“Best Weekend getaway!”

Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This past weekend was memorable and can't say thank you enough to the friendly staff at Fairmont Miramar Hotel in Santa Monica. It was an absolutely amazing stay-cation and birthday weekend for my boyfriend. The staff was amazing, from check-in to check-out, they were all super nice and helpful. They immediately wished him a happy bday at check in, the wine and dessert in our room was awesome and we absolutely fell in love with our bungalow which had its own patio. Seriously we didn't want to leave.

We had a blast at the Bungalow Saturday night, the lounge at the hotel. Boy is that place popular!! Line was around the building at 8pm!! The door man was very helpful and we got in without waiting since we were staying at the hotel though some friends waited an hour to get in and still had a great time. So fun and great vibe. Breakfast at the Fig was amazing; fresh from the farmers market and they only serve what's in season and grown in Cali.

Room Tip: We LOVED our bungalow near the pool and it had its own private patio! Gorgeous!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackie K, Manager at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear vida r,

Thank you for your feedback! It is lovely to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and your weekend getaway for your boyfriends birthday. We hope to be the destination of your next staycation soon :)

Guest Relations

Write a ReviewReviews (2,407)

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Being a Fairmont member for some time, I had an upgrade which I redeemed there. We arrived on time and the room was not quite ready, so they treated us to whatever we wanted in the lobby bar and restaurant. Had a lovely tomato soup and glass of rose. Barely waiting for 10 minutes they brought our key and we set off to our suite.....as we passed through the halls, noticed a room getting a lovely plate of Macaroons. My kids were drooling and so happy that a few minutes later the door rang and we were also treated to a spectacular plate of sweets, fruit and macaroons. (Our lovely concierge had sent it up)
The room was on the 5th floor at the end of the older section, but facing the garden and pool and set back from the main ocean road. It was quiet, big, comfortable and perfect for us. They had also remembered to send up a cot for one of my children.
We swam in the pool and loved the salt water!! I had fish tacos pool side and a Mojito made from the adjoining restaurant. We all enjoyed FIG the restaurant especially my son who had the meat loaf made from short ribs. Yum!
Even with the cleaning of the gargantuan baobab tree in the courtyard disturbing the valet service, the hotel staff sorted it out and acted with aplomb.(though $33 /day plus $3.60 taxes for car parking is a bit steep)
I would stay there again because they are so gracious and the location is perfect.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Each and every time I travel to Los Angeles for business, I am willing to stay just outside in Santa Monica because the wonderful accomodations that the Miramar provides. The location in Santa Monica doesnt get better then this. The rooms are are extremely clean and comfortable. But most of all, the service is Five Star all th way. Recently, I accidently left a bag in my room after checking out and they were able to not only recover it but take care of sending it back to me. Its hard to find this kind of hospitality these days. I would whole-heartedly recommend to anyone staying in the area to consider staying here. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed for four days and loved every minute. First, the location is perfect. You can walk to 3rd Street Promenade and dozens of restaurants and shops. There is also a Whole Foods three blocks away on Wilshire. Across Ocean Ave. is the Palisades park a beautiful area for running/walking. It is approximately 2 miles round trip and you have views of Pacific Ocean. The hotel is more intimate and homey than I expected. The room we had was small but had a nice balcony and a view of the ocean. The rooms are very quiet and the beds are really comfortable. The rooms are spotless and it is the little extras that really make a difference here. They offer complimentary Nespresso machines and coffee and also water bottles. The linens and towels are top quality and there are robes. The staff was exceptional. Friendly and welcoming and genuinely interested in helping you. The pool area is very tropical feeling and pleasant to relax in. It feels like old time Santa Monica rather than a big modern resort which we liked. The dining options are fantastic. The lobby lounge is very comfortable and we ate at Fig twice. The breakfast was really good with a lot of healthy options. Overall, the location and comfortable feel of the hotel make it a perfect choice in LA.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tamcarol
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Miramar is one of those classic Fairmont properties: not 5 stars but a high end 4.5 star property with excellent service and amenities. Pros: (1) great location along Ocean Boulevard, above the cliffs overlooking Santa Monica beach, and a short walk to the pier, 3rd Street shops and great restaurants -- no need for a car; (2) bungalows (where we stayed) are gorgeous -- beds supremely comfortable; right by the lovely pool; (3) Fig restaurant is one of the city's finest, and it overlooks the pool; (4) spa/fitness is included in hotel rate; (5) hotel has Mercedes sedan available for free shuttling around city -- use it! Cons: (1) hotel is a tad run down in appearance; (2) main tower is likewise a bit dated; (3) if you want direct access to beach, there are better options. Overall: a lovely experience.

