This is going to be a tough one to rate. It is really all about your expectations. I’ll try to give you the pros and cons so you can make sure this is what you are looking for. The better half had stayed here before and when we arrived I was underwhelmed but frankly it has really grown on me.
The hotel is a series of two story tile roofed bungalows, nestled between similar private homes. The rooms are decorated with Hollywood and surf culture memorabilia, and hand painted “frescos” adorn the ceilings. Nice woods floors and simple varnished wood paneled wainscoting. The rooms are connected with large shared balconies and patios. We had the doors and windows open most of the time we were in the room to let the gentle breezes and sublime temperature waft through. Quite a change from two feet of snow in New Hampshire! A simple continental breakfast is available in the lobby. We took it back to our room. The beach is literally a hundred yards away, and the Santa Monica pier, a couple blocks.
As you no doubt already know, the price is less that the adjoining high rise hotels. But don’t come here on price, thinking you are going to get a contemporary hotel. If you want a modern hotel with long hallways and identical rooms, carpet everywhere, workout room, dining room on site, etc., this is not the place for you. This is quaint, a bit kitschy, eclectic, but in our mind charming and just right for a beachside getaway. So with that in mind, I rated it above average.
Our suite had one large leather easy chair. When we mentioned this, they brought an additional leather love seat while we were away during the day. Room was very clean. Bed very comfortable. Had a large flat screen if you need a TV fix.
One might consider these as potential downsides:
No AC. Ceiling fans only. If it is really hot, that might be a bother.
Each room is probably unique. The first room they checked us into had a kitchenette but no balcony. They moved us to another room with a large shared balcony and a partial view, but no kitchenette.
No elevators. If you have heavy bags, you may want to request a first floor room.
If you sleep with the window open, you will have some white noise from the road.
There is some construction noise from the huge construction project across the street.
The LA Segway dealer is right next door. You can rent a Segway to go cruise Santa Monica!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Classic, Oceanfront Santa Monica Hotel (formerly Hotel California) Unwind at this laid-back, oceanfront hideaway along the Pacific. Bask in the sun and carefree lifestyle of Southern California and stay a while at the Sea Blue Hotel. With a prime beachfront address, our tranquil, seaside refuge welcomes you to the heart of Santa Monica. Relax in our private courtyard with beach access, so you can dip your toes in the sand any time. Stay within walking distance of the Santa Monica Pier and the iconic Pacific Park Ferris wheel, and close to the local shops and galleries that line the Third Street Promenade. Just minutes from LAX, Venice Beach, and Malibu, our modern, surf-inspired accommodations with free Wi-Fi will leave you rested and relaxed, so you can head out to catch some waves and explore the best parts of coastal Southern California. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz and Hotwire so you can book your Sea Blue Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- California Hotel Santa Monica
- Hotel California Santa Monica
- California Santa Monica