“Just OK”

The Hotel California
Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed July 21, 2014

The staff here was so NICE!!! I would rather stay in a just OK hotel with amazingly nice staff than stay in a five star with rude employees. So as far as staff goes, this place is a five star. Katie could not have been more cheerful and welcoming. But our room wasn't ready until 4-4:30 and we were pretty beat from the day so that was kind of a bummer. Then our remote had no batteries so we took it to the front and they were nice and brought us a new one but our TV didn't work period. It turned on but the channels would not change, even when we tried doing it on the side of the TV. Then my daughter wanted to take a bath, no plug and when we asked they didn't have one. I mean it's an older hotel so we get it. Also, they give you a free wifi code but it didn't work for us. :( It didn't ruin our trip. It had character and charm. We were in room 38 and the noise at night from the street was pretty rough; again not the hotels fault, just want to give you a heads up when you book. The steps down to the beach are pretty steep and might not be great for someone with disabilities or really small children that have lots of stuff to haul down. But it's close to the pier if you want to spend your time there. Parking is $38 a night which I find insane especially because we have stayed at a lot of places along the coast and never paid that much. If you're lucky though there is a lot across the street that only charges $14 and they may have some empty spots. Hotel California only has roughly 6-8 spots and it's tight. But again, in their defense they don't try to hide the fact that there are other parking options and very good about telling you where they are. So I'm just kind of eh ya know (insert shoulder shrug) about the place. Oh but yes the beds and sheets were great! I felt I should throw that in since others were commenting on it.

Room Tip: Take a room that is not on the street side. To loud!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Hotel Californi... S, Front Office Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Greetings, Christy! I'm sorry to hear we didn't meet your standards...folks usually love our beachy hotel vibe! I'd love for you to give us a second try. Please feel free to call me directly at the hotel 310.393.2363 and I'll take good care of you! James Broome, Front Office Manager

There are newer reviews for The Hotel California

Reviewed July 19, 2014

We arrived as a family of four (two adults, two kids (17&14) ) from the UK. We had 8 fab nights in this iconic abode. It's a value for money hotel, it ain't a $500 night place to sleep as the hotel next door is, but you get a top drawer mattress and decent nights sleep, we had a suite No9 which was a great room for the four of us. Breakfast was great value. A lot of thanks too: James, Aaron and Katie who smiled and were very helpful with everything the whole time we were there. Cheers for the memories!

Room Tip: Great for families
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Hotel Californi... S, Front Office Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2014

Hi Gates Family!

We were so happy to have you all to ourselves for a whole week! It's so great to hear that you guys had such a great trip and stay at The Hotel California! As you mentioned, our beds are super popular - that;s because we have all new BeautyRest mattresses in each room. Katie, Aaron and I were so happy to see that we did a great job as hosts! After all, our job is to keep it cool here at The Hotel California!

I hope that everything is going smoothly now that you're back home, but don't get too comfortable! The beach and all of us are here ready for you to come back and do it again! Whenever you decide to take a leap across the big pond please give me a call directly at 9310) 393-2363. I'll be sure to offer you a nice return-guest discount and get you an awesome room! Hope to see or hear from you soon!

- James Broome
Front Office Manager

Reviewed July 18, 2014

We originally had booked a suite at a Hotel on the other side of the pier and has been their since the 30's. We have stayed their before. We were bumming around the net came across the Hotel California.

It looked kind of beach funky and we love the song it's named after even though its not the ore the same is named after. No big deal, the Eagles would approve. This hotel is so Californian beach hip that you can't help but love it. The moment we saw the place we knew we made the right decision. Upon entering the small lobby we were greeted by Erin and Butler. Our name was on the blackboard behind the check in counter welcoming us. Very nice touch! Erin was working the desk while Butler sat in the corner holding court and being very gracious. We had a short conversation that was very cool, just don't ask him any questions! He has even written a book that is for sale at the front desk. My wife read some excerpts and really loved it. We will probably order it when we get back home. Check in was a breeze and these are some very hip cats working here so they make it fun while still taking care of business we were given an upgrade while checking in.

Our room would be considered a suite for it had a living area, separate bedroom, long hallway adjoining both with a really nice bathroom. This one had a mini fridge, two cooktops, microwave, sink, and dishes, glasses, coffee mugs, cookware, silverware, and everything you need tobring it back to the room and cook. We had a nice couch, table and chairs, great artwork, and a bay window to let fresh air in. No act here, but with a ceiling fan in the living area and one in the end room you really don't miss it.

The bathroom was a very comfortable size with sink, toilet, and tub/shower combination. Let me tell you that The Hotel California has the best water pressure of any Hotel I have ever stayed and the hot water was always there from the moment you needed it. This is a big deal for travelers! A rain shower head made it even more enjoyable.

Our bedroom was adequate size. It had three closets, safe, large window with ledge for placing items on, ceiling fan, and the top of the line Beautyrest mattress and it was great sleeping. The mattress is advertised all over the place with these little plaques everywhere. It was a wonderful bed and really nice sleeping, but the plaques were kind of funny.

There are a number of buildings on both side of the courtyard that comprise the Hotel California. A long walkway goes between them to stairs leading down to a private gate to access the beach or Santa Monica Pier. Benches, chairs, and a few tables give plenty of room for morning coffee, a bottle of wine, a smoke, and even a nice place to bring dinner back to. We enjoyed the space a lot!

The only coffee in the room is decaf, the lobby has regular coffee 24/7 with apples and bananas all the time. Morning continental breakfast was pop tarts, muffins, bagels, and juice. Just enough to get you going, unless you go out for breakfast. T shirts, sunglasses and Butlers book are all for sale in the lobby.

They will hold your bags for you if your plane is after check out as ours was way past noon. We took the Big Blue Bus from LAX for $1.00 each. It let us off on 4th and Colorado I believe. A short walk to the hotel, about 4 blocks or so. No big deal. We took the new LAX shuttle from the Civic Auditorium for $8.00 each. This is up Olympic off Ocean Ave, and then left on Main St. And about a block or two up on the left. Really convenient.

The Hotel California is convenient to all the good restaurants, beach, 1 mile walk to Venice Beach, the 3rd a Street Promenade and so much more. Why spend at least twice as much and have less than half the fun you will staying at the Hotel California. It's our new place in Santa Monica! Cool people, great area, funky beach chic, top of the line Beautyrest mattresses, and a awesome staff make the Hotel California a hit.

And to top it off when we left California and got to Moorea French Polynesia, the French Couple who we rent one of their Villas from said before they fly home to France next month, they are spending a while in California and are staying at the Hotel California too. Small world, but the word is out. Cool travelers looking for a great stay at a great rate are heading to the hotel California and you should too! Just don't ask Butler any questions!

Room Tip: A two room suite is great!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mccrazyone
Hotel Californi... S, Front Office Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Thank you for such a wonderful and in-depth review! Congrats - you picked the hotel that didn't pick your pocket! Butler sends his best your way. On you return trip with us, please book direct with us at hotelca.com or 310.393.2363 for a fantastic return rate! James Broome, Front Office Manager

Reviewed July 18, 2014

My Husband and I stayed at The Hotel California for a couple of days in June. We are from Sydney, Australia and after traveling for 13hours we were very tired and got to the Hotel well before check in time. We met Katie at the front desk and she made sure that our room was ready within about 10minutes. We were extremely grateful to her for that. Katie looked after us so well and made us feel so welcome. Nothing was too much trouble to the staff. I recommend this Hotel to anyone, it has such character and is so close to the Santa Monica pier. We will definately stay their again.
Cathie Leggett.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Cathie - I'm so happy to hear you had a pleasant stay with us and that Katie made the check-in process as smooth and fast as possible. When planning your return with us, please book direct at hotelca.com or 310.393.2363 and I'll be sure to get you a fantastic return rate! James Broome, Front Office Manager

Reviewed July 17, 2014

Spur of a moment trip to Santa Monica and I found this hotel on trip advisor. Got into Santa Monica around 5 but had trouble getting to the hotel because of traffic and construction so I called the hotel to get directions and the gentlemen at the front desk was not helpful in the scents that he did not care. Finally we got to the hotel and checked in which was OK, again not helpful when I asked any recommendations for dinner his response was "I don't live in the area but just walk up the street and you'll find alot" showed me where to park my car and that was the last time I saw him. Got up the next morning and decided that we would like to stay an extra night if possible, dreading the same front desk experience I was greeted by two rays of sunshine in the names of Katie and James. They were understanding and helpful in getting an extra day for us, they are top notch employees and people. Getting off my soapbox now and on to my review :
Pros :
The atmosphere was great with garden walkways and sitting areas.
Our room was small but not in a bad way with a queen size bed, a plush chair.
The bathroom had a tub and shower combo and a small sink.
Plenty of shelves for storage and a safe and fridge.
32 inch TV and a clock radio.
Ceiling fan for cooling because there is no AC(more on that later)
Katie and James +100,the maids and service staff.
5 min walk to Santa Monica Pier
Cons:
No ac, but during the evening it is fine. Why are you in your room during the day with the beach a few yards away.
Parking, there is a few spots but are taken early. Parked at the Lowe's hotel down the street for $40
Spotty wifi, there is City WiFi at the beach for those who can't get away.
This is not upscale but a vintage hotel to relax and recharge and I plan to recharge again at the Hotel California. Thanks again to Katie and James for making this part of our trip memorable. And be sure to get a hug from Katie, it will make your day start out right.

Room Tip: We had room #28 which is on the outside area which can be noisy but had easy access to the beach. As...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Hey there Crawford family! We are so happy that you two came to stay with us for a couple of nights. I know that the stay started out a little rocky, but that just gave Katie and I the opportunity to get to know you guys even better! I had a little chat with that gentleman and I don't see any instances like that happening again.

Guests like you are what make our jobs worth while. You two couldn't have been any nicer, and we were so thankful that you chose our little hotel by the beach. Next time you guys are in the Santa Monica area you better come say hi! Or better yet, spend the week with us! I'll be sure to take care of a nice return-guest discount for you, of course. Try to keep the "California Cool" out there in Arizona and we hope to hear from you soon!

All the Best,

James Broome
Front Office Manager

Reviewed July 15, 2014

The most friendly and helpful staff I have had the pleasure to meet. Katie couldn't do enough for us. The Hotel had that much character it was almost alive.The most comfortable bed and great location Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel Californi... S, Front Office Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Hi Paul! You hit it on the head - best beds at the best location! It was great to host you. Please visit us online at hotelca.com or 310.393.2363 for a great return rate! James Broome, Front Office Manager

Reviewed July 13, 2014

We were looking for an affordable place near the beach but realized that it's almost impossible to find one! We came across this place and it was amazing, much less stuffy than all of the big pricey hotels. James at the front desk was so nice and helpful! We will definitely go back!

• Stayed: July 2014
Hotel Californi... S, Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Sue - I'm PUMPED you enjoyed your STAY-cation at The Hotel California. We love locals! For a great return rate, please book direct with us at hotelca.com or 310-393-2363 - James Broome, Front Office Manager