“Doc v "You can check out but you won't want to leave...."”
Review of Sea Blue Hotel

Sea Blue Hotel
Ranked #21 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I go to LA on business every three or four years. Each time I arrive a few days early so I can stay at Hotel California and enjoy the beach and pier. I love the place. Everyone was great but this past Katie was the absolute BOMB! She made sure my stay was the greatest. Like Anne said, the rooms and bathroom are small but the bed is extremely comfortable. Besides....I don't come to Santa Monica to stay in the room during the day. I highly recommend the Hotel California. I love it and I think you'll love it too!

Room Tip: Upstairs are better as is the lower level with no room above.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,148)

Reviewed March 11, 2014

For the location of this hotel they could charge a LOT more. The people at the front desk told me that they are usually about 30% cheaper than the other hotels on the same street! We got a really good price by calling directly and talking to James at the front desk. He even gave us a slight upgrade ;) Great service, breakfast, and location. The Santa Monica beach area is awesome too. Everyone should try this hotel out!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed one night at the Hotel California after running the L.A. Marathon. Two blocks from the finish line. Had a room on ground floor at front but the Monday morning traffic did not bother us at all and we had the windows open for ocean breezes. The room and bathroom were small but the bed was VERY comfortable and towels and linens top quality. The continental breakfast was just that but coffee and muffins were good and there was yogurt and fresh fruit. A really comfortable stay at a hotel by the beach with excellent prices compared to other hotels in the immediate area!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2014

This experience was awesome ...i loved everything about this hotel from the service to amenities ...i just loved it. I want to give a special thanks to James who treated my family and I with professionalism and care.

I recommend this hotel to all my friends and family!!!!!.....Go team Hotel California!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Rosangela S
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Firstly this hotel is about a 3 star so don’t expect 5 star accommodation. However, the location is perfect ie 5mins walk to Pier and about 10mins to 3rd St Promenade with a great Mexican restaurant almost next door (try their white wine sangrias – nice). Could not use the free WiFi in our room but it worked fine near office – used it sitting on the bench outside office. The quality of their ‘breakfast’ has dramatically improved and the muffins/bagels a really tasty.
This was our 3rd stay and I found the front office staff (Katie & James) extremely friendly and helpful. Although we requested a back room we were allocated an upstairs front room – why put in preferences? Plus they had us down for an extra night, this was adjusted when I showed them my confirmation. Also changing our room was no problem – room 38 was available and although we previously had a bad experience with this room, upon inspection, many improvements had been made and all issues previously mentioned in my review had been addressed, so we happily took the room.
This room has a bed/lounge area which is large and comfortable plus a separate ‘bedroom’ which is so small that the double bed just fits in – clearance around bed about 6”. The ‘new’ fridge was very quiet which was a blessing BUT I cannot say this for the staff laundry next door which during the day is fine. However on our first night about 2am all hell broke loose – with all washing machines and driers coming to life!!!! As this room has a common wall with the laundry, the noise seemed to have been amplified. I had just flown in from Australia and did not have the energy to get up and find out what was happening – just stuck a pillow over my head which seemed to drown out some of the noise. This noise went on for 2hrs!!! Complained next day to be told that laundry was NOT to be used after 10pm and they would check (via security cameras) and get back to me. Although they didn’t get back, there was no repeat performance for the rest of our stay.
Now for the Bill – My credit card had been debited with one night’s accommodation which was fine. However when I got the bill it showed the full amount of my stay with no credit. I queried this, mentioning that the amount previously paid was not shown. This was dismissed and I was advised all would be OK – DON’T believe them. When full amount debited to my credit card, I rang immediately and was advised someone would get back to me. No one did, so I rang back. After another phone call and a couple of days later the matter was fixed BUT their error cost me nearly $10 due to fees imposed by foreign credit card providers.
Overall I like this hotel. Location is great, prices are reasonable, staff helpful but they now need to look at all those little annoying mistakes that are happening. As I will probably be staying there again, I feel I need a checklist and go through it when I check in!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oevans
Reviewed March 4, 2014

If you're looking for a at-home, clean and affordable accommodation in the absolutely best location in Santa Monica this is it. HIGHLY recommended. The other reviewers on here I think had higher expectations for amenities but didn't want to pay the price. This was clean and super friendly and yes it was a smaller shower with no bathtub but, again, it was clean and beachy and comfortable! I'm from SoCal and this was perfect. And the beds were super comfy!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank ShellyHabeck
Hotel Californi... S, Front Office Manager at Sea Blue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Thanks so much for your great review Shelly! We are so happy to hear that a fellow California resident had such a great time in her own hometown! The Hotel California has a prime location just minutes from the ocean, and we are glad that you understand the great value that we offer for our prime location. Our rates are generally almost always 20 to 30 percent (or more) lower than other local Santa Monica beach hotels. Our goal is to provide a tremendous value to our customers, while having a great personal relationship with each and every guest. We hope to see you again soon Shelly, and give us a call directly when you are planning on coming back!

Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

Hotel was great!!! James at the front desk was awesome, he gave us many cool places to go visit while I was in LA. The hotel room was very nice and clean. The service was awesome and we just overall had a great experience here! I am definitely coming back soon!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends