“Wonderfull Hotel”

Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Wonderfull Hotel”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed here for 8 nights in September. The hotel itself is not new but has an air of quality about it if that makes any sense. The place is immaculate.
We were greeted at the entrance and our bags taken to the room. The car was parked by the valet staff and we were shown to the reception. The check in must be the most professional, courteous and efficient I have ever experienced. Unfortunatley I did not note the name of the young lady but she was fantastic.
We were shown to our room in the Ocean Tower, which was on the very end of the block overlooking the ocean, with Malibu to the right and the Pier to the left. We thought it would be noisy with the road outside but that was not the case, when the balcony door was closed at night we could hear nothing. The balcony was large with the sun from about 2pm,ish. Shortly after arriving in the room we were greeted with a plate of fresh chilled fruit, a very nice touch.
The room although small was an big enough for the two or us. It was quite old fasioned but very clean with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was also small but very nice and the toiletries were excellent.
We spent a lot of time around the pool which is in a lovely location within the beautifull grounds. Although it is small with about 30 sunbeds we always managed to get a good spot. The pool service is very good with a decent snack menu available.
We ate several times in the lobby bar where the food is of good quality and the service good.
The hotel is located on top of the cliffs overlooking the ocean, 3rd Street Promenade is just a couple of blocks away or 5/10 mins walk, with plenty of shops and places to eat. Santa Monica Pier is a good 20 mins stroll along the top of the cliffs.
All of the staff we passed/met greeted us and were very helpfull and courteous indeed. I can certainly reccomend this hotel. We will be back.

2 Thank FlyingDutchman83

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Calgary
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the hotel with our two boys, a 1-year old and a 3-years old, over Labour day weekend.
Pros: They greeted us nicely by providing our children with a welcome gift and had decorated the bathroom by spelling out their names with sponges. They had prepared the room with a crib, fridge, bottle warmer and diaper genie (something we have never received in our many other hotel stays). The room wasn't ready upon arrival and they offered us complimentary drinks and food at the hotel lobby. Staff was friendly. Location was perfect if you like to walk.
Cons: This is MAJOR! We requested an ocean view room which we received. Ahem. The room faced the "lounge" bar as well which is in the parking lot of the hotel. We could hear rock music until 2 AM even though we were on the 7th floor and the patio doors were closed. I'm sure this is a complaint they hear often yet they continue to place families on that side of the hotel, have not changed their windows to thicker noise proof options...Regardless I tried to ignore it the first night, the second night I requested ear plugs and then decided to go down to the lobby at 1:45 am to request a room change for the following day. I was offered free breakfast the following day which was nice but I was so tired that it was a waste. It turns out a "3rd party" runs the club and it is very popular with 21 years olds, none of which are hotel guests...My point is, when I stay at a Fairmont I want to sleep and do not want to hear Guns 'N Roses at 1:30am! I too liked it when I was 21 but when I was 21 I wasn't paying to sleep at the Fairmont!

Room Tip: Stay on the side of the hotel opposite the parking lot and club.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rensky2
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a week's stay at the Fairmont Miramar in Santa Monica to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary and the Fairmont staff made this one of our most memorable holidays ever. We are seasoned travellers who have stayed in many 5 star hotels both all over America & Europe and did plenty of research on hotels in the area before we settled on the Fairmont. We always contact a hotel direct first to see if they can beat the price of a travel agent doing a package deal or if we can find something cheaper via hotel comparison websites. In this case Fairmont reservations quoted an excellent nightly rate that undercut everyone else and they were more than happy to throw in a complimentary fridge & coffee maker at our request. When we mentioned it was our anniversary they said they would leave complimentary champagne , fruit & chocolate in our room which they did! We had specifically requested a quiet room to ensure we had a decent nights rest as I am a very light sleeper and my husband's job is very stressful so I needed to ensure we got peace & quiet during our stay. This was top of our priority list so when we began reading reviews about the newly opened "bungalow" night club alarm bells started to ring. We contacted the hotel and were assured we were in a north facing room on the 9th floor at the end of the corridor facing the beach( room 940). We needn't have worried, we never slept so well and woke up each morning feeling fully refreshed. What I would say is that if peace & quiet is what you want be very careful about what room you book as although the bungalows look nice in the grounds, the majority are either near the bar, restaurant or pool and will all hear the street noise.
The concierge helped us arrange trips & the staff in the fig restaurant were amazing, when my husband asked what they meant by a "cream cracker" on his olive oil cake they "googled" it ( the american definition is totally different to our interpretation of a cracker) which to me was over and above the service required! It is a small hotel compared to some in the vicinity but we liked this as the service was more attentive, very professional and we never had to stand in any queue to be served. If you want modern, large, art deco hotels, this isn't the place for you, but if you want quality, traditional furnishings and excelent location then I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a high floor in the tower north facing overloking the beach for the quietest rooms.
1 Thank jill t
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 22, 2012

5 star service and facilities for a very fair price. The room was extremely comfortable, quiet and the gym was great. They had free bikes which we rode along the beach to Venice. The breakfast was great and and served in a beautiful setting. This was my favorite hotel during our California trip and we stayed in several that were more expensive.

1 Thank Flinn N
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed at the Fairmont Miramar while driving up the PCH. It has a beautiful entrance and lobby area - but it is not on the beach. It is across a busy street and down a huge hill and across the PCH - and then you are on the beach. This was not clear to me until we arrived. It is a short walk to the Santa Monica Pier - which is a fun activity for the kids - but is extremely crowded on the weekends. We stayed in a one bedroom suite - great furnishings - but a very small bathroom.

Room Tip: We heard street noise all night - ask for a room that is high up.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This is the third time we've returned to this property and we've grown to really appreciate the location (right off of Ocean Avenue) and ambiance of the property. Am a member of the Fairmont President's Club so have complimentary wifi and access to the gym.

The original Miramar was a low rise property and the older wing where we are staying has large, high ceiling rooms with a separate bedroom from the living area. Service has been very attentive, even with several large functions going on over the past two days. The Space Shuttle Endeavor flew over Santa Monica this morning and the hotel arranged a roof top viewing of this once-in-a-lifetime sight. Classy.

Restaurant Fig serves casual, locally sourced meals and is reasonable, considering the surroundings. We'll be back.

West Hartford, CT
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We love the Fairmont Hotels and are always touched by the staff who make the experience stand out for us. Sallie at the front desk could not have been warmer. My husband and I were on a visit to celebrate our15th anniversary. I went to the concierge desk for some suggestions on what to do: Sheri, the concierge was so remakably kind, helpful and truly made us feel special. . Sheri litterally mapped out a special day for us that we will never forget. It included a convertible mustang car rental, cocktails at "Fig" which was as fabulous as Sheri said would be, and dinner in Malibu plus one or two surprises. When we returned to our room Sheri surprised us with fruit, cheese and some bubbly - that was above and beyond the call of duty. The next day when we left, Sheri noticed us checking out she gave us the warmest smile, my husband and I went over to thank her. Sheri promised us when we return next year to let her know so she could plan and surprise us with a "Spectacularly Sixteen Year" celebration. We plan to take her up on that.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple