“Very good... Just not great”

JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot
Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

The location was ideal. Walking distance to the pier, beach, restaurants, & Third Street Promenade. The room was clean, quiet, and comfortable. I just felt the facility and decor was worthy of being a Marriott or a Renaissance instead of a "JW Marriott". Every thing was pricey but I didn't feel I got much in return. Probably stay again when the room rates are more reasonable.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot

Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a long weekend. Upon arrival the staff went out if their way to welcome us. The hotel setting is beautiful with a courtyard that includes outdoor dinning and swimming pool. The location is perfect, with the beach across the street from the back of the hotel. The Santa Monica Pier is two blocks away.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steven W
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I stayed for a long weekend at the Le Merigot for my first time being in the Los Angeles area, and had a blast. I've stayed at a couple JW Marriotts and this one is by the far the most luxurious, everything gave a "at the beach" vibe. The room was comfortable and luxurous as well, the only nit pick I would say is the view, the way the hotel is set up you really have more of a city view, you really have to look west to see the beach; to me this wasn't a big deal as I would rather be out on the beach than looking at it.
I did not take advantage of the Spa (there were at least 3 "spa elevators" on my floor) but it looks very nice and noteworthy. Keep in mind if you stay here you will be using the valet to park your car (as an extra expense) but they are very kind and courteous and will always make sure you have a bottle of water in hand before you leave.
This location is NOT on the beach, but its really really close and it really wasn't a problem in fact it makes it easier to get out on the PCH. To be clear, you are a 5 min walk to the pier and a 5 min walk to downtown. For the luxury and experience I feel like I got a very good value, if you are shooting for a Santa Monica vacation you cannot go wrong staying here.

Room Tip: The view isn't worth extra money
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2014

This JW Marriott is close to the beach and the Santa Monica Pier. The staff was gracious and attentive. I ate breakfast every morning in the hotel restaurant, and it was very good. The bed was comfortable, the shower was hot, and the TV worked perfectly. I had requested a room that was away from the elevators, and based upon other reviews, it seems to have been a good idea.
All in all, a good four-night stay.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Let's begin with the good - and there is a lot of good! The hotel is in a great location next to the Santa Monica pier. Lots of fun things to do near by - lots of shopping and restaurants. The lobby is lovely and the bar terrace is really nice.
The rooms are nicely appointed and the beds are very comfortable. Nice pool area and gym. Valet parking staff and front desk staff were fantastic.

This hotel would have received a perfect score if not for the distracted staff in the restaurant. On my last day I decided to have breakfast in the restaurant. The food was wonderful - but the service was terrible. My waitress - and all the wait staff for that matter were congregated in the bar area watching videos on their phones while I sat waiting for service - waiting for coffee refills - waiting for jelly etc. They were completely distracted and not interested in providing good service. When I needed my bill I had to get up and find my waitress who - big surprise was texting on her phone completely unaware that I was standing there. On my way out - big surprise - the hostess was texting on her phone. As a business owner - I find his really unacceptable. Why are these employees being paid to text and watch videos? Where was the management? I will definitely stay in this hotel again - but I will avoid eating in the restaurant. There are plenty of other options available near by.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Thank you for recent TripAdvisor review with specific examples of where we failed to meet your exceptions on your recent visit. I apologize for the lapses in service you encountered in the Restaurant. Texting and watching videos is not tolerated and I will be sure to address this with the restaurant staff.

If you have any further concerns or comments, please don't hesitate to contact me at Caroline.appel@lemerigothotel.com

Reviewed January 30, 2014

The last time I had this bad of a hotel experience was 10 years ago at a 2 star hotel in Inverness, Scotland where Norwegian North Sea oil workers would stay to get drunk. No drinkers here, just elevators that whine, whir and hum all night long. We made our reservations 3 weeks early with our usual request of quiet room away from elevator. The staff graciously moved us at our request after spending the first night next to the elevator. The second night was in a room across the hall from a different elevator with the motor and equipment for it apparently in the wall right behind our heads.
The staff is nice and helpful, but the facility is tired and needs a redo.
We got lucky--the Loews next store has availability. We are moving there for the next 3 nights.

Room Tip: Check with Loew's first
Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tomsN8438DX
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and saddened that we didn't live up to your expectations. We are about to finished our renovation project in our guestrooms and are excited to showcase them.
We hope to someday welcome you back to our hotel so we can show you a true Le Merigot experience.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

My wife and I were looking for a two night getaway to celebrate our anniversary. Perfect beach spot in Santa Monica,CA. is the Le Merigot . It was so foggy when we arrived at night that drove past it.
It is a smallish Marriott hotel but service was excellent from the time we arrived until we departed. Everyone, no matter how small the request, was done cheerfully and always included "my pleasure". We were on a Romantic package which included breakfast, dinner, and valet parking with deluxe balcony category room. The meals without exception were outstanding. My wife had the lamb our first night and enjoyed it so that i had it the next night. One of the reasons for staying at the Le Merigot was that we attended Cirque du Soleil (Totum) at the Pier which is only 5-10 minute stroll. Other reviewers mention refurbishing and as we were checking out new light fixtures were being installed, so management must have gotten the word.

Room Tip: Oceanside of hotel is quieter
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Thank you for your kind review; we truly appreciate feedback from our guests and happy belated anniversary. We are about to finished our renovation project in our guestrooms and are excited to showcase them.