“Hmmm...a bit out-dated”

Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Ft lauderdale
“Hmmm...a bit out-dated”
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Not worth the money...step back in time and you can imagine the decor, the broken green tiles in the shower, the old stained wood furniture, no AC, limited parking, musty smelling rooms, street noise, un-engaged front desk attendant. You can do better with your $250 a night, trust me. The beach is not close, behind a bunch of old buildings.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Larry C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Angaston, Australia
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Terrible. Location was great, and that's where it ended.
Looked at the rooms online before booking, arrived(about 7 pm at night), and went to our room and could not believe how small the room was. It was a dog box. It also smelt of urine (room above office upstairs). I was so disappointed that I my heart sank to my stomach as soon as we opened the front door. My husband went downstairs and advised we would not be staying, as at $300 a night, it was nowhere near worth the money. The man at front reception was rude and argumentative, and in the end, he advised he would not charge us if we have him $20. Best $20 we have ever spent.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank CaliLover74
Michael P, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Please Note that this guest "claimed" they stayed 1 year ago and just now have written a review on their stay. As you can see recent reviews do not reflect the picture this review paints of the Hotel California. I can assure any future guests with full confidence that this is not how operations are run at our establishment and we are investigating this review to be taken down immediately for its false information.

Front Desk/ Supervisor of Guest Services
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed here one night. After retrieving our lost luggage at airport we called around 1:00 to see if we could check in early which the hotel allowed us to check in only an hour early so we beached it until we that time. We received a warm welcome at check in. The front desk suggested a nice restaurant for us to try out. We stayed in a room with 2 queen beds (2 adults and teenager) that faced the main road. I wished the rooms were a bit bigger. The bathroom did have some newer upgrades which was nice. The only thing that I found uncomfortable was there was no air conditioning so the room was stuffy early evening however cooled down as night set in and ended up comfortable for sleeping. Great location a block from pier action and beautiful beach.

• Stayed August 2013
Oak Park, California
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at the Hotel California for my birthday where my girlfriend and I were treated with such respect and care that we actually decided to stay another night. It was right next to the Santa Monica pier and seconds from the beach. The rooms were refreshing and clean, and it was really nice to have your own kitchen as well with pots, pans, and utensils. The guy at the front desk, Mike i believe his name was, helped us find great restaurants and bars to go to for the nights. Overall it was a great experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael P, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Bryan,

Thank you so much for the fantastic review. We loved having you guys stay with us for your birthday and it's so good to hear you had an awesome time! Please come back and stay again next time you are down by the beach.

Cheers,

Front Desk/Supervisor of Guest Services
Whitestone, New York
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We just cam back from a 2 week trip through California, and the stay at this charming and delightful hotel was the highlight. The location is crazy great, the staff is super friendly and helpful, and the rooms are full of character. When I first found out the hotel had no A/C ( after I already booked it), a shudder of fear crept over me. I hate the heat and I could just picture what my wife and two teenagers would say. When I read the responses from the hotel that mentioned that the ocean breeze was enough, my initial though was , "yeah, right". Well, they were right. In the middle of August , we needed covers every night. Yes, there is some noise from the lively street scene in front of the hotel. So, what? We liked to hear that we were in a cool place. Maybe our NYC home makes us less delicate than most. At the end of the day, we loved our junior suite. Clean and comfy, with excellent maid service. This place is right on the beach and a block from the Santa Monica pier. It's funny, I actually felt bad for the guests I saw go into the giant Loews hotel next door, while I enjoyed the casual warmth and charm of our hotel. I'd recommend this place to anyone. If you want every luxury imaginable, look elsewhere. If you want to feel like you are in a nice SoCa hotel, right next to the beach, with a kind staff and a place that has heart, try here. I can't imagine anyone that booked this place through the website could ever complain. They must do it just to be contrary.

Room Tip: If you are going with family, try for the junior suites
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank psutich
Waxahachie, Texas
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Do yourself a HUGE favor and DO NOT stay at this terrible hotel. There is no air conditioning and the heater in the room could not be turned off. When I went to the front desk he said there was nothing they could do. Worst hotel I've ever stayed.

Room Tip: Go to ANY other hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Scott D
Michael P, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

The heater that malfunctioned that night has since been replaced and is in full working condition. I understand your frustration and unfortunately that night we were sold out and were unable to move you to a new room. In this type of situation the front desk would have been more than happy to refund your stay and assist you in finding another hotel room elsewhere. We are very forthright with the fact we are a 2-3* star hotel and have never had air conditioning. There will always be the one or two guests that give a 1* rating for a bad experience but it is a very uncommon occurrence that does not reflect (As anyone can see by the other reviews) on the hotel as a whole. We would love for you to come back and allow us to change your opinion the next to you are in Santa Monica!

Best,

Front Desk/Supervisor of Guest Services
Paris, France
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Some friends of mine advised us to go to this hotel because of the location. It is definitely very well located but that's it. It is very expensive, not very clean, very noisy, and very expensive for what you get. We did not get the room we asked for. The car park was full,....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank pelfr
Michael P, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

It's good to know that friends are recommending people to our hotel however I would like to address the few concerns you had about our hotel for future guests. You are totally right about the location. Guests are walking distance to nearly everything you would want to see and do in the Santa Monica area, from the amazing beach/pier to the famous 3rd street promenade right up the street. As far as being expensive goes we are actually THE MOST AFFORDABLE hotel on the beach side of Ocean Avenue. The closet hotel you can find that matches our rate is 20 blocks inland. So for the same rate, when you stay with us, you are literally living at the closest hotel to the Santa Monica Pier on the most popular beach in Los Angeles. The other options that are available around us are the $500-$700 per night, 4-5* chain hotels that are amazing but "expensive". We like being that other option for the people who want a relaxed, open air, california feel for half the price or less.
PARKING:
Since we are one of the oldest hotels on the beach we only have 11 parking spots to accommodate 36 room so it does fill up. In this situation we have guests park at the Loews Hotel parking lot which is directly next door. They honor our overnight parking rate and valet your car to their underground parking facility. Your are allowed to move in and out all day/night and your car is safe and looked after. Their lot is about a 1 minute walk down the street so you always have access to your vehicle when you need it. Also the meters on Ocean Avenue stop at 6pm and do not start charging until 9am the next day if you would like to try and find free street parking during the evening. Our lot is free during the day.

Best,