“Turning moments into memories indeed!”

Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Toronto
“Turning moments into memories indeed!”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

My wife and I recently enjoyed our fourth consecutive, annual summer stay at the legendary Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows. The incredibly friendly staff, unsurpassed food at FIG restaurant, Beach Club -- complimentary Santa Monica State Beach lounge chairs, umbrella, enthusiastic 'butlers' and luxury shuttle -- and beautiful pallisades suite made it very hard to return home. In fact, you feel like quitting your job and becoming a permanent Miramar resident. Upon checking-in, you'll see the Fairmont brand promise prominently displayed: 'turning moments into memories.' The Miramar delivers on this promise in every possible way.

Room Tip: Choose a pallisades room!
1 Thank CrazyABoutOpera

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Santa Monica was the last stop for us on a two week vacation. Unfortunately the hotel we booked (Oceana) had a problem and therefore weren't able to honor our stay there. That was annoying enough but the manager on duty never even bothered to come out himself and apologize or try to be helpful. The Fairmont Miramar was one of our options to switch to so this is what we decided to do.

When we arrived there a few minutes later it's completely understandable that they were not completely ready for us. They were close to capacity and clearly did not need to accommodate us since we had not originally booked there. They were however extremely kind and the manager himself (Aaron Peaslee) came out to understand our situation and make sure we were taken care of there. He did everything to make us happy and make sure our vacation ended on a high note. I highly recommend the Fairmont not only for location and quality but above all for their service! Also the bed was amazing!! I will definitely be staying here again on my next trip!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Director of Sales at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback! We are very happy you had such a lovely time at our hotel. I will be sure to share your comments with Aaron and his team as well.
With regards,
Kevin Kim
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Our favourite hotel of our trip to Southern California. The location, the atmosphere, the price, the service, and the spa especially were mint.

1 Thank Steve B
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

This Hotel was amazing. Great location, and the restaurants were fabulous. Upgrade to a Bungalow Suite.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed June 30, 2012

good hotel. small rooms but exellent views fro/ balcony. breakfast subpar. bar area always lively afternoon and night. very good concierge. but charging 5 dollars for regular internet and 15 dollars for faster Internet is ridiculous and outdated. no parking at hotel. must be valet at a charge of 33 dollars a night.

• Stayed June 2012
Naples, Florida
Reviewed June 30, 2012

As former Santa Monica residents, we chose this hotel based on it's location. Literally across the street from palisades park, 3rd street promenade, farmers market and many restaurants. If your goal on vacation is to be ON the beach, then you may want Shutters or Casa del Mar. But if you want to be in the middle of the best Santa Monica has to offer, then you can't beat it. Also service excellent without being snobby, great hotel for our kids.

Room Tip: Sign up at Front desk for the fairmont presidents club to get free wi-fi
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Gold143
New York
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I went to LA for a business trip in June and I opted to try a new hotel this time. I had heard mixed things about Fairmont in the past, but recently a colleague encouraged me to give it a try. It looked pretty good online, so I gave it a shot.

First off, the location is superb: right on Ocean and Wilshire and in the midst of great shopping and across the street from the beach. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful--I was especially struck by the entrance and lobby of the property. Front desk staff was cordial and efficient, and I was thrilled when they upgraded me to a fifth floor room with a balcony AND ocean views. The room itself was quite small, but I was ultimately okay with that because I had my own private terrace with an accompanying sea breeze (ahhhhh!). I found some of the furniture to be slightly worn in places, but in general everything was of a decent quality and quite comfortable. It'll be time to remodel the rooms in a year or two, but for now they are just fine. The comfort of the bed and luxurious bed linens were superb, and the shower had strong water pressure (I'm a stickler for both of those things). I especially loved the bath products, Le Labo's "Rose 31", and I'm determined to find the products online so I can have them at home. It's odd they don't sell them in the hotel, as I most certainly would have purchased Le Lebo had they been available. I ordered room service on a couple of occasions and the food was delicious; almost better than the small plates/appetizers I ordered in the lounge. I also liked that the waitstaff didn't expect extra gratuity when the food was delivered to my room (as it was already included) and there wasn't that awkward moment of them waiting for you to sign the bill. They simply delivered the food and that was it. Additionally, I wanted to eat at The Fig restaurant as I had heard wonderful things, but unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity. Next time! Since I was on a business trip, I used my iPad often in the room and found it curious the hotel didn't offer free wi-fi. Perhaps that will be an improvement to be made in the future because it really does make a difference to business travelers.

I would gladly come back to this hotel if I could be fortunate enough to get another upgraded room, as the view and the terrace allowed me to relax and unwind...even when on a business trip. I enjoyed my trip and the comfortable stay the hotel afforded me. I was fortunate to be offered a fantastic corporate rate (with the upgrade) so that certainly made the value that much more appreciated. Had I not had that rate, though, I may be a little more hesitant to stay at the hotel. Then again, I'm sure all places of this quality in Santa Monica run in the 300-500/night range. Simply put, is a luxury establishment with a lot to offer and those qualities very rarely come at a modest price!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business