“Really excellent stay, great service and nice staf!”

Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Austin, Texas
“Really excellent stay, great service and nice staf!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed here for New Year's Eve and for four nights total. We were in the Palisades sweet which was quite lovely. There were some issues with the heat and a strange smell. I also found the mattresses to be uncomfortable and ask them to change a mattress for a new one which they did.

Get in spite of these issues, the hotel was excellent. The staff was friendly and the services were good and the food was better than good.

• Stayed January 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed at the Fairmont for 2 nights in a Palisades Suite which was quite spacious although the decor is a bit dated. The lighting in the room was terrible, no way to read anywhere at night, but the staff quickly responded to our complaints by bringing in additional standing lamps. We unfortunately heard a lot of street noise at night even though we were on the 6th floor. The hotel is well known in town for its signature Figs restaurant but we found breakfast there to be treated as an afterthought. Service was slow and many of the choices were not very good. We found the hotel's location to be its greatest asset: Just across the street from the beach, a short walk to good restaurants, the Santa Monica Pier and the Third Street promenade for shopping. Also, the concierge was incredibly helpful with suggestions and driving directions for trips around LA.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This hotel is very nice but what transforms this hotel into something special is the quality of service. The staff are just wonderful and during our stay nothing was too much trouble. On my daughter's birthday they delivered a cake to our room courtesy of the hotel and arranged regular transport to the beach. The only downside of this place is its distance to the beach.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Have stayed in more than 15+ Fairmont Hotels, and this one in Santa Monica was very disappointing.

The lobby and grounds were very nice, but the room size is equivalent to a New York type hotel. The Deluxe King is very small (275 Sq Ft), and the larger rooms in the Palisades Building are awful; very dated, more like a motel versus so-called luxury hotel.

Also, be careful, and watch your bill. We noticed numerous errors when we checked it on the TV prior to check-out. Almost $250 of over-charges between the room rate and food charges.

On a positive note, the location to the promenade is great.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank MichaelChristine
CarlySkinner, Director of Rooms at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Dear MichaelChristine –

I’m very sorry to read your review as it seems you were not properly introduced to our property and the variety of rooms we have to offer.

As a New Yorker, I understand what you mean about small rooms. However, unlike most New York City hotels, the room category you stayed in represents only a fraction of our total room inventory. We have much larger rooms ranging from our Palisades Suites starting at 500 square feet to our Bi-Level Bungalows measuring around 1000 square feet with outdoor seating for up to ten!

Regarding the Palisades rooms, we have spent considerable time and resources updating them since we recognize furniture from decades past is not as appealing as it once was. The next time you are in town, please allow me to personally show you one of our completely renovated Palisades rooms decorated by LA-based interior designer Lynda Murray. I can assure you they look nothing like what you would find at a motel.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly at any time (carly.skinner@fairmont.com) so we can figure out how to welcome you back and have you enjoy our property as it is meant to be enjoyed.

Kind Regards,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

WARNING: According to the front desk this place does not have a set check-in. I arrived at 4:30 pm only to be told that my room was not ready. Over the phone I was told by the hotel staff that check-in is at 3:00 pm and I even knew who I spoke with. However the gentleman at the front desk acted as if he had no idea who I was talking about and was not apologetic nor was he helpful. I asked him for an approximate wait time and he brushed me off and said he didn't know. He told me that the hotel doesn't have a set check-in time. I've stayed at hotel chains including Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Ritz Carlton's, Montage, St. Regis and never have I heard such a ridiculous statement. I don't have a problem with my room not being ready as long as you own up to it and treat your guests in a respectable manner.

Luckily I happened to have my email confirmation on my iPhone which I had to re-wait in line for another 15 minutes to get help from another gentleman. As soon as he saw the email confirmation a room happened to magically pop up. I don't expect this kind of service from a world class hotel brand such as the Fairmont.

On top of being disappointed by the lack of service the rooms are extremely small and the decor is outdated.

Next time I stay in Santa Monica I will give Loews and Shutters a try.

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank David D
Dear David D –

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the way your reservation was handled at the Front Desk. Know that I am addressing your interactions with the team to ensure a similar situation does not occur with any future guest.

It is true we get busy and sometimes rooms are not ready when they should be. Let me be clear, we strive to have every guest’s room ready for them regardless of what time they arrive. We may not always succeed, but we are constantly reaching out to guests for their arrival time prior to their reservation with the intention of having their keys waiting for them.

Before giving another hotel a try, please reach out to me directly off-line (carly.skinner@fairmont.com). I would love to discuss your stay further and prove to you we are worth another chance.

Chicago
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Well I do not understand why there are so many great reviews? It truly is an average hotel. The location is good, if you want to be in Santa Monica,? The lobby and grounds are nice but that is my expectation of the Fairmount brand. We arrived from LAX later in the evening on a Friday and there happened to be a large tent with loud thumping music at the entrance, which I thought was perhaps a wedding reception? I was wrong, it was a make shift night club in a tent called Bungalow. A line of 20 somethings until 1am. I found this very off putting especially considering all of the rooms on the north side of the building must overlook the club and be exposed to the loud music. It appears the property is desperate for revenue. To be fair, the "nightclub" at the hotel seems a nationwide trend, many NYC hotels do it, however I find it diminishes the brand and value of a hotel that touts their brand as luxurious or charges accordingly . At the least I would say it is annoying and disturbing to most guests who pay $350 - $500 a night for a room. We were given a room on the south side per our request. The rooms here are small, worn and in need of refreshing. We were told remodeling has already begun on specific floors. The fitness area is adequate but certainly could be larger. We were told complimentary coffee was available daily in the lobby however not told it is only available from 5am - 8am, at 8:15am there is a $3 charge, what is the point? Another desperate attempt for $$. There are Kuerig like coffee makers in the room, I just don't really consider it decent coffee. At 6am we were awakened to the sound of pool furniture being dragged across the concrete patio. The crew that cleans the grounds were oblivious to the fact that at 6am guests may still be sleeping. Overall I would just say not to be deceived by the attempts of the property to portray itself as luxurious, it is rather average. If you are price conscious it really isn't worth spending more on this hotel than the nearby properties. Or, spend an additional $100 per night and stay at Shutters for true luxury, peace and quiet.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dunelandvirgo
Dear dunelandvirgo –

I am truly very sorry you left so dissatisfied with your stay. We do not see our lounge Bungalow (certainly not a make-shift night club - Hollywood can keep those!) as a desperate attempt for revenue, but rather as a venue that enhances our property rather than diminish it.

Bungalow has become one of the most desirable destinations in Santa Monica and the reason that some of our guests stay with us. It is less a night-club and more a neighborhood beach-bar, quickly becoming a staple of the Santa Monica community as a whole.

For those guests who prefer something a little more low-key, we have two separate entrances to the hotel where you can avoid The Bungalow entirely, and rooms which look out over four other angles of the property where you can’t hear a thing. I assure you we are just as luxurious as ever.

If you give me the opportunity, I’m sure we can make things right. As you said, we are in the process of renovating the entire Ocean Tower, and I would love for you to come back and see the direction we are heading in. Please reach out to me at your convenience (carly.skinner@fairmont.com)

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed December 29, 2013

we received absolutely outstanding rooms and service. Started with the Ocean view Deluxe King (room 840) and was everything you could ask for. Great view, reasonable balcony and quiet.
We downgraded to a Deluxe King on the 3rd floor to save a little bit, and only missed the bed on the 8th. The pool view was great too and no noise to speak of.
One unexpected exception to the great level of service was the Concierge desk, they blitzed everyone with their unique style & level of service; their friendly nothing was too difficult attitude was superlative and Amber surpassed all other experiences I have had in any hotel, a notch above with her extra effort and an absolute professional at all times. We missed her on the rest of our trip around Vegas, Downtown LA and San Diego.
Car rentals were made so easy, delivered in 45 minutes and got an upgrade, hotel bicycles for free made for a great ride to Venice Beach, the Bungalow bar is fantastic and removed slightly from the hotel making you feel like you have actually gone out.
The only thing that I found a little unusual were the slats on the bathroom doors, a little different but quickly got over it and any other little things that always happen were quickly dealt with and completely forgotten due to the service levels from everyone.
Superb location, will stay again for sure.

Room Tip: Ocean view and pool view were both quiet.