“Just OK for JW Marriott”

JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot
Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Naperville, Illinois
“Just OK for JW Marriott”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Our family of four stayed two nights at this property last week. Nothing special for JW Marriott. The rooms were a very nice size....with very large baths. We requested a roll away bed during our reservation and at check in and finally received one on the second day. Breakfast with the special Marriott coupons we received for our Marriott Gold level was still $60 for the standard breakfast buffet at the hotel restaurant. The cafe next door was less and much better!

The location was excellent to go to the pier and walk the beach. The pool was heated and in use.

The management at this hotel needs to take lessons from the Anaheim Marriott on how to make Marriott members feel loved!! That was a totally different experience at a "lower" level hotel.

1 Thank Jeano36422
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for providing your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. I am disappointed that you stay did not meet your expectations.We take great pride in our services and it is our highest mission to go above and beyond and make your stay unforgetable.
Your comments will help us to improve and provide the level of service our guests have come to expect from a JW Marriott.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
los angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I am a Marriott owner (Newport Beach) and use Marriott hotels whenever I can. So, I know this Marriott is not the fanciest, modernest, awesomest....

But I suspect it was likely transformed from another hotel (did not have time to look up the history), and renovation is probably difficult due to strict codes. The rooms are not the most spacious, but they are cozy and clean. The restaurant provides decent food (although one time I had the saltiest soup on this planet). The lobby is tiny but they provided hot coffee and apple cider. The staff were very friendly.

Then, there's the view, and the location, right next to the pier and promenade. We could see Catalina island and Palos Verdes from our room.

Kids went to the pool which was super warm on this day 2 days before New Year. The fitness center is again tiny but well-stocked, and the lady was again friendly and professional.

So, not extravagant, but I think it lives up to the Marriott standard.

2 Thank turtlemeng
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

To begin, I am a seasoned veteran of hotels in the LA area. As my work requires me to travel to LA frequently, I have stayed in nearly every hotel within a twenty mile radius of LAX, and some have been so terrible, I felt it was my duty to leave a scathing review. However, the Le Merigot is, quite simply, the 'creme de la creme' of hotels in this area.

I recently stayed at the Le Merigot in Santa Monica, and was immediately impressed from the moment I stepped foot in the spacious lobby. The floor plan was clean and open, and smiles were plastered across the faces of all the staff members. The valet graciously took my luggage, and even remembered my name when I returned for my car later in the evening. The front desk was quick and helpful, emphasizing the fact that if I needed anything at all, not to hesitate to contact them during my stay. The beds were soft and comfortable, the room was a nice size, and the room was spotless.

After I unpacked, I went down to the lobby to have a drink. A nice, young, dark-haired woman greeted me in the lobby and asked if I needed anything or had any questions - a gesture that goes above and beyond the call of duty, in my opinion. I wandered outside, to find a clear swimming pool with guests spread out on lawn chairs and seated at nice patio tables. Everyone seemed very happy. I ordered a drink and the fruit parfait - to die for! It was so delicious, I would return for that alone.

In sum, the Le Merigot is a beautiful hotel with friendly and very helpful staff. As I mentioned, I've stayed at several hotels in the area, and this exceeds all of them, by far.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

We came to the hotel 2 days earlier than expected due to a sickness in our family that prohibited the original trip schedule. Booking through the Marriott hotline was painless and we then had a 4 day stay at the hotel.
The staff at the hotel is great. Genuinely friendly and caring. They really made a difference from other hotels I experienced in the past.
In other reviews, people completed about the rooms...I cannot follow that complaint. The room was clean and neat, not tear and wear.

Location is great. 5 minute walk to Pier 36 and some more minutes to the main shopping street. Very close (4 minute walk) is great Italian food...ask the concierge for Tony's. Great taste,good portions and reasonable price.

All in all, this hotel is a real recommendation for an enjoyable stay in Santa Monica.

Dusseldorf, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

We had chosen this hotel because of the brand name “JW Marriott” and their location, but we had unexpected experiences:
1.Most of the hotel staff unfriendly and the Concierge did not know much about where to go in Santa Monica, which is a big surprise.
2. We had booked this hotel thru www.booking.com, the room price incl. tax and free of charge of wired internet in the room. When we asked for the WIFI code, they told us there will be an extra charge. We showed the booking confirmation letter, which had written it is included in the fare, but they still insisted that we have to pay extra. We called the booking.com office, after 15 minutes they returned our call and cleared the problem. We did not have to pay any extra charges, and booking.com apologized for the inconvenience. But, we did not receive any apology from the hotel!
3.We need to return our rent-car, and it supposed to be picked-up which included in the price we had dealt in Los Angeles. But, the Concierge said we have to pay an extra USD35 for the pick-up service, which was charged to our hotel bill.
When we got back to LA, the rent-car had confirmed that they did not charge us. Where does the money go?
4. The room was small, ugly and dirty. Please see attached pictures to reconfirm.
This hotel does not deserve any stars - I would give them 5 skulls. NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rency Z
Paul H, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
I sincerely apologize for your experience, as we strive for excellence in everything we do.
Your comments are of great concern to us and I want you to know that we are addressing the issues you have brought to our attention. You can reach me at caroline.appel@lemerigothotel.com and I would be delighted to speak to you further regarding your stay.

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We hope to someday welcome you back to our hotel so we can show you a true Le Merigot experience.

Best wishes for a happy and prosperous New Year!

Caroline Appel
Director of Sales & Marketing
Gurnee, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

How this property earns the JW distinction is a mystery. While nice, the lobby is nothing special, and the bar is tiny. No real seating area for business discussions. Weather kept us indoors, so that might have helped had we been able to sit outside. Because we arrived early, I was pleased to get any room, but was not impressed with our "cozy" handicapped room with two full size beds. Biggest complaint: No plugs at the desk. Even Courtyards have multiple outlets. Had to plug one phone in bathroom, and unplug a lamp for another. No excuse for that in a hotel of this supposed caliber. Area surrounding hotel is lovely for strolling, restaurants, and shopping, and pier five minutes away. We will not be staying again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

We are Marriott Rewards members and select Marriott properties often to make use of our rewards. We splurged our points on the JW in Santa Monica.
At first glance it seems very upscale and nicely decorated. The view of the shore was very nice, patio well furnished and they have a luxurious lobby.
The staff at the front desk were all very friendly. Being VERY CLOSE to a Gold level membership most Marriotts offer us upgrades at check in (free perks for next level). This was not the case here, we had to ask and then they obliged.
Disappointment set in when we sat in the patio area and ordered cocktails from the small lobby bar. They were the worst drinks we have ever had for ! How can they mess up on an Old Fashioned and a Margarita? We did not bother to finish them and left after paying over $35 for 2 drinks and tip.
The hotel decor was very standard and what one might expect from Marriott. Our room had a very comfortable bed, but the interior design was like any other hotel room - not upscale or unique. Best described as clean and sterile looking. Felt like a regular Marriott, not resort-ish.
The only nice added touch was a newspaper delivered in a pouch at our door each morning.
Noise was an issue - every time a guest closed their room door you heard it!
Upper floor and ocean view is the way to go here. Although we had a nice and roomy bathroom, the fan was not working and toiletries they provided very skimpy - no lotion, no shower cap. Just tiny soap, shampoo & conditioner.
Location of hotel was good but not the reason we stayed there. Many other hotels are next door and across the street as well.
Lots of employees standing around the hotel (all of whom were friendly) smiled and greeted us.
I would rather see them invest in a renovation upgrade and better food service instead of so many employees. A great experience for me is based on "the atmosphere, room, comfort, food & drink" rather than the staff alone.

Room Tip: Higher floors have nice views.