“In the heart of Santa Monica”

Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Marina del Rey
“In the heart of Santa Monica”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We are local but stayed here for my husband's birthday after having a decadent dinner party in the private room at Fig Restaurant (which is in the hotel). This is a beautiful and surprisingly quiet hotel (thanks to the extensive grounds) in the heart of Santa Monica. It's one block to the 3rd Street Promenade, which is full of restaurants, shops and movie theaters, and across the street from the grassy area above Pacific Coast Highway (which has walkways over the highway to the beach, jogging paths, picnic tables and more). It's an easy walk to Santa Monica Pier. The hotel is very child- and dog-friendly with a great pool, hot tub, spa, barber shop, lobby and gym (and Exhale mind/body classes available too) making it a great homebase for a family trip to LA, or a romantic getaway or a trip with friends. The bungalows are nice and ground-level -- like your own little house -- and the rooms in the tower (the new or historic one) have some great ocean views and balconies. Use the Am Ex Platinum card for great rates and a noon check-in, 4pm check out, free breakfast, $100 spa credit and room upgrade if available! Even for one-night it's a great getaway.

Room Tip: The bungalows are nice and ground-level -- like your own little house, some have patios -- and we we...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jackie K, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Cindy O,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments.

We hope your husband enjoyed his birthday party at FIG! We love that you made your night a "stay-cation" and chose to spend the evening in a bungalow guestroom.

Should you ever need another overnight escape, please let me know and I would be happy to assist with your reservation.

Kind Regards,

Jackie Kerns
jacqueline.kerns@fairmont.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Calgary
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We spent one night in early October at the Fairmont Miramar and it was just OK. Disappointed though that the rooms have old decor and need updating, or perhaps that's the style they want to have. Also Fig restaurant in the hotel is closed for dinner Sunday and Monday. Staff were pleasant and helpful, though they lacked knowledge to help us a lot. We borrowed the bicycles from the hotel (complimentary) and had a nice ride along the shoreline to Venice Beach and back. The patio was lively and full at cocktail hour so we came back and enjoyed a drink in the quiet ambiance after dinner. There is a lively bar in the bungalow near the front entrance that we stumbled upon - nobody on staff mentioned it when we asked what were our options for a drink. It's definitely worth checking out --- great scene. Also, across the street, the Huntley Penthouse restaurant has fantastic food with a great view of the beach and surroundings - I highly recommend that you go up for lunch, dinner or a cocktail.

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner suite in the Palisades building and it seemed "dated". Did not chec...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dw104
Encinitas, California, United States
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I came here for a bachelorette weekend getaway, woo-hoo! Just kidding, most of us are in our late 20's slash early 30's, it wasn't that kind of party. But the Fairmont provided us a nice balance between the Santa Monica scene and classic so-cal.

The hotel was overall very nice and classy. It's conveniently located right in the heart of Santa Monica, steps away from the pier, the beach, outdoor mall and restaurants. The rooms were spacious and comfortable and not super modernized but I liked the vintage feel. The entrance and lobby is beautiful. The pool area is clean and tranquil, yet relatively small.

The reason for 4 stars and not 5 is because it's not the nicest hotel I've stayed at and I expected more for the price and location. Also the downstairs bar/club Bungalow was disappointing. It was so crowded, overpriced and way too L.A., hence: "look at me". This place is the reason why I live in San Diego.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This is a lovely hotel in a great location. When booking, it is worthwhile asking if there are any major functions taking place while you are there (eg weddings etc) because these can restrict your access to some of the hotel facilities.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Ocean tower, but at the opposite end to the Bungalow Bar, which can be a littl...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Parkville, Missouri
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I love staying here when I'm in the area on business. I recently returned from a trip to discover that I had left some of my clothes behind in the dresser drawer. I called the hotel and they offered to ship the items back to me for no charge. How delightful! Nothing I left behind was worth a lot, but the inconvenience of replacing it would have been a hassle. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. You definitely pay more for this hotel, but they go the extra mile to make sure you have a great stay. The rooms are small, but well furnished and very comfortable. The in-room espresso maker was a treat.

Room Tip: I paid $50 extra for ocean view. Well worth it if you live in the midwest.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hampshire
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I wish I had believed the other poor reviews and not paid to stay in this hotel. The hotel would be ok if it was ranked as 3 stars and had 3 star prices. I expected a plush 5 star hotel for the price. However rooms are small and dated, dreadful shutter doors on the bathrooms that won't close without a struggle & tatty old balconies in need of paint and cleaning.The pool is small & at the weekend full of outside people, with crowds of young people all sat drinking around the sides leaving no loungers at all for the guests & non existent bar service.

In the evening we fund that you couldn't sit in the hotel bar as it was full of groups waiting to go into the noisy night club. Very annoying as we had paid for the supposed ambience of the hotel but couldn't sit and have a drink before or after dinner.

The beach club is an absolute joke! It absolutely isn't a club and if you have ever been to the 5 star hotels in places like Nice and so think a beach club is somewhere with luxurious loungers, showers, restaurant etc when you get to the fairmont beach club you will be very disappointed. it isn't in fact a Club but just old chairs on the beach that they pay the rental on from one of the bars. The description of a beach club is the most misleading statement I have ever seen by a 5 star hotel that I have stayed in anywhere.

If I had paid 3 star prices and been expecting a 3 star hotel then I would probably have been ok with it. As it is I would suggest you save your money and go and stay in the Holiday inn or somewhere similar where you can probably get a seat by the pool, a drink in the bar and a quiet nights sleep.

Overall we paid a lot of money for a small dated hotel room. we couldn't get a seat by the pool and couldn't get on the bar and there is no beach "club"

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank tripersareus
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed here during the Rose Bowl and over New Years Eve. The rooms were luxurious and the service at the hotel was good. Our room was not ready when we arrived, and for some reason it took hours for it to become available, despite the short time estimations given by the front dest man. He made sure that anything we ate or drank in the hotel lobby bar was taken care of, which we appreciated.

The huge tree in the main drive of the hotel is so beautiful, and our room had a lovely ocean view. Only two cons: the room was a little bit small and the bathroom door was made of wood slats instead of solid wood. I was staying in the room with my sister, so it didn't matter, but if bathroom privacy is more important to you, you may want to consider a different place.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family