“Near the beach and pier in Santa Monica” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot

JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot
Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Cranford, New Jersey
“Near the beach and pier in Santa Monica”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

Business/pleasure trip spanning 5 days...upon arrival, we were greeted by a cheerful and very helpful staff. Lobby area smaller than its neighbors but comfy and clean. Lobby bar is quite small (perhaps 8-10 seats), though cheery and seating was very comfortable. We found ourselves looking to other hotels for ambiance and décor in this regard.

Our first room was spacious and well-appointed, very comfortable bedding. In this room, there was no view: we looked out upon the back of a hotel wall. (But we understand that not every room can offer a view.) We upgraded our room after two days, and had a fine partial ocean view. This room was also clean and well-appointed...desk space, flat screen television, refrigerator, etc. It was somewhat annoying being charged for internet access. In addition, the ice machines on the floors were "hidden". They were behind unmarked doors, apparently not intended for guests. Instead, a small tent sign placed on top of the room's ice buckets advised guests to call for service to obtain ice. I'll get my own ice when I want it, thank you.

The hotel is not ocean front. And the ocean views are mostly obscured by a very large 7-8 story apartment building directly in front of the hotel, between the hotel and the ocean. Views are really only possible on the upper floors. To reach the beach, one has to travel through the hotel, use several staircases, pass by the pool area, cross the street (Appian Way), and walk across a parking lot before reaching the ocean front promenade.

The pool is spacious and clean, but does not offer a beach view. Pool-side service was attentive and friendly. The gym is located adjacent to the pool area, and it contains the necessary items for a cardio or strength workout.

The lobby featured coffee in the mornings and lemon-flavored water in the afternoons, a nice touch.

Throughout our stay, the staff impressed us with their genuine friendliness and helpfulness. They made our visit very warm.

This is a very nice hotel, and we enjoyed our stay. It is very close to the Pier and the ocean front promenade. Give it a try.

Room Tip: Careful room selection needed to obtain ocean views. Apartment building across street blocks views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Lambertville, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

My wife and 2.5 year old daughter stayed here and we had no complaints. The hotel is modern and clean, and the location in Santa Monica can't be beaten. The staff, from the valet parking guys to the concierge and everyone else, were all extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel is pretty and spacious, but it doesn't overwhelm. The pool is nothing amazing and it's a tad small, but it was perfect to cool off and have food and/or drinks. It's not a "resort" pool, but that shouldn't prevent anyone from staying here. Our room was a standard room overlooking the courtyard, which was very comfortable. It was large enough to easily fit the port-o-crib that the hotel delivered for my daughter.

The property is admittedly on the expensive side, but we found a deal online and it was well worth the money we paid, which was about 50% off the rack rate. Still, the place delivers and you do get what you pay for...in this case, all positives.

Room Tip: have breakfast next door at corsa's diner...more selections.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fresno, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

I have stayed at Marriott properties for over 25 years and service has always been very good. This one seemed understaffed. I met the manager in the elevator and he appeared very helpful, taking an area map up to a patron. He never returned my calls or emails. My car wheels had been damaged by their valet. Street parking around this property is very limited and they do not offer a self park option. I was told by the valet manager, Ricardo Carrera, he would review the security footage. He called me, telling me he reviewed the footage and gave me "paperwork" to submit and told me to include photos of the damage. He said he would submit my claim to Marriott's insurance company, Gallagher Bassett Services, Inc. I did not hear from anyone, so after ten days, I started trying to reach Mr. Carrera. I could not leave a voice mail for Mr. Carrera. I would call and be put on hold but never transferred to him. When I had spoken to him previously,he had was very apologetic and explained he was very busy. It was not until I left a couple of messages for the hotel manager that I got a call from an insurance agent, Wil Tappin. This was a few weeks after Mr. Carrera had the claim. Mr. Tappin had no record of the claim. Mr. Tappin told me it was the policy of the hotel to NOT pay claims on car damages. I explained to him what happened and he asked me to send in copies of what I had submitted to Mr. Carrera. Mr. Tappin told me that there would be no proof the damage was caused by them because their cameras would have already over written any footage. He again told me it was the hotel's policy to NOT pay claims on car damages. My Range Rover was new, and had no damage when a young valet parked it. A different young valet brought it out of the garage in morning. Whatever happened to honesty? This place should have gotten rid of this valet service and they should have reimbursed me for my repairs.

Room Tip: My advice: Request a room away from the construction, have them sign your parking receipt stating th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank marylut213
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for providing your constructive feedback in your posting. We have 100% valet parking for our guests and we have spent a lot of money and time to ensure that the services are up to standards and our guests benefit from its service. We were very disappointed to learn that we could not live up to your expectations; this surely indicates that you did not receive the typical Le Merigot experience we aim to deliver
Please rest assured that through each comment we receive, both positive and negative, we are able to seek knowledge and growth to better serve our guests.
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Management needs some tweaking: Regrettably, my camera was left in an empty hotel restaurant, when upon returning to the restaurant an hour later, mysteriously, none of the staff had seen it. Hotel management had me submit a very detailed lost property report, corresponding through email, but eventually dropped the ball ignoring my last inquiry. Management could be more conciliatory…and definitely do not leave your stuff unattended in this hotel.

Room Tip: Water view of course!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Monroe, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We moved to this hotel after spending a few days at the Marriott property in Newport Beach off Fashion Circle. We were so much happier in Santa Monica. The location was perfect for us to do some heavy sightseeing. The staff was wonderful and greeted us by our name throughout our 5 day stay. The room was very nice, clean and updated and housekeeping kept it very clean. Valet parking only which was not our first choice, but we never had to wait long to get our car. We are platinum members so we were given continental breakfast vouchers which was a great bonus. The selection was great and we had a delicious breakfast every morning. The servers were a bit pushy trying to have us buy/get the hot buffet, but there was no need as their cold assortment of ham, cheese, pastries, etc was delicious and more than enough.
We never used the pool as we either went to the beach or sightseeing, but looked nice and clean. We did use the gym a few times and that too was nice and clean, though they could use some fans or airflow. It was very warm in there.
The staff was spectacular! Especially Robert and Amanda, the concierges. They were so helpful and really planned all our daily activities for us. I really didn't have to lift a finger! Robert even told us when to go to Universal Studios to avoid traffic and then told us what rides to go on throughout the day. He literally planned our whole day and we didn't wait in line once! Amanda suggested Warner Bros and I will be forever grateful to her as I got to see the set of 2 of my favorite shows and I sat on the infamous "Central Perk" couch from the show friends. It was fantastic! I really cannot say thanks enough to them both! It was a memorable trip for us thanks to the whole staff, but especially the concierges!

• Stayed July 2013
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We just stayed here on a 3 day college excursion/layover on the way back east. The common areas and patio were beautiful. Service was very good -- probably could have used more staff to service guests promptly for food/beverages -- valet and front desk were wonderful. Pool was smaller than expected.

Hotel was very clean -- rooms were as well, but average in terms of Marriott standards - particularly for a JW -- room could have been a Courtyard (save the minibar and toiletries)

Room Tip: Ocean side -- plus construction currently.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Geneva
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed here several times through the years, never disappointed. I would however strongly recommend paying a bit extra and getting one of the better rooms / facing courtyard or sea. During the summer season they have a breakfast buffet (my preference) which goes away for some odd reason the rest of the year. You can easily walk to the Beach, the Santa Monica Pier, the Third Street Promenade, tons of shops and restaurants, the location is just unbeatable. If you are looking for budget accommodations however you should not stay here. I have read a review related to this place missing an "ambience" and I couldn't disagree more, there is an air of relaxation and peacefulness throughout the property, and the staff is by all means exceptional, except perhaps for some of the breakfast / restaurant employees that can be a bit abrupt.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business