“Great Stay”

Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Redding, California
“Great Stay”
Reviewed March 8, 2011

First time to Santa Monica and celebrating our 15th anniversary. Purchased a package from Luxury Link which included daily breakfast, one 3 course dinner, 2 drinks on arrival, champagne in room with strawberries/chocalate along with valet. Upon arrival, little tricky to find entrance, was a really incredible tree as well as excellent valet service. Check-in was a breeze and the even had bellman grab our bags and carry them up a 5-6 steps so we wouldn't have to (nice touch and great service). Room was on 7th floor with nice view of beach. Street noise is evident but can't get away from it if you want the nice view (which they upgraded us to for our anniversary). Nice mood music playing when entering the room as well as iced champagne and strawberries. The Fig restaurant has great service and the best meatloaf i have ever tasted and I'm not a big fan of meatloaf but it came highly recommended by staff. Breakfast is good but is a little expensive. Great location and is 1 short block away from 3rd street shopping but you have to walk a bit to get to the beach but not bad. They also have bikes (free) to use to ride the beach trail..go to Venice Beach. The pool is small and older but space is limited in Santa Monica so its pretty standard from what we saw, but beautifully kept grounds and nice gym. The entire staff was friendly and helpful and did the best to make our stay memorable and they did! Will stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dkk12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 8, 2011

We stayed there at the end of January and it was very nice. The location is easily accessible to the Santa Monica Pier, restaurants and other shops. Though I have to admit I wish our room was a little more modern or updated, it felt like they needed to renovate or update the scheme of the room.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed March 1, 2011

elegant hotel in a beautiful setting. close walking distance to the beach, places to eat and shopping. Service was everthing that you expect from fairmont. At check in we mentioned that we were on our way to fiji for our wedding, they sent up a wonderful surprise of a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries.

Two small complaints. 1. there is a charge for internet (when you pay a lot for a high end hotel, wireless should be free) 2. just a warning that the daliy parking rate is $$$.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Derby, England
Reviewed March 1, 2011

When we arrived we found we'd been upgraded to a bungalow because we were on our honeymoon. The bungalow had a nice comfy bed, patio and a lovely bathroom with a huge bath. Shortly after we were taken to the bungalow a bottle of champagne arrived with strawberries and chocolate to dip them in.

Breakfast in the hotel is nice and the waitress was always friendly. Things can be pricey such as wine from the bar in the evening but that's kind of expected in a place like this. The outside seating area is very nice with the koi carp and the water trickling away in the background. I tried the room service one evening and was quite impressed with the little table and table cloth they laid out for me along with the food and condiments and extra bread if I wanted it.

The hotel is situated close to lots of shops and a short walk from the pier. The beach is not too far away but you do have to cross a footbridge over Ocean Avenue to get to it. It isn't that out of the way though. It is a nice walk along the beach from Santa Monica to Venice Beach if you have some time on your hands and good walking legs.

Santa Monica is a nice classy area with plenty of places to wander. Try to catch the sunset if possible, it's beautiful.

I loved the Fairmont so much i didn't want to leave and would love to go back. I'd definitely recommend it to people.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank hubbard_l
New York
Reviewed February 11, 2011

Let me preface this by saying that I have stayed here once before and I was not impressed in the slightest. My company put me up here so I did not have any say in the matter this time around either, but I figured I would take some notes due to previous dissatisfaction. I was travelling solo this time for some business I had in Santa Monica and on first arrival everyone seemed to be alot more helpful than last time, but that is where their consistency fails.
I arrive at hotel around 11am and I am greeted by exceptional door/valet staff. They kindly unload all my bags and Renato (sp?) walks me in and introduces me to the kind front desk staff who check me in promptly. My room just so happened to be ready so I took a nap for a couple hours honestly thinking that I may have misjudged the hotel before.
Waking up later in the afternoon I decided to head out to grab a bite to eat, i called down for my car and the girl I spoke to (maya) had an extreme attitude problem. There was some interference on the phone and I had to repeat myself three times and even then she couldnt understand and then copped up an attitude saying "well whatever just get down here" I was mortified, service this bad at a Fairmont? Once I got down stairs I seen that she must of been on a personal call and I was interrupting her when I called before, One of the valets pulled my car around promptly though so I barely had to wait.

Room service this time around was great through and through. I did not have to wait long for food at all and everyone seemed to be very kind most of the time. Prices are rather expensive though. Some of the most basic things easily cost 2 to 3 times as much as you would of expected.

Front Desk service was hit or miss, when I first got arrived everything was great, but mid way through my stay I had a question about a charge on my room that I couldnt figure out what it was from and I talked to a manager (aaron?) and he helped me sort it all out and told me what it was for, but he talked to me in a very condescending tone acting as if I was too ignorant to have been able to figure it out without his help. No patience.
Check out was a breeze though, the workers didnt seem as lively as when I checked in, but the process was smooth.

Fig: This place is the most consistent part of the hotel. Service was top notch and the food is simply divine. From the moment you enter the restaurant you feel special and welcome and even travelling solo I still did not want to leave even after I took my time to finish my food. I highly recommend

Rooms: They are pretty small, but they have a quaintness to them so its not a big deal to me, I had a nice ocean view that overlooked the pier and was beautiful. My company paid for the room so the cost didnt matter to me, but I don't think I would be willing to pay full price for one though... there just does not seem to be enough value for the money.

The area around the hotel is good, lots of shopping and things to do, right in the heart of Santa Monica.

In conclusion, I did have a much better stay than last time, but I still was not fully wow'd by the place. For being the number one rated hotel in Santa Monica and a Fairmont I would of expected more.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank JacobS1976
Los Angeles
Reviewed February 7, 2011

$300/night stay during a conference. Upon check in (3 pm) they upgraded us to a suite, which meant that we also had a small living room attached. The bed was very comfortable and the bath was clean. Robe use came w/ the room. At 4 p.m. an employee showed up with apples/cherries. Turn down included water bottles left at each of our nightstands. Our collectibles were left in the room during the conference (not in the safe) and everything was fine when we returned. Honest workers and great attitudes.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 7, 2011

There isn't anything I could complain about at this hotel except for how expensive it is. We got the third night free, so it was amazing. We didn't stay at the bungalows, they seemed nice as well.

Great location, short walking distance to 3rd street. It seems close to the beach, but it isn't that close, you have to cross the street, walk a bit, and go down the stairs. You can't swim in the ocean here, it's too wavy.

30$ per day for parking..

Food and drinks are also extremely overpriced...

Harris Miller shampoo, conditioner etc.. My favorite.

Great views of the ocean, the balcony walls are pretty high so you can't see the ocean unless you are standing close to the balcony.

Very family friendly. a lot more families with kids the couples.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple