“Very Charming and Great Location”

The Hotel California
Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
California
“Very Charming and Great Location”
Reviewed December 19, 2007

WHAT A CHARMING PROPERTY AND WHAT A GREAT LOCATION! We walked to the Santa Monica Pier, about 1 1/2 blocks from the hotel, Macy's is only about 3 blocks away.
Great little restaurants all within walking distance. The rooms are clean and comfortable with solid color sheets and white duvets. Some rooms are family friendly in a suite like set up. Most rooms have flat screen tv's, refrigerators, and coffee makers. The Hotel was built in the 20's so don't expect perfection but the price and location make up for lack of modern decorum.

• Liked — Location, comfortable bed, free internet, and flat screen TV
  • Disliked — Small bathroom
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
6 Thank MoriahsTravel
Joe_Walsh_at_HC, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this review, December 27, 2007
Thank you very much. I think you point out the two best characteristics of the hotel - Location and charm. We are in a great location and the age of the hotel really gives it that laid back California beach feel. The Hotel California is an Original Santa Monica Beach experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 18, 2007

Recently returned from my third visit to this 'boutique' hotel or rather motel. Rooms are decorated in LA/Surf fashion, sparse and clean. No frills. Staff friendly and receptive. What you're paying for is location, location, location. No need to rent a car - save the $15 nightly parking fee. Stroll next door to Loews or Shutters for a gourmet coffee and walk the beach, or rent a cruiser bike on the beachfront to Venice. Shopping and great dining experiences are just blocks away. ** Because most units have beautiful hardwood floors which transmit the smallest sound - choose an upstairs unit.

• Stayed December 2007
2 Thank Gauchowest
Joe_Walsh_at_HC, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this review, December 21, 2007
Thank you for your patronage. I am glad you appreciate us for what we are. I think you provided some great information for our future guests. If you would like to tell me how we can get that 5th dot, I would like to hear it. You can email me at hotel_california@easydoesit.com

Thanks,
Joe Walsh
Guest Relations Manager
beelover66
Reviewed November 30, 2007

The location was fabulous, and the service was very attentive. The room was very comfortable. Would definitely come back here again.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
4 Thank beelover66
New York
Reviewed October 23, 2007

My grandson was attending Pepperdine Camp and I stayed at the Hotel California with him after camp was over. We had a wonderful time. The beds were so comfortable, the room was so charming. It was a taste of old California. We were right on the beach, next to the pier, biked to Venice each day, walked to the promonade, drove to Malibu, all with no effort due to the great location. The staff was very helpful. The rooms very clean. We look forward to staying there again. Much more friendly and welcoming than a large hotel. P.S. Self parking more convenient than a valet. We just loved it and told all our friends about our great find.

• Liked — The charm and location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank swiftlady
Joe_Walsh_at_HC, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this review, October 24, 2007
Thank you very much. I think they hit it right on the head. The Hotel California is in an excellent location and offers Santa Monica Beach as should be experienced - it is an original. Parking is a challenge and the advice is appreciated for those that follow.

If you are looking for a chain hotel experience, keep looking. If you want original California in a great location, that is us.
Colorado
Reviewed September 18, 2007

You can check out, but you can never leave because they keep charging your credit card! Besides the fact that this hotel completely misrepresents itself, they charged my credit card for a future reservation I cancelled three weeks in advance as I checked out from my first experience,AND I am having to go through a credit card dispute process to retrieve my money! The manager and staff are rude and inept. I stayed there three noisy, hot nights ( no air conditioning) and had to ask for clean towels and additional toilet paper. The windows would not open from the inside, but easily opened from the outside! Not a very secure feeling! Each night when my key wouldn't open my door, I had to go to the front desk to get my key re-magnetized! I was told I could park for $15 a day, but no one told me there would not be any parking spaces! I was instructed to go next door to Loews to park, but they turned me away so I paid $25 dollars a night to park at the Holiday Inn 2 blocks away. Unbelievable! I would not recommend The Hotel California at all. It is a rinky dink operation and way more money than it's worth.

Stayed August 2007
4 Thank WizardsCorner
Joe_Walsh_at_HC, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel California, responded to this review, October 15, 2007
The Hotel California is a special place. If you want big, fancy and high priced, we are not it. If you want a REAL California experience, The Hotel California is it – Hence the name. However, we are ORIGINAL California as well. That means, small, cozy, great location and natural – no air conditioning when you’re located on the BEACH! Unfortunately, in such a prime location, parking is a premium. Sometimes we have enough parking, sometimes we don’t. Parking spaces on site are available on a first come-first serve basis. If all of the spaces are full on-site, we have alternate parking available at other nearby hotels. We try to communicate that, but sometimes it seems we do not. Our parking is far below the going rate, but it has some give and take associated with it. All in all, it’s a pretty good deal.

I have discussed the credit card charges, keys and other comments with the hotel staff, and we making some changes to correct those issues. I feel confident that our future guests will not experience the same problems.

Again, I am sorry these folks had a bad experience, but I think we have made some changes and are better because of it.
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed September 12, 2007

We live in San Francisco, and to escape the cold and fog in the summers usually take our two little kids and sometimes our two big grownup kids to Santa Monica for a warm beach getaway without having to fly to, say, Hawaii to get it. We have spent the last three such mini-vacations at the Hotel California. Now, don't get me wrong. When I have the cash I'd WAY rather experience the luxury and opulance (and the pool!) of the Loews next door. I'm all for a bit of pampering. But for an entire week? The Loews would kill my credit card. And actually, you know, the Hotel California is far superior in a lot of ways. It's far more comfortable for us to cook in our own kitchen and have an extra bedroom to pack away small children who go to bed early or need space for a nap. The Hotel California is perfect for a family. Don't bother with those tiny little rooms. Go for the full suite. It's the only way to stay there comfortably. The Hotel California is just downright cool. It's close to the beach and the Pier. It is homey. We stay in Room 37, which is on the ground level, and my kids play out front on the walkway. We feel very at home there. I've stayed in their other rooms, and it was a mistake. As the other reviewers note, they are cramped and on the noisy side. But the suites are really apartments. The decor is fun, the location is wonderful, and it's a really great place to sit around and relax while spending time at one of the more beautiful beaches around.

• Liked — Availability of apartments so we could save a bit of the budget and cook ourselves.
  • Disliked — No pool, but with the beach right there it was a minor problem.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank alippa
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed September 4, 2007

Stayed one night Labor Day 2007. It did not occur to us that a hotel in LA would not have air conditioning, so we did not think to verify when reserving. The room was small and very stuffy even with windows open and ceiling fan. Decor was cute and location was good. Bed was comfortable. Parking was a hassle. The lot only held about 10 cars( one of which was about 3 feet from our room) at a $14 charge, they said Loews next door was $28, but we did find a space on the street about a block down around $10.00 and were able to park at the hotel briefly to load luggage. Also room did not have hairdryer and no answer at the front desk until after 7:00 am.

• Liked — cute decor, well located
  • Disliked — no air conditioning
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple