Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows
Ocean View Hotel(Santa Monica)
$349
  • Beachfront
Gateway Hotel Santa Monica(Santa Monica)(Great Value!)
$199
$496
$451
Hotels.com
$312
$249
LeMeridien.com
  • Pool
Travelodge Santa Monica(Santa Monica)(Great Value!)
$199
Casa del Mar(Santa Monica)
$664
$595
$339
$295
Shore Hotel(Santa Monica)
$369
  • Beachfront
Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel(Santa Monica)
$578
$475
The Ambrose(Santa Monica)
$289
$266
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
2,545 results
All reviewsfig restaurantfig treeocean towerbungalow barlobby loungestreet promenadeconcierge deskbeautiful propertythe santa monica pierturn down servicebeverly hillslos angelesvalet parkingocean frontfew blocksexhalepalisades
Reviewed July 24, 2010

Excellent service upon check-in. Real pros and sincere! We're Premier members so we received an upgrade to a king room with a view of the ocean. Keep in mind this is Santa Monica so an upgrade to a room with a view is a huge deal. It's really not much more space than a standard. I've stayed in those and it's a tight squeeze, but still a nice room. My favorite part was the terrace which we had dinner on one evening with a view of Malibu. (Whole Foods is walking distance. Pick up a nice bottle of wine and gormet treats for a value dinning experienceon your terrace) You'll need to order an ice bucket from the hotel kitchen which is free except you'll need to tip the service person $2-$5. For God's sake don't touch anything in the mini bar. I recommend covering it with the hotel binder.

Back to the hotel. The grand entry is magnificient. Whomever does their fresh flower displays is brilliant. Magical! Lobby has a bar/lounge/waiting area. We sat and read and couldn't help noticing some serious wear and tear to the lobby furnishings and carpets. Room carpets were fine except for a few stains.

Internet was free since we are in their President's Club. Anyone can join for free. Turn down service was first class. Maybe even better than the Ritz. She left water bottles and the room was freshened up, but in a tight, crisp way. Impressive maid service start to finish. Beds were somewhat hard, but pillows luxurious. Drapes provide nearly total black-out. Room decor classic.

Con: 1. Bathroom door is only loose slats that point down. Ewwwee! There is very little privacy between the bathroom and bedroom. 2. Not much room on the bathroom counter. (Adding a few glass shelves would solve this). 3. Way too much clutter on the dresser. 1/3 is taken up with a box of items for sale. Damn! There is a mini bar and gift shop if I need a candy bar and who the hell needs a candle? It's just a bit much. I need the space for my things and don't want to be sold constantly. 4. Restaurant prices for breakfast are just nuts. No one should charge $19.00 for eggs and bacon. That's just arrogant. With that said, they have a 1/2 off for dinner special for Figs between 5 pm and 6 pm.
5. Last complaint, no coffee maker in the room. I bought a $13.00 Mini Mr. Coffee maker. Believe me if you like to read the paper and drink coffee in the room before your meetings, it's worth the hassle. It's petty of Fairmont to not provide something as basic as a coffee maker. Get rid of the box on the dresser and add a coffee maker...you do it in Boston!

If you arrive at LAX and take a cab, demand they take you through the marina, not the freeway. He'll argue but it will save you roughly ten dollars. Guaranteed.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank RecessionaryMary
Reviewed July 16, 2010

We stayed 3 nights on our recent west coast road trip.

Pros - The hotel is beautiful inside and out. I loved the big fig tree out front, it really sets the mood for your stay. And at night the courtyard is wonderful with a little seating area with a fire pit. The entry is big and has a good vibe due to the lounge area. The pool area is very nice, although we didn't take advantage of it. The staff were very helpful at the concierge desk and provided lots of maps! The valet and bellman were good. I appreciated that after each time I tipped them they would say "you're very generous" no matter what amount I tipped them. I'm not sure if it's a hotel thing, or if it was through our credit card but we took advantage of a "stay 2 nights get the 3rd free". That's very handy when a room costs $300+ a night.

Cons - I only gave 3 points for the value and rooms because of our room. We got the basic king bed room on the 3rd floor of the tower. It was very small. My wife had the ironing board out and there was no room to get by and open the doors into the bathroom. It was the basic room, but for $300+ a night I expected more. Another issue was with the room ventilation duct (air conditioner). The ventilation was ducted into the room, but there was a squeal noise that came from the fan and almost sounded like a fire alarm. The air filter was very dirty as well. I don't like to complain so we simply just turned off the fan. Luckily it was cool so we had no worries. We would have appreciated a coffee maker in the room as well. It seems like a lot of places are getting away from this, but it's stupid. And although all nice places like this charge for extras, I don't appreciate having to pay a $150 bill at the end of the stay for parking and WiFi. WiFi is something that should definitely be free.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay. Apart from the couple minor issues we enjoyed ourselves and were happy with our choice.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Critter3
Reviewed July 14, 2010

The Fairmont in Santa Monica was beautiful. My family and I stayed for 3 nights at the beginning of July. Now the hotel staff was extremely friendly and made you feel like a celebrity. There is only valet parking at this hotel...which is funny as the parking lot is not even 20 steps from the front door of the hotel. Anyways, I have a family of 5 so we stayed in a room with one king + a pull out sofa + a rollaway (that I requested) the room was very comfortable for all of us. When we arrived we were greeted with a plate of chocolates, fruit and cookies in our room. Also, we were celebrating a 16th birthday while we were there so while I was booking the room I mentioned that we were celebrating it. I was told to call down when we had time to receive a gift from the hotel for the birthday. When they delivered it to my room I was in total shock. The hotel presented us with a mini cake and a bowl of fruit. So if you are there celebrating...it is well worth letting the hotel know. TIP: make sure you decided how you would like to tip for various tasks before arriving or else you will feel overwhelmed and may make a mistake in how much you tip for things such as when they get your car for you when you would like to leave for instance or when they bring your bags to the room. Now the area of Santa Monica was beautiful. Make sure you visit the pier and the 3rd Street Promenade! Just keep in mind for some reason there are many homeless people in the area.. so stick with no eye contact or acknowledgement of them and you will be just fine. Oh and while in the area there is a restaurant called P.F Chang's with a delicious oriental cuisine that would satisfy everyone, young and old. Perfect for family meals...money wise and fulfilling...it will for sure become one of your favourites! Happy and Safe Travels =) from Table4Five

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank table4five
Reviewed July 13, 2010

We looked into several hotels before choosing the Fairmont Miramar, and we are so happy that we chose this excellent hotel! It was fantastic, and we can't wait to return. Our room was beautiful, immaculately clean, and had a wonderful view of the ocean as well as the pool. Every staff member was friendly, welcoming, and courteous. Whenever we needed anything brought to our room, it was done immediately. We arrived a few hours early (before regular check-in time) on the day of check-in, and our room was already ready for us. We were also allowed to check out an hour late on our last day since we had an afternoon flight. Each time we needed to use our vehicle, the valets brought it immediately and cheerfully. The hotel is in a perfect location -- across the street from the park that overlooks the ocean, one block from the Third Street Promenade, and about two blocks from the Santa Monica Pier. It is very easy to walk to the beach using the nearby pedestrian crossover. The hotel staff members also went out of their way quite a bit to locate and provide for us a very special imported beverage that we had inquired about before we came (a beverage that is not available in Texas), which was a wonderful surprise. That was such a nice extra touch for them to provide an item they don't usually stock. The hotel also has a very nice outdoor seating area around a beautiful pond where drinks and food are served. The hotel was worth the price, especially since we had taken advantage of a Fairmont special summer offer in which every third night was free. Internet service worked perfectly and was free for those who joined the President's Club, which was also free. We will definitely stay at the Fairmont Miramar every time we return to Santa Monica, which we hope is soon!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2010

This was my second time staying at this Fairmont. I had one small glitch with the front desk agent not calling me to advise me the room is ready, they used some excuse about my phone number not working so I unnecessarily waited around for a while. Public area is fantastic so the wait wasn't as unpleasant as imagined. I stayed in the villa near the pool which had a great room layout. There was a mosquito in my room that kept me up at night which left me with 5 itchy bites the next morning! Obviously that's nothing the hotel can do, who knew there's mozzies in LA.

Breakfast in the lobby lounge as well as the restaurant was fantastic. I highly recommend the croque but it's a calorie bomb so for those on a diet I wouldn't suggest that dish. Service was attentive and polished.

The location is amazing, I ran in the morning by the ocean and in the evening it was a short walk to the 3rd Ave Promenade. I should have extended my stay so I can enjoy the area and hotel for personal reasons.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business