“Great last minute getaway”

Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows
Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed July 16, 2013

A great choice if staying in Santa Monica. It's conveniently located and service and quality are top-notch.

We stayed on the 10th floor in an ocean view room and had a fabulous view of of the beach, ocean, and Malibu. We enjoyed breakfast at the property each morning and had an excellent dinner at Fig our last night there.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
CarlySkinner, Director of Rooms at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Dear cav007 –

Thank you for the short and sweet review! The scenic views from the top floor rooms of our Ocean Tower make me stop and stare every time I’m up there. Its quite distracting for me at work, but for our guests I cannot think of anything better!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Director of Rooms

Write a ReviewReviews (2,473)

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We were hoping for a romantic weekend at the beach however we were somewhat disappointed with the Fairmont. When we arrived, there was a wedding in the hotel that night and everything had been arranged for the wedding, we definitely did not feel welcome as hotel guests. Then our room was the wrong room type and they did not have any availability in the room type we requested. The receptionists did not seem on top of things at all. The room was also somewhat old and the bathroom shutter doors do not give ANY privacy. Considering the $400/night price, I would be willing to either pay more and stay at the Shutters or pay less and stay in one of the various options in Santa Monica.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EPTraveller99

Dear EPTraveller99 –

I’m so sorry you had such a disappointing experience with us. I tried to find your reservation but was unsuccessful…I hope you will reach out to me directly so I can get to the bottom of what happened and find a way to make it up to you!

Especially in the spring and summer, many couples choose to get married under our gorgeous fig tree in the front drive. We always try to not disrupt our hotel guests with wedding arrangements to keep them from feeling displaced – I’m terribly sorry we failed to do that with you. If you find yourself in need of another romantic getaway, please let me know so I may handle all your arrangements personally.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Enjoyable trip to Santa Monica. Suite on the top floor had fantastic views of Malibu and opposite of the Pier. The Fig Tree in the front entrance is amazing, I think they said it was the second largest tree (in the US?) of its species. The rooms are clean, spacious and bright. The rear pool and koi pond are pretty and pleasant. The restaurant is also of good choice and service and child friendly. The Spa is lovely and relaxing. It's is central to the shops and restaurants in the area. Concierge will arrange restaurant and sightseeing, Malibu Beach, Venice Beach - recommend during the day, the Pier and you can even charter a boat to Santa Maria.

Room Tip: Top floor suites have great views
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear JulesbPreston –

Thank you for your glowing review!!! It sounds like you took full advantage of all the services and amenities we (and Santa Monica!) offer and I’m so glad the result was such a wonderful trip.

I look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Los Angeles!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed here a total of six nights on two different trips. The first was in a 1 bedroom suite #510 in the north building. I also stayed in #222 and #540 in the main building (the building closest to Ocean drive). The suite was large, clean and very comfortable. This building is quieter and away from the nightclub. The only downside is that if your room faces north you will be looking at the front of the Huntley Hotel and may hear some of the associated noise. Room #222 was the first room off the elevator and directly above the restaurant. Also, the service elevator door is directly across this room. So if possible, avoid any room with 22 at the end. On the other hand, room #540 was excellent because it was bigger quieter and had an amazing view -- it was at the end of the hall and faced the ocean and beach directly. There is another room across the hall rom #540 that faces the ocean, but it is one the side of the nightclub so I can't say if it is as good. All other rooms in this building face the beach at an angle.

The staff was excellent, however, the front desk was not well staffed -- there was a line two and sometimes 3 or 4 deep during late mornings early afternoons.

This hotel is vibrant with activity. The pool is small relative to the size of the hotel. You will not get a lounge chair unless you get out of bed early.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Dear AKNose –

I love that you were able to experience such a nice variety of room categories! 510 is one of the suites we recently re-did and is actually one of my favorites! And its hard to go wrong with any of the rooms in the Ocean Tower since each offers such stunning views of the coast to both the North and South.

I’m sorry if you found yourself waiting unnecessarily at the Front Desk…but you’ll be pleased to know we recently hired a few new team members to ensure appropriate staffing levels at all times!!!

I hope to see you back here on your next trip to LA and have you try out a few more rooms types!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We paid a lot of money to holiday here for 3nts and were disappointed to be given a room with no view when we had requested that specifically. We moved to a smaller room on our second day but at least then we had a balcony looking out to the pier, asked if there was any refund for taking a smaller room, but receptionist said it was the same price. By the way our first room had letters and stuff left in the room by two sets of guest that had stayed previously, reception told us just to use the stuff they had left behind. Didn't seem bothered that the room hadn't been checked for our arrival. Not good, considering what we paid. Pool was rather small. Valet parking was good but expensive. Good location and nice, but not sure we will return.

Room Tip: If view is important to you, check what you are getting before you arrive. location is good and Hol...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear valheggie –

There are quite a few concerning points in your review that I would love the opportunity to address, starting with how your room was booked. We always do our best to accommodate all guest requests, but there are some rooms where the view is guaranteed – so if you reserved a room within those categories I want to find out why you didn’t get what you booked.

Please reach out to me directly – carly.skinner@fairmont.com. I look forward to figuring out just where we went wrong and finding a way to make it up to you.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

The Fairmont Santa Monica was a great choice for our 3 night stay. This hotel is situated just a short walk to restaurants and great shopping also the famous Santa Monica Pier. There is the express bus service nearby that takes you into Los Angeles and Rodeo Drive etc. The position of this hotel is just opposite the beach with lovely gardens and great pool area. We had lunch with friends and breakfast everyday and would recommend eating here. If you like a change there are plenty of coffee shops close by and restaurants. It is an oasis in a busy city. The hotel staff were excellent . As we have stayed in several Fairmont Hotels, it was a pleasure to stay here.

Room Tip: When staying during the summer months be sure to ask for a quiet room due to the night club in the f...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear ChrisJTourist –

Thank you for your review and for describing just how ideal our location is within Los Angeles! Most visitors prefer our location by the beach as opposed to staying within the hustle and bustle of a Central LA property. And thank you for highlighting our fantastic team…I will be sure to pass your kind words along!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stay at the Fairmont fairly frequently for business, and on occasion bring my family as well. My latest trip was the latter type, and the Fairmont staff definitely stepped up to the plate. My wife has severe chemical sensitivities, and had a bad reaction to the new soaps and lotions the Fairmont had switched to on a previous trip a year or so ago. I reminded them of this before we arrived, and they made sure all of our bedding was not only hypoallergenic but was washed twice, the second time with only hot water to minimize any chemical residue. They even had similarly-handled cloth napkins in the Lobby Lounge, at Fig, and for room service, and one of the managers stopped by to make sure they had enough of those allocated to the areas we planned on eating!

Unfortunately, despite the fact that the entire hotel is a no-smoking zone, we had problems with rooms near us smoking on their balconies, resulting in cigarette smoke wafting into our room. The staff was responsive and tried to put a stop to it, but it is annoying to have to keep being driven off our balcony and having to call down to complain multiple times a day. I wish they would install smoke detectors on the balconies to dissuade people from smoking. We've had similar problems at other high-end hotels (including the Hyatt Regency on Kauai, which is about the nicest place we've ever stayed), and I would say the staff's response at the Fairmont is above average (although not as good as at the aforementioned Hyatt, which addressed the problem similarly but was more proactive about communicating with us and had better follow-up).

The pool is very nice and the area around it has been spruced up recently, so is in excellent shape. I really like the fact that the pool is both heated and salt-water, so you don't end up stinking of chlorine after a dip. The landscaping around it and the way it is enclosed by the two hotel wings plus bungalos makes it a nice oasis from the surrounding urbanity.

My wife and son really like the spa (or whatever it is where they do the manicures/pedicures). I have no opinion (and have never actually been into that part of the property). Unfortunately the workout area is being refurbished, so they had moved the machines to a banquet room which wasn't well-ventilated, so the air was a bit "thick". I prefer long walks outside anyway, but my wife is a workout freak so she and my son were disappointed (but used it anyway).

We really like the Lobby Lounge - great for people-watching and the staff is really friendly, plus they will let you order off the room service menu as well as their menu, so the options are reasonably extensive. We've eaten at Fig in the past and found it a bit much for our taste, but I did have a nice breakfast there this morning. The breakfast menu looked about the same as the Lobby Lounge but the atmosphere is fancier and the service more attentive.

Not quite as front-and-center, but the reservation staff did a great job of communicating my room options via email before our stay as well.

So overall another great stay. I'll be back in a week-and-a-half (but this time by myself).

Room Tip: The rooms in the Palisades building are larger but older and darker and sometimes a bit musty. The r...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Kevin F –

As one of the people you corresponded with before your arrival, I’m so pleased your most recent stay went so well! And you’ll be happy to hear that our new and improved fitness center is up-and-running and is FANTASTIC!!! We’ve already gotten so much positive feedback about the updates.

I see you already have your next stay booked! We look forward to welcoming you back soon and thanking you in person for your kind words and loyalty.