“Southern California Style... Right By The Beach”

Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Williamstown, Massachusetts
“Southern California Style... Right By The Beach”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Fairmont in Santa Monica is a big, beautiful hotel with a range of room styles and sizes, a terrific poolside restaurant and an excellent location right by the beach and close to Santa Monica's shopping and fun. We like the bugalows the best-- nestled in the garden, close to the pool, it feels like a low-rise neighborhood.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TCWilliamstown
Jackie K, Director of Operations at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Overland- Summers,

Thank you very much for the kind words! With so many different sizes and styles of accommodation we like to think we can find something for everyone and I’m glad to hear you enjoy the unique experience that is the Bungalows.

Kind Regards,

Matthew Lehman
matthew.lehman@fairmont.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed here for business for three nights in mid October. The check-in process was smooth and I found the staff to be very friendly and engaging. The hotel is located right next to the beach, pier and the 3rd Street Promenade so you can't beat the location. I did use the pool once and it was very nice. The gym has a small selection of nautilus machines and free weights. All of the equipment was clean and well maintained. There are also yoga classes offered! The gym offers complimentary water & cucumber (obviously a California thing) & Gatorade.

My room was of decent size as was the bathroom. The bed was comfortable and there is an in room temperature control. There was also a good sized desk to work on as well as a safe that can accommodate a computer with a 17 inch screen.

I didn't try the restaurant (Fig), bike rental, or use the valet service.

I did experience some trouble with the wireless internet cutting in and out. At one point I had to call their 1-800 support number to get my connection problem resolved. To top it all off I had to pay extra for high speed internet.

The hotel looks ideal for those looking for a Santa Monica getaway. My wife would definitely like it.

Overall as a business traveler I found the service and staff to be very helpful. If I visit the same client again I will very likely stay at the Fairmount Miramar.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Magnum55
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed here last week for a conference.Great location and ambience. Close to the boutique shops and restaurants and also the pier.
I stayed on the 9th floor with a nice view of the beach, but the pick would be the bungalows. Spacious and airy, near the pool and bars.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Go for the ground floor bungalows as a treat.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is a great location for Santa Monica, within walking distance to almost all Santa Monica attractions, such as the beach of course, but also the Third St Promenade, several of the better known restaurants on Ocean Ave, and others including the Pier. The Ocean Tower building has wonderful views of either the Pier on one side or the beach leading up the coast toward Malibu on the other. But there is only so much they could do with the rooms, since the property is older. In particular, for this price range ( we paid mid to high $300s), the bathrooms are very small. The hotel staff were fine, although the lobby lounge restaurant need extra help during lunch hours. That was an annoyance. The concierge staff were very helpful. I have stayed at several hotels in Santa Monica and would go back here because of the location and the views from the Ocean Tower, but for this price point we expected a bit more. It also seems as if the walls were paper thin - I could hear other people using their plumbing frequently during the night, which was an irritant. If I were travelling on business and the room rates were the same, I might be tempted to stay at the Loews, which also has some excellent views, with larger rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for the Ocean Tower facing south/east for a view of the Pier at night.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The property in a great location. We loved the grounds and were surprised by an amazing, very large, very old tree out in front of the hotel.

While checking in, the service was some of the best you will ever encounter at any hotel. The lady who helped us was great! She was very patient, and walked around the counter to first give my daughter a surprise then walked around the counter again to hand me the room keys. She explained all of the amenities the hotel offered.

Our room was incredible! The patio overlooked the beach/ocean as well as the pier. The beds were super comfortable and the TV was adequately sized for the room. Be sure to sign up for their hotel program to get free wireless internet!

Everyone who worked there was super helpful and very friendly. Of all the hotels I have ever stayed at this was definitely one of the nicest. I look forward to coming back again soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Lake George, New York
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Lovely hotel in a prime location with good (not excellent) staff. Valet staff was exceptional, they run to get your car, a cab, a helmet for your bike. Complimentary bike rental a really nice perk as its so close to the ocean front bike path, which is fab. It was expensive but better than you usually get in this price range. A lot of its charm is its location and well tended grounds. I will definitely return.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Jackie K, Director of Operations at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Anabanana74,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Fairmont Miramar! We are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay and I will personally let the valet staff know you were appreciative of their efforts.

Should your travels bring you back to Fairmont Miramar, please let me know and I will gladly assist in making your reservation.

Sincere Regards,
Matthew Lehman
Director of Operations
matthew,lehman@fairmont.com
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 18, 2012

It had been a few years since I had stayed at this property but I was happy to finally get back. You can't really go wrong with a Fairmont property. It's pricey but worth it. My girlfriend and I had a great long weekend and I can't wait to get back with my husband.

PROs
Service - simply the best. The staffed remembered us from check-in and acknowledged us throughout our trip when they saw us. I can't say enough about how great the staff was.
Location - great access to the Promenade for shopping and dining. Short walk to the beach.
Food - the food was so good. They had great healthy and delicioius options. Eat at FIG!
Ambience - decor is nice, clean, inviting - feels like vacation as soon as you drive onto the property.

CONs
Noise - they have a new club called "Bungalow" and it is noisey. We were on a higher floor but we could still hear the music blaring until 2am. Earplugs didn't even help. But, the staff did move us to the north side of the property the second day when we complained.
Ocean view not as expected - when I booked the room I paid more for an "ocean view" but it was really more of a partial ocean view. There was no view from the room unless you stood in the corner by the sliding door. The view was from the balcony - at an angle from the room itself. I'm not sure what a "partial ocean view" room would have been.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side avoid the noise from Bungalow
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Jackie K, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Susan O,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your Girlfriend Get-Away stay at Fairmont Miramar. We are excited to know that you enjoyed your time with us!

Our team prides itself in working towards exceptional service and quality in all aspects of the guest experience. We do apologize for the noise that you heard. We are working to remedy this issue. In fact, we recently finished the interior of The Bungalow which allows guests to mingle inside the structure rather than just outside on the deck. This has aided in decreasing the amount of noise.

As for your dining experience, we are happy tp hear you enjoyed dining at FIG! Chef Ray and his team at FIG source the freshest local ingredients from farms located in and around the LA region.

Should you decide to return to Fairmont Miramar with your husband, please let me know and I will be happy to assist in booking your reservation!

Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you again.

Kind Regards,