“It's not that nice”

JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed December 27, 2009

This really doesn't seem like a four start hotel. it's more like a nice chain three star. It's across the street from the beach and the walk is ugly. The pool is too small and the deck is crowded. One of my little kids puked a little in the pool (what can I say? - it happens) and when I informed a staff member he didn't care. I don't know what health department code is on that but he should have at least made a show of examining the water for the sake of any other guest that might have witnessed it. Makes me think they don't maintain the cleanliness of the pool since nobody seemed to be responsible for it.

The location is convenient to the pier, so that's nice. If we went back I would stay at Shutters or just go for a cheaper chain. I wouldn't choose this place again.

It's not awful, it's just not very good.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,305)

Reviewed December 26, 2009

My daughter and I spent a week at this hotel and were amazed by the wonderful hospitality everyone showed us. Due to a medical condition I had requested some adjustments -- a mini-fridge in the room and some accommodation by the kitchen staff. It was also my daughter's birthday, which I mentioned in passing.

Although I had booked one of the least expensive rooms, when we arrived at the hotel, we were instead given a beautiful room with a private terrace that was to be our home for the week. That evening ,my daughter received a personal letter from the hotel chef outlining a menu especially created to meet her dietary requirements. I later learned that the entire kitchen staff had received special instruction to make sure she could eat comfortably.

Throughout our stay, the staff were helpful, cheerful and so friendly. Everyone -- from the concierge to the front desk staff to the doormen -- was unfailingly polite. I did not encounter "attitude" anywhere.

I can't say enough about the hospitality of the hotel -- in fact, it was the highlight of our stay in Santa Monica. Yes, it was expensive, although not excessively so compared to the average price for a hotel room in Santa Monica. But in our case it was well worth the price.

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed December 15, 2009

The hotel was clean and the location was great.

It was way too expensive for what it was... there was no real sense of oppulence as you usually get with a JW Marriott. There was no real difference between this and a regular Marriott.

The room was pretty basic, not a lot of extras for price (no free internet etc). The valet was highway robbery for $30/day however, the staff was very nice!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2009

Spent a week at the hotel during the recent American Film Market. The location is good with respect to walking distances to the beach, shopping and cinemas I paid the convention rate which was high, on top of which I was charged $40 per night for my car which I felt should have been included with that high room rate. Beds and bedding comfortable but overall I agree with other reviews that the hotel feels like a cheaper Courtyard by Marriott. I had a room on the fourth floor with a partial ocean view. The windows are fixed so no way to get fresh air. Also, although I was not too close to the elevator I could clearly hear the noise of it going up and down which was annoying

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank dei4
Reviewed October 10, 2009

I went w/my husband and 8yr old daughter for business/leisure...we are from the SF Bay area and used our rewards and cash to pay for two nights. The hotel is in a good location, but not as close as I wanted to be to the beach. The views from the rooms are partial because there is another building in front of it and you have to cross a little back street and a parking lot to get to the beach...not ideal for carrying beach chairs, etc..so, we drove down the street and parked literally on the beach (Grover Beach access off Rose St.). It cost us $6 and was better to have our car nearby. We thought the parking and the 'nickle and diming' for everything was a sham..but that comes w/big box chain hotels...I couldn't stand to waste $36/nite for parking, so we parked on the street w/no problem.,..just be aware of the alternate street meter parking for cleaning..or you have to get up at 3am vs 9am to feed the meter. We found it easier to just drive everywhere we wanted to go from the hotel, except anything that was truly walking distance. Some of the people working in the hotel were nice, but the night (some day crew also) crew,,wow,,need an attitude adjustment! I was also disappointed with the pool area, but that's what you get,,,and NO JACUZZI!! For the price we paid, my gawd,,where's the Jacuzzi??? The spa seemed nice, but as an avid Spa goer, I wasn't impressed. I wasn't impressed with the Hotel in general being a Luxury Hotel,,just doesn't have that 'touch'...more like a high end Holiday Inn reserved for older folks (60+). The rooms were decent and a good size, but when we opened the balcony door, it reeked of cigarettes,,housekeeping had to bring us several cans of deodorizer to get rid of the smell! The hotel needs to realize that it's losing its luster and reconsider the rates and their service OR provide more,,,like comp continental breakfast,,,drink specials,,,etc,,,We left feeling..'what did we get for our money??"...Had I really known,,I would have NOT stayed there and saved our rewards for a real Mariott!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank COPWITHKIDS
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Arrived in LA very early in the morning after a red-eye flight. Did not sleep on the flight, and at check in, hoped my room would be ready. I was greeted, at first, by the Bell staff, then the front desk personnel. Everyone was friendly, chipper and helpful. I did get my room, right away. The view from the room of Santa Monica pier and the beach was a great sight. After showering, I climbed into bed and had a wonderful, restful sleep. I stayed at this property for two days, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was especially close to shopping and more restaurants in downtown Santa Monica. I especially loved the Farmer's Market that happened on the Wednesday that I was there.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Gaylien
Reviewed September 14, 2009

I stayed on points. This is rated by Marriott as a level "8" which means it took a lot of my points. For that rating I expected much better service. On the positive side the room was really nice, big balcony with ocean view. Location is also great and in walking distance of the pier and the third street promenade. We did receive great speedy service from the valet. But the restaurant was very slow. We only did breakfast. Total cost was between 30 and 40 dollars for the two of us. For that price I would expect excellent service but it was generally slow and the staff was forgetful of some requested items like extra cream, sugar, etc. Also went to grab some drinks to take back to our balcony one day about 2 PM. It took about 30min to finally get someone to make a margarita for my wife. In fairness she did say it was good. We told the concierge that we were going to a wedding and wanted to by the Bride and Groom a bottle of Champaign. He gives us directions to a place called AMPM. We get there and it turns out to be a gas station?!?!?!? Luckily my phone redirected us to store called Ducky's which had a decent selection. We didn't have much contact with the front desk staff. But check-in did go smoothly. House keeping kept the room clean. However the hotel did not provide turn down services which, again, I would expect for a "level 8" hotel.
Overall I think this hotel is riding high on its location. The rooms are nice but they need to improve the service aspect if they are going to market this as one of there highest level hotels.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple