“iPad was stolen out of my room!!!”

Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
New York City, New York
“iPad was stolen out of my room!!!”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is a 5 star hotel and I expect the service to be the same. I have been staying for 3 night so far and have to stay for 2 more. I got home today from the office to find my iPad which I had plugged in was GONE! I have never had anything stolen from a hotel room in my life and I travel all the time for work. The last place I would expect that to happen would be here!!! Risk Management came in and I haven't heard back from them in over 2 hours! I can't believe this, they told me there was nothing they could do! So now I get to go home without my $800 iPad that I came with. Don't stay here if you want to keep any of your valuables!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank JannaL9
Huntley Hotel S, Manager at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear JannaL9,

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear that your ipad is missing, but we do not have a Risk Management Department at our hotel. I've also checked all our Departments and we have not recieved any calls about anything missing. I see that you've also posted this comment on the Fairmont Miramar's TripAdvisor page. I just want to make sure this post was directed to the correct hotel. Will you kindly contact our Front Desk directly if we may assist you further. Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver BC Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Great location right off the main road that goes by the beach and a few blocks away from the trendy 3rd Street Promenade (Shopping). Hotel has a great pool and fitness room. The staff are typical Fairmont which in relates to great service. You wont be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I had read the reviews on this hotel before I booked it and a lot of the reviews were very favourable, albeit the problems with the nightclub noise. After my stay I got the feeling it was the best out of a bad bunch, I think Santa Monica is missing a true five star hotel. The excellent reviews don't seem to make sense to me.

The hotel is extremely over priced for what you get. We booked a luxury deluxe ocean view room. Still trying to work out what was deluxe about it? The view was out towards Mailbu, which I had requested because I was aware of the problems from the so called nightclub on the other side of the hotel. The room was very tired, full of useless furniture, limited on drawers and hanging space. The bathroom was also small, I think I could have cleaned my teeth in the basin whilst taking a shower. Unbelievably the door on the bathroom was a louvre door, just may as well not have had a door at all, it was ridiculous. Balcony also small, not really worth having. Could hear everything in the next room and on the corridors, desperate need of not only updating but also sound proofing. For £290 per night I thought value for money was extremely poor. On a positive the rooms were very clean and housekeeping excellent. Bed one of the most comfortable I've slept in.

Had breakfast in Fig most mornings but again very pricey. Didn't dine in Fig for evening meal it seems strange to me to serve breakfast in the same restaurant, different food, same place???
Staff were all friendly and efficient.

The hotel from the outside reminds me of a Spanish package holiday hotel. The pool area is just ok, limited on sunbeds and the pool is quite small. Various areas are quite shaded by the palm trees so bear this in mind when picking your sunbed. Its quite noisy because the hotel is close to the main road. The pool staff were very pleasant and provided good service.

I knew the beach was across the road but didn't realise it was at the bottom of a cliff. Well not quite a cliff but it felt like that. The sand is so think a leisurely walk was like treading treacle. All very clean, but the sea doesn't look very inviting. The pier, well don't bother, I've been to Southport and Blackpool, not much difference I'm afraid.

The location of the hotel is very good, near to shopping. Montana Avenue is also a great place for smaller shops, lovely cafes, it has an upmarket feel about it. Homelessness is a problem as other reviewers have mentioned but we didn't encounter any problems and felt safe throughout our stay.

I really would have liked to have reviewed this hotel much better, we stayed for five nights so the disappointment was at our expense. I have experienced much better destinations and far better hotels, for less.

Room Tip: I think anything less than a suite would have the same problems as I've mentioned in my review...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lanniespice
Miami
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This property is perfect in every way. The check in by Aaron was fast and easy. The rooms are boutique small but the furnishings, bedding, and bathroom are nicely appointed. The location is across the street from a wide sandy beach and one block from great stores and dining. Room service is timely and delicious. I loved their coffee. Enjoy both on the balcony gazing at the ocean.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
La Quinta, California
Reviewed May 7, 2013

One of the best hotels in Los Angeles, the Fairmont Miramar always delivers a fabulous experience. The newly remodeled suites are fabulous - 2 beautiful rooms with a view of the sunset over the ocean. We almost didn't want to leave our room, but the great food at their restaurant Fig drew us down for lovely evening. MY wife is a vegetarian and there were great options for her too! And the recently opened Bungalow Bar is a hip hang out! This is our go to hotel for meetings in LA and a relaxing beach experience!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Jackie K, Manager at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Cathlight,

We love this review as this is everything we strive to provide for our guest - Beautiful rooms, a great restaurant and a fun ambiance. We are so happy to hear that you had such a great time while staying at The Fairmont Miramar. I can definitely agree that it would be hard to leave the room with the beautiful ocean views, specially during the amazing sunsets we are lucky to have in Santa Monica. FIG's Chef Ray has a menu fit for every taste, being known for our seasonally sourced menu, it doesn't surprise me that we had many options for your wife to choose from. We are so happy that you will be returning for your future business trips and look forward to creating many more memorable experiences for you.

New York City, New York
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel is extremely welcoming and the location excellent. It's near to shopping ,the beach and restaurants. I couldn't have asked for more. The staff is very caring. We have come here several times and not been disappointed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Maureen T,

Thank you for being a repeat loyal guest of the Fairmont Miramar. We are happy to know that time and time again we can provide you with the excellent customer service we strive to provide and look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

San Diego, CA
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Lovely ambience right by the water. Fig Restaurant yummy. Deck with a partial ocean view. Not too noisy. Efficient staff. Bed sheets not Egyptian cotton, but pillows good. Easy overnight for business. And wi-fi was cheap. Wine in lobby bar has limited selection but decent enough for glasses...some a bit pricey. Kale salad yummy and light. Checkin efficient and provided a room away from the big celebrations. All-in, all good.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear upintheairmom,

Thank you for the review. I am sure as a business traveller you get the opportunity to stay at many different places and have a very good idea of what you are looking for. It is great to know we were able to provide you with comfortable accommodations. We love that we can cater to the business traveler as well as the leisure traveler looking to get away. FIG is definitely a restaurant we are very proud of and glad you were able to enjoy. We hope we can accomodate you on your next trip wether it be leisure or business. Thank you again we very much appreciate the review.