“Great hotel”

Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My husband, 18-year-old daughter and I stayed at the Fairmont Miramar for 4 nights. Our 8th floor room was beautiful... had just been redone. Staff was terrific. It's a lovely property. The concierge was helpful with dinner recommendations. The valet and bell staff were attentive friendly. The Bungalow, the hotel's outdoor bar can be quite loud at night, so we weren't able to open our sliding door at night due to noise. If you like to get fresh air at night, request a room that is not on the Bungalow Bar side. Otherwise, a great hotel at a great location.

Room Tip: If you like to have your windows open for fresh air at night, request a room that is not on the sam...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,449)

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Always enjoy my stay at this Santa Monica landmark. Staff at Valet are always very courteous and attentive. Front Desk managers always come around from behind the desk to personally show you to the elevator or direct you to your room. Room this time was ocean front view, with nicely appointed room upgrades. Washrooms are still tight in the tower rooms, but well appointed. Overall, I always enjoy my stay at the Fairmont Miramar.

Room Tip: Fairmont Gold Membership will pay off here.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2014

The hotel is apparently undergoing renovation, which it needs! My girlfriend and I both got ocean views but the rooms were shabby. The carpet and wallpaper were old and out dated. There was no ramp from the front desk to the elevators so we had to carry our suitcases up the stairs. There was a constant hammering and when I asked the front desk about it, they said it should stop by 8:30...PM!! Then they put a family with little kids in the adjoining room next to me. Why didn't they put my friend there? Luckily, I wasn't in the room much .the hotel is in a good location for sightseeing and walking to restaurants. I wouldn't stay there again. It's too expensive for what you get or don't get!!!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We recently stayed at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows rather then Oceana Santa Monica. My decision was motivated by an automatic upgrade offered to me by my credit card. It turn out to be a mistake.

The hotel itself is very nice but very crowded, our original upgraded room was the size of large closet (at least overlooking the beach) and the checked in process was easy.

Before our first night, I realized I had made a mistake and tried to check out. It was simply not what I had imagined (all my fault...). The front staff inquired and took us to the older section (no views) of the hotel were the rooms a literally twice the size of our original room. Good I though...

The problem is those rooms give on 2nd Street and the Huntley hotel, which apparently as patrons coming, going and screaming until early the next morning. Both nights we were there. So sleep quality was severely impacted.

Furthermore, on our last night we ate at FIG. We specifically told our waiter about my son allergies but where not sure he took them seriously because we ended up having to give him his EpiPen and have emergency personnel come and have a look at him.

The front desk staff was very helpful, especially the manager who looked after us for those 48 hours we stayed there. If you need a bigger room, be sure to ask about the older part of the hotel and specify that you want a room on the pool side, not 2nd Street. You'll be fine.

1  Thank lcf2001
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We used the bungalow meeting room for a two day conference. The atmosphere was fabulous. This was nothing like the usual hotel meeting room. The Fairmont went to great lengths to create something very special. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at the Miramar. The location is excellent - a close walk to downtown restaurants and shopping, and right across the street from the beach.
The Miramar staff was fantastic - everyone from the front desk, concierge, restaurant and housekeeping were polite, efficient and incredibly friendly!
We booked through Amex FHR and were upgraded to a Premiere Ocean View Room. The view was spectacular, but the room was a bit small. My husband's main complaint was that there wasn't a comfortable chair in the room in which to sit and read a book. I ended up dragging in one of the chairs from the balcony for him. When I got home and looked on the Miramar's website, I saw that there was supposed to have been a black leather reading chair in the room... I wondered what happened to ours??
We had breakfast each day at the hotel and it was delicious. We had lunch at the pool once and that was nice too. The pool is a bit small and gets shady in the afternoon, so get there early if you plan to spend the day so you get a good seat. The pool lounge chairs are so soft and comfortable!!
We borrowed the awesome BMW bicycles every morning and took a ride along the beach down to Venice - I would highly recommend doing this - it was so much fun!
Overall we loved the Miramar and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Definitely spend the extra money to get a room with an ocean view
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carolynvonm
Reviewed March 28, 2014

The service at this hotel was unsurpassed. Every request was met in an extremely timely basis. Location was fantastic. On the pricey side for sure, but we got our 4th night free through a promotion. We stayed in the one-bedroom suite, on the Palasides tower. Room was nice, quiet. Wasn't thrilled with the sleeper sofa (it was noisy and thin) and the layout of the room makes it difficult for those in the extra sleeping area to use the restroom. The bathroom as also only ok. It was recently updated, but our tub had chips in the paint and our sink became clogged. These are all minor inconveniences, but it is why I give 4 instead of 5 stars. The FIG was expensive. Have breakfast down at Jinkys on 2nd street!

Room Tip: Choose Palasides suites/side for quiet.
1  Thank cindymward