“Quiet, Clean, Awesome”

Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
New York
“Quiet, Clean, Awesome”
Reviewed December 19, 2009

Third stay here.. Wonderful hotel by the beach! I will be going back!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Inland Empire
Reviewed December 19, 2009

My husband I recently spent three evenings at the Hotel California in Santa Monica. I was not too excited about the reservation as some of the comments I had read on line were not very complimentary. However, we truly enjoyed our stay and found the accommodations modest but outrageously clean. The floors in our room were original hardwood and just gleamed! The bed was very comfortable and outfitted with down bedding. The internet service was excellent. The location was perfect for walking to the promenade for dinner, or going out on the pier for the sunset or getting to the beach for morning exercise The accommodations were affordable and the parking was included. If you want luxury this is not it, but if you want a step back in time and a very comfortable place to hide out, this is perfect.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CC-BC-SKY
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 17, 2009

Well its not the Hyatt or even Shutters but its good in its own way. My room was nice, cozy, and clean! Very comfortable beds. It was nice to have a ceiling fan in the room, I went right to sleep. I loved all the cable channels on my flatscreen tv. Also, I must say this is a very quiet hotel. It was great to be in LA and be able to walk places so I gotta say this location is amazing. Im glad that I stayed here verses the Loews because I didnt have to deal with an elevator and having to always walk through the lobby so it was also convenient. As far as the service...kinda a ma and pop operation. I could smell the young ladies lunch who checked me in. I feel bad that I interrupted her lunch but I was fast! So the only negative thing I could really say, is just the professionalism however maybe this was just a rare thing. The rest of the staff was really nice. You get bang for the buck here!! Santa Monica, the beach, comfortable clean room!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Livermore, CA
Reviewed December 8, 2009

My 16-year-old daughter and I were looking at So Cal colleges and she insisted we stay here one night, so that "we could say we had." I thought it looked fun, so I waited for it to show up at a reasonable price (I believe it was $132) and booked it.

I was a little leery after reading some of the reviews here, particularly since the replies by the owners/managers seemed rather defensive and hostile, but we're always up for places that are interesting and I figured we'd be just fine.

We drove right past it the first time, but caught ourselves quickly enough to make a quick U-turn and squeeze into a "non-place" in the tiny parking lot in order to check in. The woman at the front desk was very friendly and efficient. She gave us our souvenir key cards (with American Gothic-themed beach/farmer!) and told us where our room was and where we'd be able to park for free. It was a Sunday night, so we were able to park right in front on the street for free after 6 pm. (as long as we moved our car by 9 the next morning)

We were going to explore the area before that, so we ended up leaving our car in the Santa Monica Place parking lot (near the 3rd St. Promenade) which was free for the first 3 hours, and we were able to walk from there.

Our room faced the street, but that was fine--the noise didn't bother me at all. Of course, it was a Sunday night in November, so that might have been more quiet that usual. We were on the second floor in an airy, charming two-double bed room. I loved the whimsical touches and amenities. The ceiling fan had a lovely hand-painted design bordering it and the beds had the requisite surfboard headboards. There was a weird little "dressing room/kitchen" area between the bedroom and tiny bathroom that had a closet, cupboards, a fridge and a microwave. I would recommend they spend some money renovating and pushing the bathroom out into this space to make room for a larger shower. The shower was about as tiny as they come. My daughter completely freaked out when she saw it. I'm not kidding, you could barely turn around in there! And it was dark. The window in the weird dressing room wouldn't shut completely, but since we were on the second floor, I wasn't too bugged by that; if I'd been on the ground floor that would've been unacceptable.

Breakfast in the morning was apples, tea, coffee and pastries and muffins. There seemed to be plenty for everyone. My daughter was disappointed there was no hot chocolate.

The courtyard to the side of the hotel was cute, and had a great path to the beach. The neighborhood was fine, and I never felt unsafe.

All in all, I thought this hotel delivered exactly what it advertises: a charming, funky beach experience at a reasonable price. I would recommend it to those who would understand the charm of the place.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Terri M
Lancashire
Reviewed December 3, 2009

Oh dear! Why didn't I check the reviews on Tripadvisor before booking. I had flown from UK via Chicago and arrived about 6.30pm to find that to park in their "lot" would cost another $20 - the room cost was $204 inc tax. I was shown to my room and at first was pleasantly pleased to see the surfboard headboard to the bed, a poster of LA Confidential on the wall and a filter coffee maker but there it ended. The bathroom was like something out of a 60's "digs" (boarding house) in UK. It was very small, hadn't been decorated for a long while, was not very clean and is easily the worst hotel bathroom I have ever set eyes on. I do not think a woman would have been able to open the shower taps ("faucets"). They hurt MY hands to do so they were so stiff and badly designed. I was so shocked I took no photos. Anyhow I had paid and was too weary to switch hotels anyway so I had to make the best of it. I checked out the "minibar fridge" and it was empty. I went back round to the "foyer" - a small office - and asked if I could get a beer to take back to the room. "We dont sell any drinks here. You could go to the bar across the street". If you want to say you stayed at "The Hotel California" - don't say I didn't warnya!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Joe_Walsh, Public Relations Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this review, December 4, 2009
We are a 3 star property. We do not provide a liquor service or in room mini bars. However, surrounding us there are multiple establishments where you can enjoy a drink or 2. We provide a refrigerator in all of our rooms for any beverages that you would like to bring in. We also welcome any pre requests if there is anything that you would like in your room upon arrival. As far as our bathrooms we use top of the line linens. All of our bathrooms are inspected everyday for cleanliness and all components are checked for working order. We encourage any feedback during your stay so we can send an engineer to your room if there is something not to your expectations. Keep in mind, while asking for your beer, it would have been a good time to bring up your issue with the bathroom. We are glad that you enjoyed your surfboard headboard, in room art, and your coffee maker. Our rooms are designed to meet your comfort needs with style.
Tuscon
Reviewed November 6, 2009

Took a last minute trip to LA and realize that the hotel we booked was far from the beach so we canceled and took a chance. We walked in here checked the rates and the young guy showed us a room. We said sold. It was really cool. It reminded of The Hard Rock Hotel but before it became commercialized. The beds were comfortable!! Staff was great. Room was great. Bathroom could use a little work and maybe a new tv in the room but no complaints really! New management says stay tuned, so we will be back!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Montclair, NJ
Reviewed November 6, 2009

This hotel is a gem. I'm almost afraid to talk about it because they might raise their rates or it might be impossible to get a room. Right on the beach in Santa Monica and next door to the Loew's hotel (six times the price), the Hotel California is a collection of clean, trendy rooms - some singles, suites and even one-bedroom apartments with virtually full kitchens. They also have Los Angeles-themed movie posters on the walls, i.e. "LA Confidential", "Chinatown", etc. Staff is very helpful and friendly and there's coffee and muffins in the lobby each morning. The Santa Monica Pier is a five minute walk - and the Santa Monica Promenade ( I think that's what it's called) is also very close. There's even a good Italian restaurant with good pizza (not great, I'm from New Jersey) a few doors away.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business