“Exceptional service and great location”

JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot
Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Oak Ridge, New Jersey
“Exceptional service and great location”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Stayed here right before the holidays in Dec 2013 for one night with family and couldn't have been happier with our choice.

Pros:
The service: exceptional service separates this property from others in its class. Every employee couldn't have been more friendly, front desk extremely helpful and accommodating. I had a last minute room change (and got an upgraded room with a huge balcony on top floor) and needed a feather free room and they had the change over completed in record time.
The room: clean, comfy bed (had a rollaway in a king room and still felt roomy), HUGE balcony in our room on top floor
The location: A very short walk to the 3rd Ave Promenade and the Pier
The bar/food: basic but solid menu with average hotel pricing served in lobby bar as well as restaurant
The lobby/outdoor space: well appointed and comfortable furniture with heaters and good access to the beach, limited view of beach from outdoor patio.

Cons:
Required valet parking: at $35 (which is average for city parking) it is always disappointing to have to add that high fee into room cost when price shopping
Wifi fee: $15 daily wifi fee (I think this should be free at property of this class)
Cost: Pricey with out the AAA discount I was able to use (I wouldn't have booked without it)

When I stay in the Santa Monica area in the future I will definitely look to stay in this hotel again if I can get a decent rate.

Room Tip: We had city view, top floor, with large patio/balcony. They are currently doing construction across...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and wishing you a happy 2014.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Wow! I wasn't sure what to expect but the Santa Monica JW Marriott was superb in their customer service, professionalism and friendliness. I made reservations from their website the morning of our arrival as we were going to LA to see The Lion King. We got a great rate and from the moment my family of five checked in until we left 24 hours later the JW Marriott became an essential part of our outstanding experience. We're pretty flexible and when we were shown a room with a King bed with roll-aways coming we didn't complain. Then the front desk host who checked us in came into the room and offered a much larger room with two queen beds. The room was very clean with plenty of natural light. We had a quick dinner in the lobby bar as we had to get to the theater and the food was amazing! The crab soup is highly recommended. By the way the lobby is quiet, elegant yet not stuffy or uptight. The bartenders and wait staff are friendly and the service is excellent. The following morning I went out for a run on the Santa Monica boardwalk and when I returned to the hotel I was offered a bottle of water (which was also done upon check-in) and there was coffee in the lobby! When we checked out we left our bags with the hotel and walked around Santa Monica and then rented bikes on the boardwalk. It's the shortest weekend getaway we've taken but one of the best and I'm thankful to the JW Marriott for being part of it. One more thing, if you go make sure to bring your bathing suit. The outdoor pool is heated and my kids were disappointed we didn't bring ours.

Room Tip: Our room was on the Ocean Avenue side and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this beautiful review. Happy Holidays and wishing you a healthy and prosperous New Years.
IL- USA
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I checked in Dec 2013 and found everyone to be helpful, kind and accommodating. When I asked for a feather-free room due to allergies, they rushed to change the bedding. When I forgot my cell phone in the taxi from LAX, they personally called the taxi company and managed to somehow track it down. I honestly had no issues with the hotel and even took advantage of the December special at the spa to get an excellent massage by Steven...I highly recommend it. And I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for your comments. Happy Holidays to you and your family.
Corona, California
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Positive: Nice venue, upscale, very nice people

Negative: Forced valet at $38 per day. Wifi is not free. Staff is incompetent.

My Experience: I checked into my room on the 3rd floor and found that it did not have a bath tub which I was greatly looking forward to. Instead it had a handicapped shower. I also registered as an individual yet it had 2 beds. I called the front desk to request another room if one was available due to it not having a bath tub. The employee seemed so confused and asked me, "Is doesn't have a bath tub???" When I told her it had a handicapped shower instead, she apologized and said she would get me a new room. I was on hold for nearly 15 minutes minutes while she searched for a new room. I ask, "You guys must be really busy right now!" She says, "Not really. Only semi." And I was wondering why it was taking so long then. She finally instructs me to go to room 221 and a bell hop would be meet there with new keys.

So I go to room 221, which I could already tell from the outside that it was a suite, and wait there and after ten minutes, guess what!? No one shows up. So I go downstairs to the front desk and the employee greets me and says, "I'm so sorry for the delay, I'm just trying to get you set up with a different room." I said,"I was told to go to room 221 and that a bell hop would meet me there but no one showed up." He says, "I know, Leo was supposed to go, but I had big plans for a really accomodating room for you, but it's not working out." So he gave me a $10 drink or food credit and assigned me a new room, a regular room and offerred to have the bell hop escort me there. I said, "Well I don't need the bell hop anymore since I'm down here getting the new keys myself."

So I get to my 3rd room now, it's 11:30 at night and I'm in bed, not wearing much and A MAN COMES INTO MY ROOM!!! "Hello?" I said, "Hi." He says. "This room is taken." I said. "Oh, well they gave me keys to this room." The hotel double booked my room and gave keys to my room to some guy!!!

I called the front desk to complain and they promptly brought me new room keys, but when I asked to talk to a manager, I was put on a hold and didn't want to wait on them anymore since they have had very slow service thus far. So I went downstairs to talk to the hotel manager and of course, they were not available and were not going to be in again for several hours. So I paid $300 a night, there were no amentities with this except for a hair dryer, a coffee maker, and a TV. The water bottle in the room was $6 and the Wifi was $15 per day. So lame.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Krystle L
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
I sincerely apologize for your experience, as we strive for excellence in everything we do.
Your comments are of great concern to us and I want you to know that we are addressing the issues you have brought to our attention. You can reach me at caroline.appel@lemerigothotel.com and I would be delighted to speak to you further regarding your stay.

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We hope to someday welcome you back to our hotel so we can show you a true Le Merigot experience.

Best wishes for a happy and prosperous New Year!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

I'm sad to write this review because the staff is exceptional. Everyone from the valet to the concierge was extremely pleasant and inviting, not just for this trip but during other times I have gone there for meetings but not as a hotel guest. Kudos to management for holding their hotel to this high level of customer service. Because, however, the room smelled strongly of pet urine, I had to give a poor rating. I guess they allow pets here. As a pet owner I think it's great that hotels can be pet-friendly, however if they agree to do so the hotel has to invest more in the up-keep of the hotel. If the room smells or urine, that is extremely unsanitary and can put guests as risk for health issues. No excuse there. In addition I rate the quality of the hotel as poor in the guest room area. The walls need to be re-wallpapered, painted and re-carpeted. The hotel I assume gets a lot of guests due to its proximity to the beach, just as many other hotels. I assume due to the high demand that they don't bother making their guest area acceptable. If you have seen the lobby area, that's the best kept area of the hotel by a significant degree. Again, very sad to give this review because the staff is wonderful. By the way, I didn't report the urine smell to the staff because I was only in my room to sleep. After ten minutes of being in the room, the urine smell would disappear as you got used to the smell.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CMB-BOB
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience. We are currently replacing all the guestroom carpets and are in the process of upgrading our guestrooms. Also, had you promptly notified the front desk of your concerns, we would have been more than happy to move you to a more desirable room. We look forward to showing you that we are working hard to make sure each visit meets your expectations and our high standards. We hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Spent 2 nights early December just before a wedding. Nice room, great view, excellent bed and wonderful service and amenities. Great location for walking palisade park and walkways. Close to major shopping, Santa Monica pier and beaches, all a short walk. No concierge lounge, but excellent food (a little pricey) but we felt at home. The manager Kei Beumer was personally attentive and concierge and bell men knew us and welcomed is back on each return. I would recommend as home port to see Santa Monica!

Stayed December 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Happy Holidays,
Caroline
Mason, Ohio
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Our first trip to California for Thanksgiving. Hotel was lovely, quiet, close to the beach, CLEAN, did I mention CLEAN. Beds are too soft but everyone has their own liking. Service was great, along with the weather. Drinks and tapas on the terrace wonderful. Will always remember the experience and hope to go back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cindy L
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Thank you for your positive review and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Happy Holidays,