“A great getaway”

Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Los Angeles, California
“A great getaway”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife and I had an excellent getaway at the Fairmont, our first night away from the kids in a long time. It was just what we needed. The staff were great. The location is perfect -- even though we chose not to leave the hotel grounds, it's a great point from which to roam Santa Monica and the surrounding area. We had a drink by the pool and a superb dinner at the on-site Fig restaurant. Excellent bungalow accommodation. Great food. Great time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto
Reviewed July 1, 2013

During our mid-June Miramar stay (5th consecutive summer), it was as if my wife and I did not exist; the needs of the local 'young go-gos' community have been vaulted front-of-line.

The Miramar has a new product -- 'The Bungalow', a loud and 'brand-wrong' party club for local 20- and 30-somethings. Noise levels generated almost nightly challenge the stamina of its loyal customers.

Miramar -- who is your dedicated audience? Describe in 25 words.

FIG Restaurant, Lounge, Concierge and Valet staff were exceptional. Aloof Front Desk staff inconsistent. Booked and confirmed a Pallisades room for 2 nights, but staff re-assigned us to Ocean Tower ...'sorry, the room you requested is not available!' Complained about noise, but 'no other rooms' open.

Back home ...discovered that the hotel had placed two credit card holds reaching $4,000. Still waiting for the holds to be removed. No clear or written policy re this type of charge exists; however, was told 'everyone knows and expects that full payment will be taken upon arrival'. Most hotels charge $50-$100 per night for 'incidentals' only.

Corporate office (for Premier members) stated that each hotel practices its own policies. "There is no one to complain to."

Awaiting call-back from hotel rooms director.

The Miramar has forgotten how to be a good host. Perhaps some customer service therapy? Management must go under the microscope and be rendered self conscious enough to deliver exceptional service to customers. About The Bungalow? Why not sound proof, or silence, it?

When you don't get great service -- walk away. Make your own noise.

Bottom line ...will never return.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Ocean Tower facing Wilshire Blvd
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank CrazyABoutOpera
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Excellent hotel. Great pool area and very enjoyable to sit around and have cocktails.

Jillian at reception was fantastic and gave excellent service to us.

We arrived at the hotel with no bags due to airline issues. Even though our room was not ready they quickly sorted out a key to the spa locker room so we could have a shower.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband, myself and our 15 year old son stayed here in May 2013. The hotel was great as was our room. Location is good, views of the beach were perfect. Close to the Santa Monica pier (but not too close), close to third street promenade as well. Weather was excellent, so we enjoyed starting our vacation here!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sandy B
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying in one of the Bungalows at the Fairmont recently. The room was gorgeous. Quiet and comfortable, just a short distance from the pool, I felt like I had my own private hotel. The room was gorgeous, with beautiful furnishings. The grounds were wonderful, excellent pool with a brand new Bar on the deck where you can enjoy any type of drink you can think of and wonderful appetizers. The staff made you feel completely at home, went out of their way to make sure that I had everything I needed and was happy. They remembered my name when I came out front, and greeted me by name when I came back. The Exhale spa has an amazing staff and was a wonderful treat. Make sure to have a drink at the Bungalow and enjoy the Sunset. Make sure to eat at the Fig, best breakfast I have had in a long time.

Room Tip: Go for the Bungalow! No beating It.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jennifer R
Saugatuck, Michigan
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was our fifth time at the Fairmont Miramar and something just felt off. When we arrived on a Thursday afternoon there was only one valet parking attendant and no bell staff. We unloaded our bags from the trunk ourselves (fortunately only carry-on luggage) and entered the lobby without greeting or offer of assistance from anyone.
At check-in we were not recognized as President's Club members, nor as return guests. The front desk seemed to have a difficult time coming up with our room. I understand that we arrived early and that sometimes rooms are not available, but I had received a call two days prior from Fairmont asking if we had any special requests and what time we might be arriving - they were aware that we would be an early check in but did not apologize or recognize the fact. We were given the usual "your room isn't ready yet, give me your cell number and I'll call you when it is." We had to ask her to take our bags while we waited. We never got that call.
At 3:15 (almost 2 hours after we arrived) we checked back at the desk since check in is supposed to be 3:00, still no room. The gentleman we spoke with said he would get us into a room in just a few minutes and would call us. No call. We checked back at 4:00. There appeared to be several paper records of reservations laid out on the desk for people that must have been waiting, including ours. I was given the keys right away. No apologies.
We reserved a room in the tower, unfortunately it was on the south side. If you want a quiet experience, request the north side. The south side of the tower overlooks The Bungalow, a very energetic lounge that operates until 2 am. The buzz and music are constant from opening to close. The view of the Santa Monica pier almost makes up for it. The décor is becoming dated and our carpet was stained.
Also as of 6/24 the gym is in a temporary location (meeting rooms) due to an update.
Other inconsistencies involved erratic room servicing - every day something different. No washcloths, no hand towels, no coffee pods, one day a rug in the bathroom, the next none; no coffee cups. We had to call housekeeping three times for missing things, which is a first for me at any hotel.
Service at the lobby lounge was also spotty. We had to wait over 10 minutes to even get a menu on one occasion. The lounge seemed understaffed most of the time. On the other hand, Fig was exceptional for both food and service, as was room service. The Bungalow attracts a new demographic to the property - it's fun for cocktails, very crowded, a totally different vibe.
I don't know if there are a lot of new staff going through a learning curve, or if management was on vacation. It wasn't the usual wonderful experience that I have come to expect from Fairmont. We were disappointed.

Room Tip: Tower rooms have great ocean views. If you're on the south side you'll hear noise from The...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BeachGirl616
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at the Fairmont - amazing hotel! The service was excellent, dining experience at Fig wonderful and our room was beautiful. The location of the hotel is in an ideal spot on the north end of Santa Monica (the loveliest area). It is right across from the beach and walking distance to great shops and restaurants. They have a fantastic spa, wonderful dining, great views and exemplary service. I cannot say enough great things about this hotel and highly recommend!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple