“Great after teething probs resolved”

JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot
Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
uk
“Great after teething probs resolved”
Reviewed August 6, 2007

A very good hotel in a great location but there were a couple issues.... I made the booking on the phone and I specifically requested a room with two doubles available so we could share with our daughters, I was told this room was available and I double checked this point because the internet had shown it wasn't. When we arrived they said they only had a room with a king bed which meant for the first night my husband and I had to share a bed with our 11 year old daughter because fire regs meant they could only put one fold away in the room and the hotel was full. In my opinion the front desk could have handled this situation better, after my complaining bitterly they gave us a miserely reduction in our rate for the night. My other gripe was loud disco music after 10.30 from the wedding reception in the hotel. Things improved and for the second and third nights we were in a larger room with 2 doubles which was much better. Other plus points a VERY helpful concierge and nice ambience in the public areas.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank liduk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Yorba Linda, CA
Reviewed July 4, 2007

I love this place. I have stayed here 3 or 4 times now. The location is great, an easy block walk to the beach. The rooms are nice, comfy, well appointed. Room views vary greatly, from full ocean view, to views of the street-ugly. I have learned to ask for a view of other than the street! The view from the lobby lounge is great, and the terraced patios are nice for sipping coffee, lunch, or a drink. Staff is always very attentive. I just love the work out room-there is a traditional hotel gym, with a sort of outdoor cabana immediatley adjacent, so you are using the gym equipment, but outside enjoying the ocean air. Very unique. I have never used the pool but it is an ordinary rectangle, nothing plush, but clean and a good size.

• Stayed July 2007
3 Thank MarenOC
USA
Reviewed May 22, 2007

Location was good with a short walk to the beach. If it were on the beach it would be 5 star hotel.

Spent one week here on vacation and had the consistency and feel of a JW Marriott. If you have stayed at a JW you know what I mean. Beds are very comfy, staff is very customer service oriented and of course the magnificent orchids, art work and lovely room is standard at JW's.

Pricey, but the location and treatment a joy. Oh yeah I used marriott points so no charge makes it even nicer\.. Oh a $12/day auto parking fee i believe, typical of JW. Is it a good value for the money?? I don't know I didn't pay.

• Stayed July 2006
2 Thank Wise_One
Corona, CA
Reviewed March 27, 2007

My girlfriend (now fiance) stayed at Le Merigot to celebrate our engagement and let me tell you, it was such a wonderful experience. We booked the hotel's Romance Package and I called prior to our arrival to see if I could get the best possible room in the type I had reserved. The staff at Le Merigot were very happy and willing to oblige. In fact, during my entire stay, the staff was extremely courteous and friendly; the concierge was especially helpful in coordinating all the different aspects of our package deal.

The accommodations were amazing: we got a nice huge room with 2 large balconies (one with a very nice view of the ocean and pier), a largre and well-appointed marble tiled bathroom. The bed was so plush and comfortable -- everything others have said about them are true! Now, granted, my room was a deluxe room and it was included as part of the package purchased; but I have stayed at Le Merigot before (about 6 or 7 years ago) and stayed in one of their standard rooms -- the room appointments are just as comparable there as were in my most recent stay.

Cezanne -- Le Merigot's restaurant was truly a great place to dine; the ambiance was perfect for the type of romantic experience I was trying to capture, and, of course, the food was amazing -- both dinner and breakfast. My fiance took advantage of the spa and she truly loved it; I have seen that other reviewers have dongraded the spa and I can tell you that what they state is simply not true -- it seems to be a relaxing and worthwhile experience, and my fiance can certainly vouch for that :)

All in all, this was a truly wonderful experience for both of us; we felt like we were on a nice pampered vacation at Le Merigot, even though we were only there for one night. I definitely encourage everyone to consider Le Merigot if you find yourself in LA and want to experience a life of luxury. And definitely look into their package deals -- they offer a lot at surprisingly reasonable prices.

• Liked — The accomodations, the service -- everything! :)
  • Disliked — Well, the weather was cloudy during our stay, but that wasn't Le Mergiot's fault :)
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CMarty71
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2006

I stayed at this property during what must have been one of their biggest conventions of the year - the AFMA film convention. What an unpleasant surprise. The hotel was mobbed when i checked in, and my room was at the very end of a hallway that was pretty much all rooms that had been converted to exhibition rooms. I'll try to cut the hotel a break, but it's one of my pet peeves that you don't realize you've paid quite a bit to be an outsider at a convention that has taken over the hotel. The room was nicely decorated, as was the bathroom, in beige tones. My room and bathroom were both quite large. The biggest problem, though, was that my room overlooked the central courtyard, it had a lousy view and lousy light. Since I was there on business, that didn't bother me. But I'd be plenty annoyed if I stayed there for a beach vacation. I ordered room service twice- both times it came within the expected time frame and with great service. The first time the food was really great (although why the same entree -the sea bass- was listed twice on the menu, once at $17 and once at $29 is a mystery). The second time it was horrible. I didn't try out the gym or the spa, but overall this hotel doesn' t have much of a beach feel.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank JudyColo
Nebraska
Reviewed September 24, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Le Merigot for three nights recently. Although we've shopped and eaten in Santa Monica on past trips, we've never stayed there. I loved this hotel and the Santa Monica area. Yes, there are homeless people around but it is an urban area and I don't think it should be a surprise to anyone that they're around.

The hotel itself is lovely. We were upgraded to an ocean-view room--what a treat to wake up every morning and look out at the ocean. Each room has a couple of live plants--a nice touch. Although the mini-bar was full, housekeeping told us that it was fine to place our own items in there to keep cool. Much appreciated in the era of 'you touch it, you buy it' minibars. Rooms have comfy robes and slippers for guest use. There was turndown service each night.

Another nice touch was the newspaper delivery at our door each morning--not just any delivery, though. Each room's newspaper was first tucked into a leather pouch before being placed in front of the door. Free coffee was served in the lobby each morning.

My husband and I noticed that the concierge desk was staffed from early in the morning until late late at night...very helpful and friendly people. As a matter of fact, we didn't run into one staff member who WASN'T friendly and helpful.

Valet cost was typical of an urban hotel--we've recently paid the same amount to park cars in both Denver and San Antonio hotels. No big deal. The staff usually had cold bottles of water waiting for us whenever we requested our car.

The pool area was the one big disappointment of the hotel. Plain, small and boring. Couldn't they do better than this? Very small complaint, though, when the Pacific Ocean is just steps away!

All in all, a great stay and I would return if the opportunity presented itself.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the pool area
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Tess23
Hawthorne, NJ
Reviewed September 17, 2006

Hi,
In June my family and I took a trip to California. We stayed at this hotel our last night before we had to come back to New Jersey. This hotel certainly ended our trip on the right note.
Negatives:
-Drinks were very pricey
-Service around the pool was slow
-The hotel charges for parking which is tacky and odd

Positives:
-Hotel services are excellent. Staff is very prompt
-The restaurant is a great dining experience and overlooks the pool area.
-The hotel itself is located in a very close proximity to all the important attractions which is great
-Room is nicely decorated and great linens on the bed.
-The hotel is very clean .
- The pool area is relaxing with ample chairs for privacy and the spa is well done.

This Marriot is definitely worth the visit. Unfortunately, however, I would not recomend going to Santa Monica. I live in New Jersey and frequent New York City. I would compare Santa Monica to Coney Island, Rockaway Beach, or Daytona Beach. It is overcrowded, appears to be very unsafe, and lots of strange people hanging around. I thought I was used to seeing weird people in New York, but Santa Monica tops it. At night we took a walk to the shopping area and I would not recommend it. I wouldn't leave the hotel after sunset.
Santa Monica pier was run down and very dumpy. The ocean water looked filthy and so did the beach. I certainly would not let my children out of my sight in this area. After paying so much for the hotel, and then hearing so many people say how nice Santa Monica is, it was very disappointing. It certainly wasn't glamarous.

Stayed June 2006