WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Michigan
“Wonderful stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

We just returned from weekend here and I must say it doesn't get much better. The service and staff were over the top. Everyone had a smile on their face from Jessica at check in to the valet parking attendants. The ocean is right out the back and you can walk to great restaurants and shopping. The touristy Santa Monica pier is a 5 minute walk. The rooms need some new decorating but staff says they are slowing renovating hotel. Won't think twice about returning here when in Los angeles area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

After many hours researching hotels on or near the beach in Santa Monica, we chose the JW and were very satisfied. After reading some of the reviews I wasn't 100% sure this would be a wise decision but rest assured this hotel is wonderful. We stayed at Shutters on the Beach last time we in LA and wanted something in that area but not as pricey. The service at the JW was excellent, the room had a view of the pool and ocean, the bed was extremely comfortable and the location...perfect! Great fitness center with spa, steam room and suana, and plenty of treadmills and other equipment. The pool was heated (thank goodness because is was a little chilly while we were there) but unfortunately, no hot tub, which would have been appreciated with the cool, rainy weather we had.

Walking distance to the pier and promanade...plenty of restaurants and shopping. We also rented bikes a block from the hotel for $18/day and rode the great beach path to Venice Beach and up towards Malibu (the one day we had the sun). There is also a Segway tour you can take but because of the rain we didn't take a chance on that! The concierge at the JW was very helpful in stearing us in the right direction with restaurants/sites/activities...she was really great. Robert at the front desk was friendly and helpful as well (he also has a cousin that lives 5 minutes from us in Ohio!)...small world!

Highly recommend this hotel...don't believe the negative reviews...it was wonderful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

The hotel was a wonderful experience! The rooms were spacious, the hotel was very clean and the entire staff was very helpful and pleasant. The location was excellent and within walking distance of the beach, Santa Monica Pier and the 3rd Street Promenade. The restaurant and bar were excellent as well.

Room Tip: The corner rooms were very large and spacious.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 1625Sheri
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We did not spend the night but used the day spa with a travelzoo coupon. I was so impressed from the minute I drove up and the valet was all smiles and so nice. The hotel lobby was nice and we walked down to the spa with help from another employee who was also smiling and nice(I think he was a chef!) The spa was cozy and we hung out at the small pool until it was time for our service. I got a massage from Borbala which has to be the best one I have ever had-I just wish it was longer! I got a facial from Jeanne who was awesome. After our great services we had lunch at the bar restaurant where we sat outside. The service again was excellent and so was the food. I was so impressed about the staff-they were all so happy and nice. It was so great to be treated like a valuable customer which happens so rarely anymore.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

My friend was going to Santa Monica for business reasons, and invited me to join her! She booked the JW Marriott Le Merigot. I arrived early in the morning, and tried to check in early, however the rooms were still not ready (understandable). Front desk couldn't locate reservation information either. Finally after 5 minutes, they found it. We reserved 2 double beds, but apparantly their system stated we were to receive a King. So I requested 2 double beds, and they were able to accomodate. They took my # down, and when the room was ready, they would let me know. Around Noon, they contacted me and stated the room was ready!

Room - the rooms are nice, definitely no complaints. However, as I have read in previous TripAdvisor reviews, it agree that this is not "JW" standards. Not what I would've expected for "JW". The decor is more in line with a regular Marriott. Therefore, for the pricing, I don't think it is worth it. I still think it is a lovely room, but to tack on "JW" and increase rates, that is something to consider for a future reservation... the double beds were comfortable, and nice. I noticed that on the surface, from a far, it looks very clean and together, but when you look closer at the finer details, it seems that the hotel needs a little bit of updating. For example, the business chair in our room, parts of the armrest was a little ripped... and then it looks that some parts of the room needed updating. Those were more minor issues, and not a big deal for me, but again, for those thinking "JW", I wouldn't have planned to see any of that.

Location - Amazing location! A few blocks walk to The Promenade. Easy acces to the beach and Pier. Loved it!

Internet - there is a surcharge in the room, but I believe in the lobby it is free

Staff - with the exception of the first lady checking me in, everyone else was VERY nice. Really enjoyed their friendly service, and always so accommodating!

OVERALL - really enjoyed the trip. The stay was nice, the rooms were clean and accomodating. Staff was friendly. Great location, I would recommend this as a "Marriott", not "JW".

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the Ocean!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jenniye5
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Absolutely loved my stay! Great service, friendly staff and spectacular views! What is not to love about being steps away from the beach and downtown Santa Monica! With shopping at the 3rd Street Promenade, restaurants just outside my door, and a breathtaking view ... who could want anything else! Such a lovely and cozy hotel just a step away from downtown Santa Monica and easily accessible to everything especially the beach! Le Merigot is always lovely to stay at!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Was just in recently for only one night on a business trip and was blown away by the high standard of service and commitment of the entire staff. My hat's off to all of you there. This is going to become my regular hotel for LA from now on. Well done.

• Stayed January 2013