“Great service, perfect location and comfortable rooms.”

JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot
Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I checked in Dec 2013 and found everyone to be helpful, kind and accommodating. When I asked for a feather-free room due to allergies, they rushed to change the bedding. When I forgot my cell phone in the taxi from LAX, they personally called the taxi company and managed to somehow track it down. I honestly had no issues with the hotel and even took advantage of the December special at the spa to get an excellent massage by Steven...I highly recommend it. And I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Thank you for your comments. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot

Reviewed December 11, 2013

Positive: Nice venue, upscale, very nice people

Negative: Forced valet at $38 per day. Wifi is not free. Staff is incompetent.

My Experience: I checked into my room on the 3rd floor and found that it did not have a bath tub which I was greatly looking forward to. Instead it had a handicapped shower. I also registered as an individual yet it had 2 beds. I called the front desk to request another room if one was available due to it not having a bath tub. The employee seemed so confused and asked me, "Is doesn't have a bath tub???" When I told her it had a handicapped shower instead, she apologized and said she would get me a new room. I was on hold for nearly 15 minutes minutes while she searched for a new room. I ask, "You guys must be really busy right now!" She says, "Not really. Only semi." And I was wondering why it was taking so long then. She finally instructs me to go to room 221 and a bell hop would be meet there with new keys.

So I go to room 221, which I could already tell from the outside that it was a suite, and wait there and after ten minutes, guess what!? No one shows up. So I go downstairs to the front desk and the employee greets me and says, "I'm so sorry for the delay, I'm just trying to get you set up with a different room." I said,"I was told to go to room 221 and that a bell hop would meet me there but no one showed up." He says, "I know, Leo was supposed to go, but I had big plans for a really accomodating room for you, but it's not working out." So he gave me a $10 drink or food credit and assigned me a new room, a regular room and offerred to have the bell hop escort me there. I said, "Well I don't need the bell hop anymore since I'm down here getting the new keys myself."

So I get to my 3rd room now, it's 11:30 at night and I'm in bed, not wearing much and A MAN COMES INTO MY ROOM!!! "Hello?" I said, "Hi." He says. "This room is taken." I said. "Oh, well they gave me keys to this room." The hotel double booked my room and gave keys to my room to some guy!!!

I called the front desk to complain and they promptly brought me new room keys, but when I asked to talk to a manager, I was put on a hold and didn't want to wait on them anymore since they have had very slow service thus far. So I went downstairs to talk to the hotel manager and of course, they were not available and were not going to be in again for several hours. So I paid $300 a night, there were no amentities with this except for a hair dryer, a coffee maker, and a TV. The water bottle in the room was $6 and the Wifi was $15 per day. So lame.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Krystle L
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

I sincerely apologize for your experience, as we strive for excellence in everything we do.
Your comments are of great concern to us and I want you to know that we are addressing the issues you have brought to our attention. You can reach me at caroline.appel@lemerigothotel.com and I would be delighted to speak to you further regarding your stay.

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We hope to someday welcome you back to our hotel so we can show you a true Le Merigot experience.

Best wishes for a happy and prosperous New Year!

Reviewed December 10, 2013

I'm sad to write this review because the staff is exceptional. Everyone from the valet to the concierge was extremely pleasant and inviting, not just for this trip but during other times I have gone there for meetings but not as a hotel guest. Kudos to management for holding their hotel to this high level of customer service. Because, however, the room smelled strongly of pet urine, I had to give a poor rating. I guess they allow pets here. As a pet owner I think it's great that hotels can be pet-friendly, however if they agree to do so the hotel has to invest more in the up-keep of the hotel. If the room smells or urine, that is extremely unsanitary and can put guests as risk for health issues. No excuse there. In addition I rate the quality of the hotel as poor in the guest room area. The walls need to be re-wallpapered, painted and re-carpeted. The hotel I assume gets a lot of guests due to its proximity to the beach, just as many other hotels. I assume due to the high demand that they don't bother making their guest area acceptable. If you have seen the lobby area, that's the best kept area of the hotel by a significant degree. Again, very sad to give this review because the staff is wonderful. By the way, I didn't report the urine smell to the staff because I was only in my room to sleep. After ten minutes of being in the room, the urine smell would disappear as you got used to the smell.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank CMB-BOB
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience. We are currently replacing all the guestroom carpets and are in the process of upgrading our guestrooms. Also, had you promptly notified the front desk of your concerns, we would have been more than happy to move you to a more desirable room. We look forward to showing you that we are working hard to make sure each visit meets your expectations and our high standards. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Spent 2 nights early December just before a wedding. Nice room, great view, excellent bed and wonderful service and amenities. Great location for walking palisade park and walkways. Close to major shopping, Santa Monica pier and beaches, all a short walk. No concierge lounge, but excellent food (a little pricey) but we felt at home. The manager Kei Beumer was personally attentive and concierge and bell men knew us and welcomed is back on each return. I would recommend as home port to see Santa Monica!

Stayed: December 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Happy Holidays,

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Our first trip to California for Thanksgiving. Hotel was lovely, quiet, close to the beach, CLEAN, did I mention CLEAN. Beds are too soft but everyone has their own liking. Service was great, along with the weather. Drinks and tapas on the terrace wonderful. Will always remember the experience and hope to go back.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cindy L
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Thank you for your positive review and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Happy Holidays,

Reviewed December 5, 2013

I had planned months in advance, to enjoy a few days in santa Monica, over thanksgiving weekend. When I arrived on thanksgiving afternoon, first, the valet tried to take my car, with my luggage in it, before I had even checked in.
Then, I stood at the empty "front desk", which I must say is not at all welcoming in its design, for ten minutes, before someone appeared and asked if I was being helped.
When I booked the room, I called and spoke to someone who assured me that my room was an ocean facing balcony room. The room had a balcony that was not at all private (short little walls divided the adjoining balconies) and the ocean could be seen through a small sliver between part of the building.

I decided not to let this disappointment wreck my holiday, and went off to join family for dinner. When I returned, I went straight to bed, and was exhausted after traveling all day from the east coast, and a big turkey dinner.

Sadly, I was completely unable to sleep! The bed was so soft, my back went into a terrible spasm, and no matter how or where I positioned myself, on either bed, it was impossible. I have traveled my entire life and stayed in hundreds of hotels, never before have I experienced such discomfort. I ended up having to get into the shower at 3 am to relieve the pain... But found there, curly dark hairs in a corner of the tub, which were NOT mine (yuck, and another first, for any hotel stay!)

Finally at 6 am I called the front desk, and let them know about my dissatisfaction. The gentleman told me that the front desk manager would arrive at 6:30, and he would have her call me immediately to work out a solution. By 7 am, she had not called... So I went down to the front desk, where I was told the manager had not yet arrived...
At 7:08, a woman walked in the door, and I was told she was the front desk manager. When I expressed my frustration, I was told that the general manager could come "out"to speak with me.
to his credit, he offered to drop the charges for the night, however, he did not offer an upgrade in room, or express any true empathy for the terrible experience that I'd had.

Just a couple of hours later,I checked into a very nice hotel, just down the road, slept peacefully and comfortably for a few hours, enjoyed the other half of that day with family,and slept well that night.

To their credit, later that day I received an email from the front desk manager, apologizing for my experience,and offering to put a credit on my rewards account.

Sadly, this was my second bad service experience in a Marriott in the past few months. Not sure I'm going to choose these hotels in the future.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank rhodeygem

I sincerely apologize for the experience you had at Le Merigot and can certainly understand your frustration with the situation. Your comments are of great concern to me. You can reach me directly at 310-899-6121 and I would be delighted to speak with you further regarding your stay.

Caroline Appel

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stayed at this Marriott for a wedding. The rooms smelled mildewy and the windows did not open. We had to stay on the first floor to get a room with a small patio and fresh air. It was a bit noisy, but bed was comfortable. There were nicer options not included in wedding rate on higher floors.

The bar and patio were nice, but pool area seemed cramped and no view of ocean at all. You have to cross the street to get to the beach.

The bar menu and breakfast were good.

The location was convenient....close to the pier, the promenade and nice restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask if the windows open!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Thank you for providing your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. We are disappointed that we didn't meet your expectations. Please contact me directly if you are planning another trip to Santa Monica, I will personally ensure that you will have an unforgettable stay.

Happy Holiday,