“Gone to the dogs!”

Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Brisbane Australia
“Gone to the dogs!”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The tone of this hotel was set by the fact that the bulb in the elevator button was out which meant we didn't know if the elevator was working. We had two rooms and the bedside clock was way wrong in both! This shows very inefficient housekeeping. Also the Internet was incredibly slow.

This we could bear – what we could not handle were dogs everywhere and to be kept awake by a dog yapping in the room next door.

Room Tip: Don't pick a room over the outdoor beer garden on a Friday night – noisy
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Noel100
CarlySkinner, Director of Rooms at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Noel100 –

It sounds like you had a most unpleasant stay and for that I sincerely and deeply apologize. I do have good news though…after reading your review I tested all the elevator buttons myself (it took awhile) and then had a technician dispatched immediately. You will be pleased to know they are all currently in working order and brighter than ever.

And regarding the Internet…we underwent several updates recently which caused the network to be down for small stretches of time. However, we now have one of the fastest connections in the city!!

Should you find yourself in the Santa Monica/Los Angeles area again in the future, please reach out to me directly. I am confident I can find arrangements for you on our property away from yappy dogs and rowdy guests to show you we can do better than the impression you were left with. And I will be sure to check your bedside clocks personally.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife and I along with our French Bulldog (who was treated like a king by the staff) had a very relaxing stay at the Fairmont Miramar. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We had a fantastic dinner at Fig where everyone was also very friendly and the food delicious. We stayed in one of the bungalows and it was very roomy, comfortable and well appointed.You can take a short walk to The Third Street Promanade or walk to the beach or stay around the pool in the daytime and visit the very popular The Bungalow for the cool nightlife. I would recommend the hotel for the courtesy and friendliness of the the staff along with the well maintained property and the overall pleasant experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jackson5375 –

Thank you so much for your review! I’m pretty sure I remember your dog…he was just the cutest and is welcome back any time! You and your wife are more than welcome to accompany him as well :)

Hope to see you all again sooner than later!!

San Francisco
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is well located & enjoyable whether you stay in the tower or the fabulous cottages. The towers offer an ocean view and even the Santa Monica pier but the cottages offer the pleasure of privacy and a summer beach type experience. Actually you do not even need to venture beyond the hotel to have a great time. The food is good ; the spa excellent and the vistas rewarding. It is an easy walk if you want to explore decent shops and excellent restaurants in Santa Monica.. The drive is also easy off business hours if you are up for Art in the local galleries or even the LA County Museum. I like this location as it is accessible to LA culture but has a laid back friendly am own e with an efficient friendly staff.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear ECAMERONSanFrancisco –

What a great write-up, thank you! I agree with you that despite our fantastic location, it really isn't necessary to leave the hotel! We are a destination property in an urban setting, and it doesn’t get much better. Your review sums up the culture of our hotel – we are fun, beachy, and approachable, but never lose sight of our luxury service standards.

Please let me know when you are ready to plan your next trip down the coast! I hope to welcome you back soon!

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I spent the entire Labor Day weekend here and it was amazing. From the Pleasent staff to the great in house restraunt FIG!!! The relaxation Center was one of my favorite amenities that the hotel provided. It was like a mini spa including a steam room and sauna, showers and a quiet place to just relax. We also took the bikes out a couple of times and really enjoyed that! Not to mention the view from our balcony was perfect overlooking the beach!
NIghtlife: The Bungalow!!! Boom! I loved the overall feeling here! The decor was spot on and i really had a good time!

Thank you for everything Fairmont Staff :) Wonderful stay

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Talawna D –

BOOM! I love it!!! Thank you so much for such an enthusiastic and rave review! If I was here over Labor Day weekend, I would probably just shuttle myself back and forth between the exhale spa and Bungalow, stopping only for a quick bite at FIG. So it sounds like you had my kind of vacation. I’m so glad you had such a great time!! Hopefully we see you during your next long weekend!

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We chose this hotel because we know and trust the Fairmont chain and this was no exception. Lots of staff available at arrival, in fact we never waited for anything. Nice concierge and superb customer service. The rooms are a bit small but it was big enough for my husband and I and well appointed. We stayed in the ocean tower and had a great view of the Santa Monica pier. We loved that they had a nespresso machine in the room. The hotel is centrally located to all the restaurants, shops, pier and beach. We loved that they had complimentary bikes for all guest which we used to ride the strand a local attractions and restaurants. The pool is a bit small but nice to sit around and relax. The cocktail bar is nice to grab a drink at in the evening before dinner. The bungalow club on the property is a super hip outside beach themed bar and recommended for those looking for a late night place to go.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a quiet side avoid staying on the front side of the ocean tower as the bungal...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear lekhop –

Thank you for your review! We love our dual roles as ambassador for the Fairmont brand and Santa Monica landmark, so thank you for highlighting that we do both so well. And your kind words about our team (with the specific nod towards our Concierge) are much appreciated! I hope to welcome you back soon!

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2013

After a long drive this hotel ticked all the boxes! We were greeted by a valet who parked the car, took our cases and handed us a drink. Check in was seamless, we were slightly early so the room wasn't quite ready. We left out belongings with the receptionist and went to get something to eat from the pool bar. Rooms are a good size and very clean. The pool area is quite small and we did struggle with sun beds but the staff were really helpful 9 times of 10 found us somewhere to sit. Santa Monica itself is my new favorite place, absolutely loved it and very much hope to return in the future and will definitely stay at the Fairmont.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
CarlySkinner, Director of Rooms at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear leedslady083 –

Santa Monica has always been my favorite area of LA too, and I am so pleased we are your new favorite hotel in your new favorite vacation spot!! It sounds like service start to finish was spot-on, and I will be sure to share this with our staff here. Sorry about your frustration poolside, but that’s why we have such a fantastic team out there – to make pool chairs magically appear when you need them so you don’t miss a moment of sun!

Thank you for your review and please feel free to reach out to me directly to plan your next trip!

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I frequently visit Santa Monica, and when I do, I stay at the Fairmont Hotel & Bungalows. The location, wonderful service, amenities and beautiful grounds are what make this hotel such a great place to visit!

I have stayed in the Bungalows in the past, which I LOVE and are very cozy and comfortable. This time, however, I stayed in the high rise building with a gorgeous view of the ocean. The sunsets and sunrise were absolutely breath taking! The housekeeping staff kept our room impeccable, with morning coffee and newspapers, daily stay over service, and evening turn down service.

We utilized many of the hotel's amenities. We used the complimentary bikes to ride up and down ocean avenue, and visit the nearby Saturday and Sunday market. We also had the jeep bring us down to the beach where they had umbrellas and chairs waiting for us! The poolside service at the hotel is great, offering amazing cocktails and a wonderful menu from FIG Restaurant. So yummy! Near the pool is the relaxation center, which was so refreshing to visit after a long day at the beach.

Everything is just so close, easy and accommodating; just how a vacation should be! The Fairmont does it right! I can't wait to go back and visit. This is, hands down, my favorite vacation spot! :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear JenniferColleen –

Thank you so much for your review and for your continued loyalty!! I love that you were able to experience a different room category this time around and get a sense of how we have a little something for all tastes. Your review clearly proves its title – we are the best hotel in Santa Monica!!

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!