Room Tip: Attempt a bungalows upgrade! Avoid the old building unless ocean facing on higher floor. All main t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChicagoLawyer1
Jackie K, Manager at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear ChicagoLawyer1,

I am sorry to hear that the weather was not the best during your stay. Hopefully it will be warming up soon and you can take another trip to enjoy the sunny weather California usually has to offer.

Thank you for all the great reviews of the hotel It sounds like you had a great experience and we are glad we could be part of that. The house car is a great service in the hotel. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of that service. We will make sure to let the Bellmen and
Valet know how appreciative you were of their efforts.

We hope that next time you stay in Santa Monica you will stay with us and hopefully it will be nice sunny weather.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is one of my all time favourite hotels. It has an amazing laid back, relaxed but exciting and glamourous aura. I have stayed here 3 times and never been disappointed. The last stay, April 9th 2013, I had flown in from Australia and they allowed me, after a preliminary email, an early check in, and perfectly accomodated my request for a quiet ocean view room on a high floor. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The room was not huge but had an amazing view of the Santa Monica Pier, Ferris Wheel and Roller Coaster. The amenities in the room were perfect. A fruit platter with the world's freshest mandarines was on the table at no charge. The bed was super comfortable. My only suggestion would be to have a spare blanket in the room, just in case, as the night i stayed was chilly. I had breakfast included in my rate, and it was superb, and no one questioned what or how much I ordered. I cannot think of a better location, near the beach, and next to the 3rd street shopping mall, where anything you need can be found.
i will be coming back there any time im in LA. Just a note to Australians or overseas guests, the tariff quoted does not include a significant room tax, so you might check what your total will be, as it will be significantly higher than expected. This obtains to most American hotels.

Room Tip: ask for an ocean front room on a high floor away from the lift. i had room 1031 which had a great v...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Dear Anky14,

We are so pleased to hear you had such an amazing experience. Reading reviews like yours is what makes our jobs so enjoyable, knowing that we can make our guest’s vacation so memorable.
We love your comment about the Fairmont Miramar as you say “laid back, relaxed but exciting and glamorous aura” I agree and pride ourselves in being a luxury hotel but still having that relaxing beach atmosphere.
I am very happy our staff was able to accommodate your early check in request along with the ocean view room on the high floor. With our prime location the views from most of the rooms can be stunning, from the Pier to the beach and on clear sunny days the amazing Malibu cliffs.

We hope to see you next time you visit Santa Monica.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed here while in transit from Australia to Ottawa. I was supposed to have an 11AM check in (because of my Presidents Club Platinum membership) but the room was not ready at check in. Thankfully, I was with a friend from LA and we went for lunch at Fig. They called us close to 2PM to let me know that the room was ready. They advised that I had been upgraded to a bungalow and then when they gave me the key, they said "sorry.. it is actually a king suite". I dont know if the suite is better than the bungalow but I kind of liked the idea of the bungalow! In any event, I was perfectly fine with the king suite. The staff at the property are all very friendly and I have no complaints. One odd thing though, is the in room hotel information lists the lobby lounge as being open at 6AM and when I went down the following morning at 6AM, I was told that they do not open until 7. There was free coffee that you could take and the staff member who was on duty said they would check with the kitchen to see what was available "pre-opening" I managed to secure a bagel and some granola so it was fine...

All in all, it was a nice short stay. Would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo