“Security saved the day”

Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Locations of the hotel is key. In the heart of the city, but yet a resort feel. Access to 3rd Street Prominade shops and the new mall makes for a great day unless you're on a business trip and barely have time for room service.

Must dine at FIG....fish tacos!!!!!!

Three hours after I checked out of my amazing bungalow, which was spacious and private, I realized I left my diamond earrings in the bathroom. I phoned security and Edgar went to my bungalow immediately and saved the day by securing my diamonds......Only in a luxury resort do you get service like this. Edgar.....this is long overdue. Thank you for turning moments into memories for me and saving the day!

Room Tip: Have your travel agent book you in a bungalow!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,406)

Reviewed May 11, 2012

They overbooked on two double beds so our girls get away instantly turned into a mess. We had three adults they placed into a king room with a Cot. Yeah we could do it, but it was tight. The poor front desk did their best to make it sound appealing but really. Who wants to sleep on a Cot on their fun get-away weekend?

Front Desk staff tried to put on a good show but they were all definitely stressed and unhappy. There seemed to be a lot of miss-communication and poor management. They smiled and chatted to me and my friends but the moment they didn't notice we were watching it was all gloomy and what appeared to be bickering. We showed up around noon and couldn't get into a room for 5 hours so we had a lot of time to sit in the lobby and watch. By the way, thought check in was at 3, what happened with that?

Concierge was great. Thank you Ryan for being incredibly nice and suggesting the best dinner in Santa Monica. We loved Boa!

The restaurant service is wonderful. Food is eh...

The hotel rooms are old and tiny. I heard something about a tear-down and re-do coming to the Miramar soon. Wish it was here sooner! I would stay here again but only if I couldn't get into Shutters. Sorry Fairmont, you need a better product in Santa Monica.

Room Tip: Ocean Tower has small rooms but a good view. Higher floors are better obviously.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Spent the weekend at this hotel and was very impressed with service and facilities. We were celebrating a "girls weekend" and it was a perfect location to the beach, shopping and excellent restaurants. We really didn't need a car. Each employee was incredible from check in, to wait staff to concierge to valets. Also utilized the spa and we all agreed we had the best massages we have ever had (and this is a discernible crowd!). I would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 11, 2012

The hotel Miramar is one of the nicest hotels and experiences in Santa Monica. It's up against Shutters (which offers a more intimate experience), but offers a more hip and elegant atmosphere. The location couldn't be better (across the street from the ocean/beach), a few blocks from the 3rd Street Promenade and Whole Foods (great for snacks or breakfast).

The hotel: The grounds are beautiful from the entrance, to the lobby, pool, and guest rooms. The hotel is split into two "towers" and several bungalows. The two guest room towers include the Ocean Tower and the Palisades. At check-in they may try to talk you into the one of the rooms in the Palisades (saying they are bigger), but stick to the Ocean Tower. The Palisades are older and do not have an ocean view. I'd just about every Ocean Tower room has a balcony with a view of the ocean, and they have plenty of space.

The pool: The pool is nicely decorated by upscale furniture and surrounded by plenty of trees and vegetation. However, the amount of pool chairs/lounges is very limited (probably around 20 or so), so get there early or expect to fight for a place to lay down. It seemed that people were going down early and putting down towels and books to claim a chair and then returning later (not cool in my book, but be prepared for it).

The restaurant: Didn't eat there, but my wife said the food is excellent, and they have a half-priced happy hour from 5-6pm.

Exhale spa/exercise: Another top feature, and one of the best gyms out of any hotel. Not very large, so depending on the hour you may need to wait for machines.

Service: They lost the 5th star due to the fact that we had to wait 1 hour for a room to be ready after 3pm check-in time. My wife tells me that this has happened to her several times on previous visits to the Fairmont. The manager was very professional and made it up to us, but seems like this may be a reoccurring theme. Otherwise, the staff was excellent, especially the valet crew as they offered us bottled water every time we came or left the hotel.

Overall, a beautiful experience worthy of the price. It's such a gorgeous and peaceful place to stay away from the hustle and congestion of Hollywood and downtown LA, yet so close to the major highways (minutes from the 405 and 10). The service (with the exception of room preparedness) makes you feel special, and the Figs restaurant, pool area and spa/gym are the icing on the cake.

Room Tip: Go with the Ocean Tower (you'll get a balcony and an ocean view).
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Beautiful hotel inside and out. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful with extra accomodation requests. Rooms were nicely laid out and spacious. Restaurant is amazing! Try the fish tacos if you want to try some california style tacos!! Outdoor patio area was nice to enjoy a drink in the evening. Would recommend this hotel.

Great location and area. Close enough to Hollywood, Venice beach, Bel-air, ect.. far enough to not find yourself walking drunkenly through Compton California at night in a confused drunken state.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2012

The Miramar is my only hotel when heading south to LA, it is easy access from LAX, lots of shopping and eating establishments within walking distance, an awesome garden pool nestled away amongst the Bungalows, great late afternoon deals in Fig and the lounge is a great place to entertain your friends. This time (Saturday evening) there was a small trio playing requests and engaging the customers, I'd go back just for that.

Room Tip: I have stayed in both towers and they are very different and unique,
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
kjkim, Director of Sales at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2012

Thank you very much for your kind words about our hotel. We’re thrilled you enjoyed your stay and time spent in Santa Monica. We hope that your travels bring you back to Fairmont Miramar in the future! Thank you again for your kind feedback.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

Santa Monica is a gorgeous place. I loved everything about it. The hotel was beautiful. The rooms were a little small but the view was amazing. Had a room on the 10th floor. California is a beautiful place regardless. The valet service was great.. They charge a little over $30 a night for the valet but I think the service was great.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple