“lovley hotel - staff very friendly and helpful” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows

Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Brisbane, Australia
“lovley hotel - staff very friendly and helpful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

WE stayed one night in late April. It was our last night away after a 3 and a half week tour of the US. The staff at check in were very friendly and we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite in the old building. The room was huge and gave us plenty of room to repack all our suitcases in preparation for going home. We had a nice view of the pool and a view through the trees of the beach.
The hotel was an easy walk to the beach, Pier and mall shops. Our flight wasn't until late at night so we asked for a late check out. The hotel was full for the next night but we were able to stay until 3.00.. Breakfast was included which was lovely in an open poolside venue. We went into LA for a few hours and were then able to come back, pack up and have a late lunch, early dinner before going to the airport.
A great hotel - highly recommended

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mozartandmonty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
san anselmo, ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

The staff are wonderful and thoughtful, the rooms are elegant, and the location is very relaxing.
Right next to the ocean and a great park across the street.
And the shops and restaurants are close by, with all sorts of great eats.
It's a great place, not too snooty, and Santa Monica itself is such a great city.
TIP:If you join the President's club (for free)you get free internet.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank marilyntraveler
Hoboken, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2011

Only stayed one night after a week in Santa Barbara , but the hotel was wonderful.

Service : Up to Fairmont usual quality. I made a mistake and had booked my room for the previous night by accident, but they were very understanding and moved the reservation without charging a no-show fee. In addition, I was traveling with my husband, young daughter, cousin, her husband, and their young son. On arrival, both children were given a stuffed animal, and the requested crib (complimentary, real wood, sturdy) in the room also came with a baby survival pack (lotion, wipes, etc.). This was a very nice touch I thought!

Property : The hotel is beautiful and in a great location. Steps away from the 3rd St Promenade and maybe a 15 min walk to the pier. We used the pool which was somewhat small but perfectly adequate for a city hotel. The pool area had complimentary iced lemon water and comfortable lounge chairs. The bungalows around the pool area looked amazing !

Room : I stay in a lot of Fairmonts, so it was a pretty typical fairmont room (i.e. good, the beds are super comfortable. Love fairmont pillows!). We had an ocean front deluxe room in the tower which had a great direct view of the ocean, but my only complaint was that the balcony had a cement wall instead of glass so you couldn't see the view unless you actually stood on the balcony and looked over the wall. Wasn't very pretty from the room itself. My cousin stayed in a room on the side of the tower which overlooked the pool (cheaper rate) and she still had a view of the ocean but with the glass balcony. Most of the rooms have this, from the looks of it.

All in all, you can't go wrong. Beautiful hotel, great location, lovely pool, excellent service. Wish we had stayed longer so I could have tried the spa. Would definitely stay again !

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Avondale, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

On the second day of our stay (05/28/2011), the hotel sent in to my bank a proof of funds in the amount of $1500 plus. At the day of checking out (05/31/2011), the final amount was charged which was $1600 plus. As of today (06/02/2011), both payments have been taken out of my account and under a pending status. In couple of days, the hotel would have kept double the required charges for almost a full week. I have verified with my bank (Chase) that the funds are under the control of the hotel. I'm just wondering where does the pending money is at, when I do not have access to it. And what if the amount was $10,000 instead $1500. Does this mean that the bank would hold a total of $20,000. I smell a stinky process of verifying funds. If I knew this was going to happen, I would have paid in cash. If I do not get a legitimate answer with 100% proof of the hotel not gaining interest on the money held, I will seek legal action against the hotel. Could you imagine what would be the gain on a 2% interest on all money held across the entire chain of hotels owned by the hotel corporation.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 2011traveler9
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2011

Stayed at the Fairmont Miramar for one night in May 2011 while on business. I had a king bed room in the Ocean Tower with a beautiful view of the coastline looking north. My room was not quite ready upon my arrival but not a big deal. I ducked in the restaurant for brunch (that's another story, see my postings). After I finished brunch, I stopped by the front desk where I was informed that my room was now ready and my bags have been delivered. Much appreciated!. While the room was not overly large it was very, very pleasant and I was quite happy with it. It was a perfect size for one or two guests. I stayed here a few years back and my recent stay was just as pleasant as my prior stay. Valets and front desk staff were very pleasant. Really nice hotel in a great location. My first choice in Santa Monica, indeed.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank akoser
Ames, IA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

I and my wife stayed in two different rooms: 1022 and 1035. We liked them both, but
the two-balcony room (1035) is clearly superior, and both were priced the same
(739.00/night + 107.00 in fees and taxes).

We had originally booked a one-balcony suite for Saturday because the two-balcony suite (1035) was not available. The names of the suites are not as important as whether you specify "one-balcony" or "two-balcony" suites.

There was a slight miscommunication at check-in insofar as the
receptionist said that we had a two-balcony room our entire stay, but we discovered
it was really a one-balcony room (1022). However, a manager made it right by promising a transfer the next day (as originally intended), and so we were happy.

We moved to the two-balcony room on Sunday (May 22) and checked out Wednesday
May 25.

Room 1035 was clearly superior. First, the two balconies do make a difference. Room 1022 will give you a narrower view of the north side of the beach. Room 1035, with its two balconies, will provide a wider scope, and faces toward the Santa Monica Pier.

The bathroom in 1035 has a much larger vanity in the bathroom, while 1022 has a small
one that can become annoying if you are constantly knocking over some toiletries to get to others. The toilet in 1022 faces directly into the bedroom, while the one in 1035 is around the corner, and allows more privacy. All internal doors have shutters, which is the only slight drawback for privacy, including the bathroom.

The air conditioning was working just fine, but the sliding glass windows provided all the temperature controls we needed.

The staff was extremely professional and friendly. One maid had worked there 30 years, and I am sorry I did not tip her as well as I should have. I really appreciated the free computers in the Business Center.

The location cannot be easily superseded. The beach is across the street and down about 117 steps (yes, I counted them because I used to be disabled) at the nearest staircase. The Santa Monica Pier is an easy walk, and the beach itself is wide and clean.

There are shops all around the Third Street Promenade, but my favorite was the
Hennessy and Ingalls Art bookstore right on second block of Wilshire.

We had no problems with noise, and the balconies of 1035 are relatively private.

I originally intended to stay at the Loew's, south of the Santa Monica Pier, but I am glad I chose the Fairmont. I would stay here again. But I would book the two-balcony
suites over the one-balcony suites from the beginning.

Room Tip: Specify 1-balcony or 2-balconies if important.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank Elosofamoso
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

We stayed in a suite in the older wing. The room was very nice and spacious. We were there for my daughter's birthday, and they sent a cake up shorty after we checked in! They also left her name in little colorful sponges in the bath, and gave her a child's size robe to use while visiting.

The pool area was great for kids, they even have some extra pool toys for people to use. I had planned to do some touring, but in the end we mainly lazed around by the pool. It was very relaxing. We also played on the beach one morning, which isn't that hard to walk to.

Our daughter loved the promenade and the entertainers. The hotel is close to some good restaurants and lots of things to do, but feels very secluded at the same time. Overall we had a fabulous visit.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family