyu Sliders with tomato jam and blue cheese was delicious. What a beautiful place to celebrate life.

Room Tip: Premier Ocean View Room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed here in late February on a business trip. This was my first stay at Casa Del Mar, but I'd had fond memories of staying at its sister hotel next door (Shutters) years back. The location is by far the top draw for the hotel. Casa del Mar itself is cozy, and the service was generally very good all around.

The bar and restaurant at the rear of the hotel face the beach and offers amazing views of the sunset. The food in the restaurant was pretty good.

The rooms were nicely laid out and very comfortable. Unfortunately, I was given a 1st floor room at the end of the cul-de-sac on Pico Blvd across from the driveway of Shutters. Half of the room was was actually below street level, so when I looked out, I saw some hedges and the sidewalk. I had to keep my curtains drawn as everyone walking by (including the omnipresent paparazi waiting to snap a shot of the next celebrity checking into/out of Shutters) could easily glance down into my room. The next morning I asked to switch rooms and was given a room on the fourth floor facing East (above the front door on Ocean Way). The new room was considerably smaller and felt too cramped.

The bed and sheets were very comfortable, and the room had everything I needed, but it just felt very tight and would have been too small for two people.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the 1st floor which is actually below ground level. Best to get an Ocean-facing...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank John T
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We just returned from a stay at the Casa Del Mar as part of our family Spring Break trip. We absolutely loved the elegance and comfort of this lovely property. Our room was exactly what we needed at the end of each day - the high cozy beds with crisp linens, the entry with 2 closets and a cute dresser/shelf combo with toile accents allowed for stow away of our clutter, and the shelves of books and room furniture that makes the room so "by the ocean chic" . Bathroom amenities are fabulous. The overall vibe was really appreciated by our family. We loved the lovely historic building (room, lobby area) and attentive service we received from everyone - front desk, housekeeping, room service, concierge & bellman. We've had many stays at Shutters and tried this sister property for the first time - we were very happy with our choice!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank LuvLuxTravel_12
Chicago
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I stayed at the Del Mar for 3 days for a conference in March. I was immediately off-putted by the bellmen I met at the Shutters (a sister property across the street from them) and by their bell men. I sensed a judgmental smugness in them that was out of place in a 5 star hotel. Aside from this first impression, the property delivered as advertised, although my room bordered between something that had patina and something that could use another coat of paint. The two highlights for me were the location right on the beach and the wonderful bar that looks out on the beach. I did not eat on the property, so I can't rate the kitchen.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2013

A very late review. After a few flights for just over 24 hours, this hotel choice felt like one of the best decisions in my life! I stayed there last year for a few days and I was just blown away. My room was just amazing and that's not just because of the ocean view! It was spotless, cosy and just beautiful.
All the services were excellent -- room service, food, spa (I had one of the best massages there), staff, laundry...
Nice view of Santa Monico Pier and nice walk along the beach.
I wish I could go again so I could write a more up-to-date review!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends