“Quaint -” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
UK
“Quaint -”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Get the double room not the two single beds in separate rooms as the second room is freezing. Hotel is literally onto the beach so location wise it is great but the breakfast was not as we expected it was a cereal and pumped hot water in a flask in the reception area. At least we got parking which was good but expensive. The hotel staff were excellent and very helpful and all in all it was a nice place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
The Hotel C, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Guest,
If you are ever here and find yourself cold, please let my front desk staff know immediately so that we can bring you a portable electric heater right away. I apologize for our breakfast not meeting your expectations; there are usually more options that the one you mentioned, I will remind my staff to keep the multiple options stocked all the way through the breakfast hours.
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. If I can be of any assistance for your future stays, please contact me. You're satisfaction is important to us.

Alex
(Guest Services Manager)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
vancouver, bc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

The rooms are clean and tidy but lacking in basic amenities such as a writing table. Had to walk to another hotel to get bottled water. The internet was impossible to use without your own "hot spot" connection. Never did figure out how to turn heater on.
It is overpriced considering it is nothing above an average Motel. I come to Santa Monica every 3 months and will not stay here again..

Room Tip: Don't choose a room facing the street
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank allan44p
The Hotel C, Front Office Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for your review. Although we are not a full service hotel, we aim to provide the best value for the great prices we offer compared to other hotels in this prime Santa Monica location. If you visit us a gain, we do have alcove suites available, which all have a table and chairs. We are sorry to hear you had trouble with the wi-fi and heater. We would have been happy to help and send someone up to adjust your heater and/or bring you a space heater. We hope you had a great visit to Santa Monica.
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

This place is more of a motel than a hotel. When I checked in they increased the rate $25 a night, the free wifi was gone and they increased the price of parking to $36 a night. The room was dirty, cold and the heater didn't work.

I stayed for 20 mins before checking out and staying at Shore a few blocks away. The staff were unhelpful and billed me for two full nights. I disputed the amount through american express and got a full refund.

I have been staying in this hotel at least twice a year for the last five years. I've watched it go rapidly down hill. Santa Monica is such an awesome place, stay somewhere nice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank john21204
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for travelers to Santa Monica. We are happy to hear you were a returning guest and hope you received the return guest discount on your room. We are sorry you had to go through American Express to dispute your charges and hope they didn't charge you a service fee. We would have been happy to help you with that, and also with the heater issue. Thanks again for your review.
Santa Clarita, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

The rooms were clean and comfortable and you had everything you need - flat screen TV with remote and sleep timer, coffee maker in the room and they provided coffee, tea, juice, breakfast rolls, yogurt in the morning. The paid parking is tight but available and it's a block to the beach, two blocks to Santa Monica pier and about three blocks to all the shopping, restaurants and night spots in the promenade area. We'd stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank pathoranberg
Thank you for posting you review for The Hotel California. We are very happy to hear you had a pleasant stay and overall visit to Santa Monica. We would love to have you back. You could mention you are a return guest and qualify for a return guest discount or upgrade when we confirm your previous stay. Call the front desk directly. Cheers.
Chandler, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

This review would have been very different if we did not have such a terrible experience at "breakfast" the morning of our departure. The rooms are fine but the heater is very noisy. Myself, husband and 18 month old toddler went down for the continental breakfast one hour before it was due to be finished and there was nothing left. The breakfast is a table in the reception, the tea and coffee pots were empty. One if the girls said they would get more pastries if we wished to wait it would be 20 mins which was fine. The other staff member was on the phone and seemed quite irritated by our presence. A we had our coffee waiting on the pastries, my toddler was yapping away and the woman on reception asked us to be quiet and stormed out of the reception on the phone. Eventually the breakfast arrived, my toddler was talking and playing as they do, there were no other guests in reception, the rude staff member, a lady with short curly brown hair, asked us to parent our child and then copied what my child was doing that was annoying her! She obviously has no relevant people skills or has dealt with children before. We got the mangers name and this "lady's" name and advised we will have to make a complaint as she was so rude! She kept her head down and did not apologise once for having us wait or being so rude. This is my first time posting on trip advisor but I would not want any other parent having to be treated like this. Stay Away!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Rob818
Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to post a review. We will take the information you provided us with to train our staff so this doesn't happen again. We hope your overall experience in Santa Monica was a great one.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

This hotel is a very good deal price-wise for where it is located, very close to the beach at Santa Monica. Rooms are clean and nicely decorated, but the place really lacks on the 'small stuff'. For instance it was pretty cool in the mornings and evenings when we were there, yet my kids room did not have a working heater (or phone). I had to get room keys reprogrammed about half a dozen times when they would not work any more. The room safe had to be opened by a hotel employee to be used. The 'continental breakfast' in the lobby is quite sparse. And at one point the wi-fi could not be accessed and the only solution I was given was to use the computer in the lobby. There is no pool or restaurant but we did know that going in and I am sure that is part of the reason it is such a good price, so that was okay.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms get alot of street noise (and construction at the time we were there)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mrt77
Thank you for your review!. We are glad to hear you had a good overall stay at The Hotel California. We are sorry the hotel experience technical difficulties at one point during your stay, but happy you were able to use the computers in the lobby in the meantime. We hope to have you back! Cheers.
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Like mentioned by many people before...it is located close to the beaches on Ocean Ave and from the outside it looks like a surf style upgraded motel. I had booked a room on booking.com for two nights after staying at the Mariott next door. At the end my plans changed and I went personally the hotel to cancel but got informed that the hour had passed which is perfectly fine. We agreed I would stay the following day before heading to the airport to use the already paid night and just cancel the first as second night. All good so far. Back home I got charged for the first night as well and even after 10 calls (Maribel never seems to work) and many mail I have not received a reply nor refund from the hotel. I stayed in one of the rooms facing Ocean Ave...Strange design with a very dusty, old heater and a TV over the door you can hardly see from the bed. It was freezing cold and noisy. The shower was so small any person over 5ft might get in but definetly not out again...the room prices are high even for SM. I suggest to pay 40$ for the Mariott or Holiday Inn or find something inside the city at a lower rate. In general my reviews are rather positive but this one is really special.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank nkruger
The Hotel C, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am the new Manager of the property and your review is serving to help me know what needs to be fixed, and what we can work on. I apologize for your bad experience at our hotel. Moving into the future, please feel free to call the hotel and ask for me if you need anything during your stay, or anything after you've departed. Also, if there is anything I can do to fix anything from your recent stay, please dont hesitate to contact me so I can take care of it. Your satifsfaction is important to us.

Alex