“Queen for a Day”

Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I won a stay at this hotel in a travel writing contest. So, the bungalow was comped. But i felt like I was treated royally just the same. I'd had trouble convincing my husband that we should travel the 2.8 miles from our home for a 12 hour stay, but as soon as we arrived in the cozy bungalow (by which I mean cozy, not small) we knew it would be great. The sheets, pillows, comforters are far superior to what we have at home. Our journey began. It was a Sunday, so we picked up our complimentary Sunday New York Times at the front desk and relaxed with it awaiting sunset. The hotel is right across the street from the beautiful Santa Monica Palisades Bluff where there are walking paths on the bluffs above the Pacific. We watched the sunset over the ocean and did some people watching along the bluffs. We contemplated having dinner in one of the world famous restaurants along Ocean Ave, but wanting to maximize our hotel experience, we decided to go back to the room for room service. Dan ordered the Reuben and I had the chicken pesto sandwich. i loved my sandwich, but his was the best Reuben I've ever tasted. Everything was perfect.
In the morning, we had breakfast at Fig's and it was divine. Dan had the zuchini muffin which was decadent, but still allowed us to feel virtuous and I had eggs and toast. Sometimes simple is best. Don't leave there without trying the jam. Wonderful. And I love it when they give you a coffee pot to keep at the table so you don't have to wait for the wait staff to come around at just the moment you need more coffee.
Overall, everything was top notch. Service was quick, friendly and thoughtful. I wouldn't ordinarily stay at a hotel so close to home, but I just might do it again it was so nice.

PLUS:
great location
really nice bar outside (not part of hotel though)
modern updated rooms
not a complete ripoff
amazing room service menu

MINUS:
they could really get guests of hotel front of line pass to bar
pool is too shady, too many trees, not enough chairs

Still a great place to stay.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was my first stay at the Fairmont Miramar. I have to say it is my new "go to" hotel while in the LA area. The location could not be better for everything. Santa Monica is one of my favorite place on earth so my expectations were high anyway. Every aspect of our stay was wonderful. Had the MOST amazing views of the ocean and the Santa Monica Pier. Walked all over Santa Monica with ease. Close proximity to BH and Hollywood. The toiletires that Fairmont uses are the BEST of any hotel out there. Very high end. Loved this place, cannot wait to go back.
I LOVE the fig tree. It is spectacular.

Room Tip: rooms facing the pier give a breathtaking view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Jackie K, Manager at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Dear Shelley R,

We are so happy to hear you chose the Fairmont Miramar for your visit to Santa Monica. I am sure as this is one of your favorite places to stay you had many other options, and are so please to hear that we will now be your new “go to” hotel in LA.

We do pride ourselves in having prime location in Santa Monica as well as having the largest inventory of ocean facing guest rooms in Los Angeles. I am so glad you also share our love for our breathtaking 80 foot Fig Tree making it the second largest tree of its kind in California.
In case you would like to have our wonderful toiletries in your home they are provided by Le Labo, a company that freshly hand manufactures high-end fragrances composed by some of the world's best perfumers.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Santa Monica.

Sincere Regards,
Jackie Kerns
Guest Relations
jacqueline.kerns@fairmont.com

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I escaped the cold winter snows of the midwest to the mild and sunny weather of Santa Monica recently and had our first experience at the Fairmont Miramar- Santa Monica. It was delightful and so relaxing with a traditional and classy persona! From the valet attendants to the room service, we had a first rate experience. As it is a more historic type property, the suite bathrooms are a bit smaller, but the quality is high and the suite interiors are elegant with an "Old Hollywood" feel. We appreciated the smiles and greetings of the staff at every turn and the truly convenient location near downtown Santa Monica, the beach and the pier! The only negative experience we had while there was our breakfast service. We waited a very long time to be served and with no apology for the delay, thus we assumed that there was no manager on duty in the restaurant and perhaps they were understaffed for some reason? Unfortunately the "male" waiter was also slow in getting back with us during our meal and with the check. As this was our final day, this was on our minds as we left, but truly think this was "a unique situation" and definitely not typical of the rest of the staff. We would definitely stay at the Miramar again and we know we made the right choice on this particular trip!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms choices are views toward the pier or views up towards Malibu- both are spectacular.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I just finished my weekend "stay-cation" at the lovely Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows in Santa Monica. WOW - the property is simply gorgeous and the staff members are warm, gracious and keen on white glove service. We stayed in one of the newly renovated Palisades Suites - and loved the style-touches and incredibly comfortable bed! The Bungalow nightclub is a great new addition - wish I could decorate my own home to this cool beachy-chic style! FIG is amazing, Chef Garcia is a great farm-to-table innovator - Breakfasts are great. Being right on Ocean Blvd - everything is in walking distance - park your car and forget about driving for the weekend - enjoy the Pier, 3rd Street Promenade and living the California lifestyle. Exhale Spa has good therapists, but the Spa facilities could use a size upgrade and a bit more privacy in the locker rooms and waiting area - but had a great massage!

Room Tip: I have previously stayed in one of the Bungalows - love the Bungalows! This stay I was in West faci...
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We booked the Miramar after reading the glowing reviews on Trip Advisor. The room was nice with a view of the ocean but the staff was unacceptable. We did arrive early and were told to check back. After a nice lunch at Figs, we were told still no room. We had left Boston in a blizzard and really needed to change for warm weather, This went on for 4 hours, if only someone had been up front- we could have changed in a bathroom. We did not get into our room until 5pm (after 4 check in)We had signed up for passes to the Santa Monica Pier for the rides. We were given expired tickets and had to walkback to the hotel with a disappointed 11 year old. The staff clearly did not care that they were taking our precious vacation time and did not lift a finger o help. I will not book Fairmont hotels again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Bayarddog
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This was our 3rd stay at the Fairmont Miramar and once again, it exceeded our expectations.
Service: The service was impeccable from the moment we arrived. All of the staff were extremely professional and approachable at all times.
Location: The location is superb as it is close to Santa Monica Pier, the promenade and lots of restaurants - all within walking distance. The hotel faces the ocean and the views are spectacular.
Overall: This was a very memorable stay and we highly recommend it.
Hopefully we will be back soon!

1  Thank Al1905