“Not Good...”

Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed August 11, 2007

Just got back from the Fairmont where I spent one night for a wedding I was attending. I have to say I was very disappointed.

This place is not cheap, so I expected my stay to be excellent. Well it wasn't. First of all the hotel is definitely dated. The room while clean, feels old & musty. I went downstairs to have a few drinks with a friend (5 in total). It was expensive ($75) & I checked my account today & they charged me over $150!

Worst of all they completely scratched up my fiance's car. While they were willing to compansate us, they wanted us to fill out forms & jump through all these hoops. The valet got a manager & after about 15 minutes we told him we were in a hurry and had to leave. The valet started to yell at us saying that if we left they were not responsible for the damage! Needless to say I have never been treated like that EVER at a hotel & it will be a cold day in hell before I step foot in this hotel again!

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank kingdave19

Reviewed August 6, 2007

We stayed here two nights...we were here also one year ago.

This is a fun, attractive hotel - beautifully decorated, "across" from Santa Monica Beach... across from - but you have to cross a busy road, walk through a bit of a park, walk across a large highway walkway and walk for quite some time across sand to get to the water. Having been here last yr - I knew all that - so no surprise - but was a surprise the first year.

By the outdoor restaurant there is a "pond" that was full of large turtles - fun for the kids to see.

The hotel is within very short walking of the 3rd street promenade shopping area - which hosts a lot of nice shops, restaurants and some cool dinosaurs that spout water.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful...I did have one occasion to speak to the maid and I felt like she did not understand me at all except for the part where I said she could clean the room at 2:30.

We had a room with a balcony - lousy view - but that was ok, just wanted an extra place for the kids to hang out and they are under 8 so they thought it was fun.

At this stay I noticed that there were no Hotel provided bathrobes in the room as in the previous year. I thought they discontinued them - so I asked when I checked out (b/c I spotted some in the hallway) and turns out that they were just forgotten from our room.

The ice machine on our floor was broken for both days so we had to go up one floor when we needed ice.

Just after we had our car valet parked - we had to return to the car to retrieve something. Was unhappy to find that they had forgotten to lock the car up.

The room is not all that big and the bathroom doors are "louver" type doors that give about 10% privacy (no fun when sharing the room with hub and 2 children)...

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank munkamama
Reviewed August 5, 2007

Stayed in a suite room 609-- Palisades Grand Suite in the older section. It was a one bedroom suite --I have attached room shots and views in the photo's. There were 4 of us in this room.

Beds: Bedroom bed--Verrrry comfortable
Pull out bed--horrible , uneven, unsleepable
Roll-away---great

Bathroom: Average--not condusive to 4 people in a room

View-So-So --Palm tree in the way--no balcony

Cleanliness/upkeep--This could really use some improving--on the surface things look o.k. but I included a shot of the vent in the bathroom (yuck!!!) and the light in the shower (bugs)--Also, the people in the room before left stuff there and obviously the cleaning personal didn't clean this part because it was there when we checked in.

Misc. Wet bar in room, large living room area, nice workout room, awesome tree in entrance-way

Food--we used room service and breakfast--food was surprisingly bad. I was shocked at how mediocre the quality was and how process and frozen everthing tasted. Would not recommend eating there.

Front desk--inefficient and slow

Pool--o.k. , but saltwater?? Why?

Property --nice but very small

Area--Our 1st time in Santa Monica--I included a beach shot. There are no hotels on the beach. The beach is across the street but down a long steep hill. There are ALOT of homeless people and street kids hanging around here. I don't know how safe I felt--it was a bit intimidating ( I live in Chicago so I'm not easily intimidated) I know this is a trendy area but I'm not sure why.

Pier--Worth it to take a walk---not worth it to do anything--There is a Bubba Gump shrimp restaurant, a few carnival rides, a cheesy mininature golf, a few vendors, and a few stores, video games

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank sjrbt
Reviewed July 23, 2007

We stayed at the Fairmont from July 18-22 and it was wonderful! The hotel is set back so it is very quiet you feel like you are at a resort not in the middle of Santa Monica!We had a suite in the older part of the hotel which was very big and nicely furnished. It was only a few dollars more than a room in the Ocean Towers, but I felt it was worth it. The room, hallways and elevators were spotless (and I am fussy) I knew this was going to be a great hotel the second I stepped in the lobby- it is amazing. Everyone was VERY friendly and helpful. We ate a late dinner and breakfast at the restaurant- the food was very delicious, but it was expensive. The Kobe burger for $22.00 was one if the best burgers I ever had!! If I am ever back in Santa Monica I will be staying at the Fairmont it was a great experience!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank northjerseytraveler
Reviewed July 14, 2007

When I am in LA I have stayed in Santa Monica/Venice area ever since a cab driver in early 1990's told me to stay here instead of Beverly Hills. Of all the Hotels I have stayed at (see list below in order of rating) the Fairmont is #1. My biggest complaint is I wish I found it sooner. Service, Rooms, Ambience is excellent. You will love the environment once you have entered the premises, as it is nice a quite. The premier place to stay in the Santa Monica area.

THE FAIRMONT (SANTA MONICA) $369/standard room
$249/standard noisy room

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
7  Thank CANADIAN2006
Reviewed July 9, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights at the end of June, it is located approximately 5 minutes walk from the end of the 3rd street promenade and is a great location to take the steps down to the beach. The rooms are large and very well kept, we had a balcony with 2 chairs overlooking the pool with an ocean view.

The pool is a reasonable size with very comfortable loungers but watch the prices round the pool, the pool menu shows bottled water for $4 but when we got the bill the charge was actually $8, per bottle... and the bottle was small !

That said, this was a great hotel I would definitely stay here again if I was fortunate enough to return to Santa Monica

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
5  Thank Travelwithmum
Reviewed June 26, 2007

We can't figure out why people didn't enjoy this hotel. It was absolutely lovely and we felt like royalty the whole time we were there. Never once did we have to wait for anyone or anything. The atmosphere was beautiful and the hospitality is what a 4-star should be. Everyone from the bellhops to the concierge to the room service attendants to the bartenders to the managers were so attentive and everyone went completely out of their way to make us feel so comfortable.

The grounds were amazing - from the koi ponds to the water fountains to the huge sparkling pool to the 200 year old tree in the entrance. There lobby was spotless and beautiful - fresh flowers everywhere, very elegant. The food in the restaurant was good to very good and the breakfast buffet on the weekends outside was delicious and sitting in the middle of water fountains with huge koi and jazz music and turtles and beautiful gardens all around you made it even more enjoyable.

We were hesitant to reserve a tower room, but our neighbors had and recommended it, so we did. When we arrived, the room had jazz music turned on and the sliding door to the ocean was open and you could smell the fresh salt air. The room was perfect with a king bed and great lighting, etc. Everything worked, every little amenity was available and room service was picked up not even ten minutes after we were done. Pictures on their website are very true to form. It's breathtaking, it really is.

It is a very romantic hotel and we had an amazing weekend there. It wasn’t cheap, but most 4-stars aren’t. You get what you pay for and we definitely will stay there many more times when we are in LA. Santa Monica is very clean and close to Malibu and the freeways to all the attractions. Plus it’s right on the Pacific Highway and the ocean is right out your window with great views of the pier and up towards Malibu.

Give this hotel a second thought… It’s worth the money if you are wiling to spend it and you won’t be displeased. We definitely will be going back as soon as we can get another weekend away.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple