“Excellent service, clean rooms, nice amenities” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows

Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Carnation, Washington, United States
“Excellent service, clean rooms, nice amenities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stay at the Fairmont fairly frequently for business, and on occasion bring my family as well. My latest trip was the latter type, and the Fairmont staff definitely stepped up to the plate. My wife has severe chemical sensitivities, and had a bad reaction to the new soaps and lotions the Fairmont had switched to on a previous trip a year or so ago. I reminded them of this before we arrived, and they made sure all of our bedding was not only hypoallergenic but was washed twice, the second time with only hot water to minimize any chemical residue. They even had similarly-handled cloth napkins in the Lobby Lounge, at Fig, and for room service, and one of the managers stopped by to make sure they had enough of those allocated to the areas we planned on eating!

Unfortunately, despite the fact that the entire hotel is a no-smoking zone, we had problems with rooms near us smoking on their balconies, resulting in cigarette smoke wafting into our room. The staff was responsive and tried to put a stop to it, but it is annoying to have to keep being driven off our balcony and having to call down to complain multiple times a day. I wish they would install smoke detectors on the balconies to dissuade people from smoking. We've had similar problems at other high-end hotels (including the Hyatt Regency on Kauai, which is about the nicest place we've ever stayed), and I would say the staff's response at the Fairmont is above average (although not as good as at the aforementioned Hyatt, which addressed the problem similarly but was more proactive about communicating with us and had better follow-up).

The pool is very nice and the area around it has been spruced up recently, so is in excellent shape. I really like the fact that the pool is both heated and salt-water, so you don't end up stinking of chlorine after a dip. The landscaping around it and the way it is enclosed by the two hotel wings plus bungalos makes it a nice oasis from the surrounding urbanity.

My wife and son really like the spa (or whatever it is where they do the manicures/pedicures). I have no opinion (and have never actually been into that part of the property). Unfortunately the workout area is being refurbished, so they had moved the machines to a banquet room which wasn't well-ventilated, so the air was a bit "thick". I prefer long walks outside anyway, but my wife is a workout freak so she and my son were disappointed (but used it anyway).

We really like the Lobby Lounge - great for people-watching and the staff is really friendly, plus they will let you order off the room service menu as well as their menu, so the options are reasonably extensive. We've eaten at Fig in the past and found it a bit much for our taste, but I did have a nice breakfast there this morning. The breakfast menu looked about the same as the Lobby Lounge but the atmosphere is fancier and the service more attentive.

Not quite as front-and-center, but the reservation staff did a great job of communicating my room options via email before our stay as well.

So overall another great stay. I'll be back in a week-and-a-half (but this time by myself).

Room Tip: The rooms in the Palisades building are larger but older and darker and sometimes a bit musty. The r...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
CarlySkinner, Director of Rooms at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear Kevin F –

As one of the people you corresponded with before your arrival, I’m so pleased your most recent stay went so well! And you’ll be happy to hear that our new and improved fitness center is up-and-running and is FANTASTIC!!! We’ve already gotten so much positive feedback about the updates.

I see you already have your next stay booked! We look forward to welcoming you back soon and thanking you in person for your kind words and loyalty.

Carly Skinner
Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Modesto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

After reading many reviews I thought I had booked the right location. Unfortunately even though we paid for a beautiful ocean view and had the "farmous" Santa Monica pier in our sight, we had a party below us on the street side of ocean Blvd. The noise was so loud from the 7th floor we had to shut the door for the night and were not able to enjoy the beautiful ocean weather. Especially since it had just rained and cleaned up all the nasty air. Staff all around was friendly room was great, just askquestions about your room location upon check-in.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear fu313x –

Thank you for your review and my sincerest apologies for the noise disturbance. Over the past few weeks, we have made several improvements to the noise and music coming from Bungalow. I guarantee if you return (which I certainly hope you do!) you will notice the difference immediately. And if you reach out to me prior to your arrival, I will ensure your room is situated in a much quieter section of the property, yet still with a balcony so you can enjoy those lovely ocean breezes!

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Carly Skinner
Director of Rooms
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The hotel is well located if you plan on visiting Santa Monica, Malibu, and Pacific Palisades. You can easily walk to the 3rd Street Promenade, the Pier, and many restaurants. The Bungalow is located on property (not run by the Fairmont), and is a very cool space for the 40 and under crowd (but over 21).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Sagaponack, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We had been staying in Palm Springs for the winter, running our business from there with trips to LA and stays at the beautiful Fairmont Miramar. We were driving back east and our first stop was at the Miramar. We never realized that we had brought a zippered briefcase of all our passports, keys and door openers to our home, checkbooks, the works into the hotel and never missed it until we tried to get into our home on Long Island. Thanks to the honesty of an anonymous person and the efficiency of Frank in the Risk Management Department, all was returned to us in time. Do not miss the opportunity to stay at this fantastic property where Wilshire meets Ocean.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Tyldesley, Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Apart from a rather stuffy receptionist as our first level of contact, the rest of the hotel staff were perfectly charming and exceptionally efficient, in particular the lady consierge on duty on Friday 28th June; who is an absolute treasure. The room was well maintained and immaculate with a comprehensive mini bar and other "requirements". A good nights sleep was had on both nights and the valet parking is well worth the money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
santa barbara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The Fairmont was a wonderful choice for our family reunion. We had four days of incredible service from the Valet, Concierge desk , Housekeeping and many more. We were able to enjoy the beautiful lobby, fountains, grassy lounging area, pool, and spa. We had a North facing room on the 9th floor, which faces towards Malibu, great view! It had a comfortable balcony with a small table and 2 chairs. The room had a chaise, which was positioned close to the sliding glass door, so that one could take advantage of the Pacific Ocean. We also had a complimentary newspaper delivered every morning as well as complimentary bottled water. The room was charming with an extremely comfortable bed. We took advantage of many of the amenities that the Fairmont has to offer: from the complimentary bicycles, complimentary house car and a very fun jeep ride to the ocean. The hotel also, had wonderful concierge service on the beach. One of our family members wouldn't have been able to join us on the beach due to physical limitations if we had not had the concierge services. She was wheeled out onto the beach and a wonderful time was had by all. The hotel is in very close proximity to the Third Street Promenade and directly across the street from Palisades Park which over looks the Pacific Ocean and has nice walking/running trails. We are looking forward to our next visit. A special Thank you to Alison for making this all possible!

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sunnysb
New Milford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is a great hotel for location and services. If you are visiting The LA area shoreline this is the place to be. Walking distance to Santa Monica, Venice Beach and all of the activities and sights the California beach path has to offer. If you haven't had the pleasure it is a must see.. The only downside to the hotel are the rooms. As usual (and I have traveled extensively by booking through travel sights as in this case) the first room offered was in one of the hotels least desirable locations. I (as usual) requested a more appropriate room based on the fact that I paid the same rate offers directly by the hotel for the same nights. They conceded and changed my room but I realized that the rooms in the entire hotel are extremely small. With the standard desk, etc 2 adults and a child (12) had a difficult time getting by for 5 days. We had moved to a Hyatt for the back end of our 8 day trip and found the rooms considerably larger and more comfortable. I would visit this hotel again but must consider the Bungalow Rooms and the higher price point.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family