“I love this hotel!”
Review of Casa del Mar

Casa del Mar
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Above and beyond! I have been to this hotel for dinner, drinks, music etc for years. I have never stayed because I lived down the beach. On a recent trip home I decided to stay. There is nothing I would want to change about my stay, my room was amazing, great amenities, comfy bed, a view....but what really sets this hotel apart is the hotel staff. From check in to check out anything they could do to make my stay enjoyable was done with personality and a smile. The one thing that has needed improving for years is the staff in the bar. Whether sitting at the bar and ordering from the bartender or sitting in the lounge, service is very slowwwww. You usually have to do jumping jacks to get someone's attention. Aside from that everything was amazing.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank NLM M

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed here in August for three nights. Was sad to leave. It's all about Location, location and location. The hotel is huge right on the beach but the entrance is on the street at the back. Walking distance to pier and best shopping area. Ask for a map at Reception. Beautiful bed and creamy soft linen. They have a sister hotel next door called Shutters which has an expensive restaurant El Pico. This is similar to the Casa del Mar restaurant Catch. If you want an excellent meal at a normal price go to the Shutters beach restaurant. It's called Coast. They work all day churning out excellent food. We hired bikes from outside there and cycled on to Venice beach. There are a few homeless people there but the shops are interesting like the Native American shop.
Did not use the spa or have breakfast at the hotel. The pool was attractive with sun loungers and towels. Not really big enough but was delightful for the little ones.
Really impressed by valet staff 'we'll take it from here sir' when we arrived. Assistance with luggage was excellent. Did not splash out at the expensive restaurants, spa or the best suites as we are in USA for a month but will come back when I win the Lottery.

Room Tip: At the least get a pool terrace view room so you can open a patio door.. Ask for a room which has a...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Verinique
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We live in Marina del Rey but have stayed here for getaways. I love the gorgeous lobby and often meet friends there for drinks or breakfast overlooking the ocean, the restaurant Catch is beautiful and delicious, the rooms are peaceful and lovely, the gym is nice, the pool is secluded and has a great view, plus the hotels is dog friendly!

Room Tip: An ocean view is great but makes the room much more expensive. You have great views from the lobby...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cindy C
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel. The location is fabulous - right on the beach. The pool is quiet, beautiful, and it overlooks the beach. All of the furnishings are very plush and luxurious. However, when the person in the room next to me took a shower - the noise of the water and pipes woke me up. It was so noisy - it took me a while to figure out what it was. Given the price of the rooms, this was unacceptable.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank vak_10
Reviewed July 11, 2012

As we arrived from LAX after a long haul flight from Australia, we were wowed by the site of this established hotel and it's beachside location. If you are a fan of well kept iconic types of hotels, this place is for you. As soon as we pulled up, we were greeted by very friendly genuine and professional staff and were able to check in early. We had a partial ocean view room which had a slight view of the ocean as well as Shutters next door. The room was quite spacious and the interior is really tastefully done with high quality finishes. It looks better in real life than in the photos/website. It was a nice solid room and really quiet. I'm such a light sleeper but I slept really well. One night (a Friday) we came back and there was a jazz band playing in the lobby. Our room was on the same level as the lobby but with the doors closed, I didn't hear a thing.

This was my favourite hotel from my US trip. I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in Vegas, SLS Beverly Hills and Westin in San Fran. This hotel was the most genuine feeling hotel and best all round experience. It's not cheap but if you want a great experience, it's worth it. I also liked having the ability to dine at Shutters and charge back to the room. Breakfast at Shutters was fantastic (loved the ricotta hotcakes) and one morning we saw Ron Howard having breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank airportnut
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Casa Del Mar is a very nice hotel. The staff is polite and attentive and the facilities are charming and, for the most part, luxurious.

We opted for a partial ocean view room. The view was good enough to qualify as partial ocean, but no more. The decor was tasteful and it was a nice size, although a bit overcrowded with superfluous furniture. Being able to open the windows and listen to the ocean was a nice plus. Some minor mars to the paint on the walls and an insect found in a bathrobe were the only real negatives to the room. For this price I would have expected a ceiling fan as well, since many guests undoubtedly will want to sleep with the windows open to enjoy the ocean and beautiful weather.

The fitness room is quite nice and was vacant both times my wife and I used it. There were more than enough machines, towels, headphones, water and apples available for a crowd in the event it actually was busy.

The pool is quite small and shallow and was overrun with children. In my opinion it is unacceptable for a hotel this large and this expensive to only have a tiny, shallow pool. The seating around the pool was also quite limited.

The hotel car driven by Zoro is a nice touch. It beats taking a cab and was a pleasure to arrive for dinner in style and comfort. Zoro was a true gentleman and is an asset to the hotel.

This hotel is very good and the location is great. We have stayed at places with more of the little touches that put it over the top. The valet parking was fine, but nothing special for $34/day. However, the exorbitant upcharges for every little thing, including toothpaste, are a turnoff at this price point. It reminded me more of an airline's business model than a luxury service provider.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jth11110
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Loved this hotel, beautiful, stately, great service. The rooms are well appointed, ours was ocean view but we paid handsomely for that. The staff was excellent, very friendly, helpful and gracious at all times, they made you feel very special, no one was ever snobby. I do feel that charging $12/day for internet access in the room is very stingy of them considering the price you pay for the accommocations, that should definitely be included. They have a great pool too overlooking the beach and ocean. I would definitely go back again if I can afford it!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family