“Not Great”

JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot
Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Generally disappointed by the (lack of) service at this hotel, which for its brand and location, should provide a much better experience. Staff are aloof and condescending. When I arrived after a very long road trip, at least five of them stood and watched as I struggled in through the doors with my luggage.

They did not provide me the room that was promised (with a sea view), the internet did not work for the first two hours I was in the room. When I called room service to ask for a spoon--just a spoon, it took them more than forty-five minutes to bring me one. On at least three occasions, I called the front desk with a request or question and nobody answered. I do not know any respectable hotel where the receptionist would simply not pick up.

I filled out my breakfast order and left it on my doorknob and surprise, it never showed up the next morning. No mention of it, no apologies, and when I later inquired about it, there was no follow up, so I went and ate breakfast at Shutters next door.

There is a serious management issue at this hotel, and I concur with those who talk about distracted staff all hanging out in the lobby. They are far more concerned with socializing than they are with doing their jobs. It's unfortunate, since I paid around $400/night for this room. I will not be coming back and I would advise others to pick a different hotel in Santa Monica. This one has it all wrong, and I am shocked that Marriott would allow one of their properties to exist in such a sorry state.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Richard G
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Let me start by saying how saddened I am, to hear about your experience at our hotel. I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced during your recent stay. We continually try to do our very best for all of our guests, but unfortunately, sometimes we do fail. We will look at all the specific examples of where we failed to meet your expectations and our own JW Standards.
I hope you will reconsider staying with us on your next visit and give us an opportunity to show you a true Le Merigot experience.

Caroline

Write a ReviewReviews (1,256)

Reviewed May 9, 2014

Gold Member:

*Upgraded to a mini suite with beautiful view
*Nice room!
*Super Chic and clean
*Nice beds
*Service was good
*Offered a late check out but didn't need it.
*Little pricey ($500 a night) so of course it was nice.
*Food was excellent

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2014

This is complicated and sorry, I can't tell the story in a few words. I really struggled with what rating to give this hotel. The property itself is what you would expect from a Marriott but maybe not from a JW. It is nicely located with a brief walk to the beach and the pier.

If your trip is business and this location is close proximity, the hotel is probably OK (except see below about my frustrations with disappearing items - maybe even "theft").

If your trip is pleasure, find somewhere else to go. This part of California is really in decay. It is very sad. Case in point - there is a Nordstrom a few blocks away. I walked there to pick up a few items and couldn't help but realize the people on the walk there. Once inside, I happened to use the restroom. It was the filthiest restroom by far I have ever seen in a department store, much less a Nordstrom. I went to let them know and they explained that there are many homeless people who essentially bathe in this restroom. Now I am all for programs that support the homeless and show that with financial support but such an environment is not where I would want to spend a vacation.

That brings me to Venice Beach which is very close. Once quirky, eclectic and fun....it now seems more a place for the really sad down and out. I have now stayed at two hotels in the area who have told me "not to go there after dark." Ugh. How sad.

In all fairness and trying to be balanced...the beach right behind the Marriott is nice and if you head to the right, rather than the left, it is lovely. It is also right by the pier if that is important to you.

Now my other issues with the hotel. I had to move rooms at about 9pm because there was a major fight going on in the room next to me. I stay in hotel rooms all the time and this is very rare. In fact, it is the first time I have made this request. Clearly not the fault of the hotel and this by itself had nothing to do with my rating. I packed quickly and moved to the new room. Immediately, I realized that I left a pair of shoes behind. Yes, I am sure I had them. The front desk team didn't have much of a sense of urgency to recover my shoes. They said the housekeeping team didn't find them and they couldn't go in the room and check since there was now a new occupant.

When I checked again, they weren't helpful at all and kept asking if I am sure I had them. Well, the never turned up and no one at the hotel seemed to care much. In fact, despite my request with two people, they never even followed up. This is the first time that this has ever happened to me before. I have left things in hotel rooms and not remembered until much later and I always have recovered them. It is not so much the fact that the shoes didn't turn up, it is the fact that the Marriott staff didn't really seem to care. It was very clear that it was my fault/problem.

I definitely would not stay here again for these reasons and certainly would not recommend it to anyone in my network for business or personal travel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank austinjjc
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

I would like to start off by apologizing that we were unable to locate your shoes and that you felt our staff was indifferent towards it. I will personally check with our housekeeping manager to see if they were able to locate them. Your comments are of great concern to us and I want you to know that we are addressing the issues you have brought to our attention. I apologize for the lack of empathy you encountered during your stay and I hope you will reconsider staying with us on your next visit.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

This hotel does not meet the standards you would expect from a JW and surely not worth the money. The room decor is dated and the rugs are stained. I've stayed in Courtyards that are nicer.

We had negotiated a lower business rate with the manager Andrew in advance and after we checked in they would not honor that rate. We cut our stay short and moved to another Marriott.

Look at other options before settling for this hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Steve D
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and saddened that we didn't live up to your expectations of a JW hotel. We just to finished our renovation in our guestrooms and are excited to showcase them. I also would like to apologize for not receiving the pre-negotiated rate, if you email me the details of your reservation I will be happy to look into this a further.
I hope you give us another opportunity and I will personally ensure that you have a true Le Merigot experience.

Caroline
Caroline.appel@lemerigothotel.com

Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Spent 4 days here at a conference. Staff is terrific. Rooms are great. Right next to the beach, the pier, and several terrific restaurants. Our conference itself was terrific. Only grievance is I didn't get my early morning wake up call I had ordered. Good thing my personal alarm woke me up. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your positive comments and happy you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Very good location in Santa Monica, service was quick and professional upon arrival. Room was good, not great. Was hoping for a nicer room since I'm a Marriott Platinum, but overall room was still very nice. Beds were excellent, housekeeping very good, just wished there were more power outlets.
We had breakfast on property both days and it was very good, again service was very good.
Property is easy access to the beach, shopping and restaurants.
Pool is pretty small and there is surprisingly no Hot Tub. We didn't use the on site Spa.
Seen some comments that this property shouldn't be considered a "JW" and in some ways I agree, it might be more of an autograph collection type of property, but the service / professionalism is very much a JW property. Lastly I left my Bose Headphones in my room and called to report it, within 24 hours they located them and shipped them back to me, big THANKS

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Hagearty
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We recently stayed at the hotel for my daughters high school spring break. Traveling from Chicago the purpose of our trip was to get some overly needed California sunshine and visit UCLA. The hotel was amazing! Once we arrived at the hotel we were greeted at check in by a young lady whom was extremely professional, polite, and friendly.The room accomodations were also great. The room was recently updated and modern. We had a partial view of the ocean my wife and daugther loved it! Throughout our stay the staff was very friendly and accomodating. We could not have asked for more from this hotel. The location is perfect for either a bike ride down the beach, fine dining in Santa Monica, or just hanging out. I highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again. Thanks to the entire staff for an amazing experience!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family