“Overpriced”

Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Overpriced”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Booked 2 queen for business trip. Front desk tried to put us in king. Finally after 30 minutes, she acted like she did me a favor and found a dbl queen. Room was small and the bathroom doors were French doors!!!!! So basically you could see in and hear someone using the bathroom!!! Room was small compared to other hotels. Hallways were dark and dreary. Update your hotel!!!! Won't stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Jjolly76

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Santa Monica offers a multitude of hotel options, even when traveling with a dog.

On my return back to my hometown after over one year since moving away, I wanted to stay at a luxurious hotel that would welcome my dog with a view of the Santa Monica Bay. Surprisingly, this still left me with a number of hotel options!

After reading many reviews on Travelocity, I chose to stay at The Fairmont Miramar. I could not be happier with that decision.

SHOUTOUTS: The greeting given to my dog by Danielle at check-in, the beautiful suite I was booked in to by Carly (an available complimentary upgrade due to my reserving through AmEx's Fine Hotels & Resorts), delicious breakfasts at Fig, a wonderful conversation with the very helpful Christina, head of housekeeping, who gave me room advice for future visits, miles of places with amazing views to walk my dog both on the grounds and across the street in Palisades Park, proximity to restaurants and shopping (again, on the grounds and across the street), friendly valet service (though at $40/night it should be), great room layout (working desk, coffee bar with sink and honor bar offerings below, HUGE walk-in closet with oversized safe, friendly, FAST and tasty room service, and a bed so comfortable I never wanted to get out of it each morning.

Basically I had a perfect stay at this beautiful property. Did I mention the ocean view from my suite's bedroom window

I was busy visiting with friends & family (I had eight people stop by over the course of the weekend, and all of them pulled through valet and were allowed to either complimentary valet park if coming in to have a meal with me at Fig, or wait in their cars near the entrance while I came down to meet them to go elsewhere) - so I didn't avail myself of Exhale's classes or spa services. Next trip!

Your mileage may vary based on room class, time of year/business of hotel, and your expectations. The Fairmont Miramar is not the most luxurious or exclusive choice in town, nor is it the most economical choice. However, for my very picky, very spoiled self it was the perfect choice, and I will try to stay at The Fairmont Miramar on all my future visits back to the West Coast.

I cannot imagine finding a more welcoming staff or a more beautifully situated location.

**If I had to nitpick about something it would be the relatively small bathroom with very little counter space and a much-too-old combined shower and tub (for this price I would expect a separate shower and tub). The lighting was pretty good (for applying make up), and its size certainly would not keep me from staying here again solo. Traveling with my husband, though, I would probably ask for a different room with larger bathroom.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the North Side of the property or the noise from The Bungalow nightclub could be t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Malibama
Grand Island, New York
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Stayed here with a buddy on a recent trip to LA and loved it! LA is so spread out it is hard to pick a location to stay... Our first night we stayed downtown next to the Staples Center and then our second night at the bungalows. Anywhere you go is a 20 min ride, so we preferred the bungalows because it was right on the beach and Santa Monica is Beautiful!

Rooms were great (see below)

Service was awesome! Very professional staff

Room Service was on point.

I would highly recommend going to the Bungalows Lounge located in front of the hotel! It is a very nice place to grab a drink and enjoy some of the best nightlife LA has to offer!

When I return to LA I am definitely going to be staying in Santa Monica again and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone! Family, Couples, or like me Two bros just enjoying the city!

Room Tip: We had a non ocean front room in the older of the two towers and still loved it! Room was very spaci...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a wonderful, romantic getaway. Travel a ton for work and have high expectations. Checked in late per arrival times from NYC area. Was "upgraded" to bungalow. Lovely BUT not the ocean view booked. Quick visit to front desk and assured all would be corrected next morning - and it was! Spectacular room in line with expectations. Concierge (hidden resource of any hotel!!) staff amazing - dealt with four and all were fantastic. Figs restaurant - service, food, setting.... Wonderful!!! A great stay. Highly recommend! Hotel manager is incredibly attentive.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KPG33
CarlySkinner, Director of Rooms at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Dear KPG33 –

Thank you so much for your review! Sorry we didn’t get the upgrade right with you…I completely understand how you would prefer the view over the bungalow. Luckily we have a little something for everyone’s tastes!

Agreed that the Concierge and team and FIG are wonderful and it is so rewarding to have that recognized by guests such as yourself. And yes, our Hotel Manager is equally as wonderful, and I’m not just saying that because he’s my boss : ) I’m so glad you saw the best of the best shine during your stay.

Please let me know when you are planning your next visit and I will personally ensure you get the best view available!

Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My wife and I spent four nights here and enjoyed every minute of it. It is a very elegant (and expensive) hotel right on the Pacific. We could see the Santa Monica pier from our room. The pool is really nice and we used the valet parking which was very convenient. We will return on our next trip to LA.

Room Tip: The higher the better for the best views.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Drew K –

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us during your getaway down the coast! We really do offer the best views in Santa Monica and the location doesn’t get any better. Please let me know when you plan on returning so we can further exceed your expectations!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Let's start by saying I have stayed at a LOT of hotels...and this could very well be my favorite! The view of the beach from my room, fabulous, FIG the restaurant, some of the best food in California, Bungalow, SO FUN! I saw some celebs there as well, very cool. The pool had great food and drinks as well... you are missing out if you don't try the cob salad. I ordered it three times while there!

The staff while checking in was great, they took such great care of me for my early arrival. I can't wait to go visit again, it will definitely be in the near future. I have convinced all my friends to start staying there as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scruffy26
Dear Scruffy26 –

Let ME start by saying…I love your user name. And thank you for the five stars! It sounds like you experienced everything we have to offer from fun in the sun to a night out at Bungalow, and I’m so pleased we impressed on all accounts….especially the Cobb salad (which I order all the time too!!)

Thank you so much for passing on the praise to your friends and family, and please let me know if I may be of any assistance making arrangements for you now or in the future!

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I'm absolutely in love with this beachy location that feels lush and green thanks to the massive fig tree and greenery around the property. This place feels unique and secluded next to other hotels that go far too stark and modern to stand out.

Brigitte was my facialist at the spa, and it was truly the best facial I have ever had, and I probably have 20 facials a year at high end spas.

The Fig Restaurant was incredible. I had the trout for dinner, and started with the ceviche. The service was very attentive as well, which does not always happen in Los Angeles.

The driveway up itself is worth a visit, but you won't be disappointed if you go inside. The Bungalow Bar is nice too on weekdays.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear OrchidGardener –

I’m absolutely in love with this review! We pride ourselves on being a resort-style oasis in the middle of bustling Santa Monica, and our lush landscape and tranquil spa only enhance that feeling. I will be sure to pass your kind words on to Brigitte at exhale…we are truly lucky to be home to one of the top spas and fitness facilities in Los Angeles!

What is always the most rewarding for us is receiving comments about service, and to say the service in FIG stands out against all the restaurants LA has to offer means so much. Thank you!

Come back soon! I’m sure you could use another break from all that NYC snow!