2,893 results
All reviewsdouble treewarm cookiesstreet promenadehigh schoolvalet parkingsofa bedwithin walking distanceseparate bedroomliving areaper dayking suitefree shuttlethird floorshopping areafew blocksrooms are largevalet service
Reviewed July 22, 2009

Hotel appears to have been converted from an Embassy Suites. Hotel is nice, but not high end. Suite was a good size. Great location within a couple of blocks of main street in Santa Monica.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2009

Doubletree is probably one of the better hotels I have stayed at in Santa Monica. It is well maintained and clean, even though maybe somewhat dated. Rooms are very spacious which was great when travelling with two teens. It definitely offers good value for money.

However, I had failed to notice when booking that it is not right in Santa Monica. Both beach and "downtown" area are within walking distance, but do require a few more steps than what I thought. Which must be why this hotel is such good value.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2009

So yet another trip to LA, and another change in hotel (I get bored easily). This time we decided to stay in Santa Monica and chose the Doubletree. I have to admit to some trepidation after seeing some of the comments posted to Tripadvisor but we needn't have worried.

My room was pleasant and clean. Even though I was only on the third floor with a patio next to the pool, there were no issues with noise. The main noise problem was children being wide awake at pool opening time in the morning and waking me up but that is to be expected with a room next to a pool I suppose.

Bed was comfortable and adequate space inside with a separate sofa/desk area. WiFi signal was good and TV, whilst an old CRT, was more than adequate. Signal strength on some channels was pretty poor though, but didn't cause a major issue.

We used the restaurant many times whilst there - breakfast was good (we didn't try and buffet as we were too lazy to get up and walk to get our food) albeit a little pricey, and evening dinner was pretty much the same. Some of the starters were definitely more like entree's (yes quesadilla, I'm talking about you!) and I did feel one evening that I had a whole lamb on my plate rather than a few lamb chops, but hey ho!

The bar however wasn't that good. The staff were great, but there just wasn't anyone ever in there to give it some atmosphere.

Staff were polite and helpful and the valet was only a few dollars a night more expensive than self park which was fair enough. The location though was strange. As others have said, it is sort of out of the way and even though 3rd St is only a 5-10 minute walk, it did seem quite remote although never once did we feel worried in any way.

Quite a nice place and considering the price of other places in Santa Monica for the time, it was reasonable value.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2009

After reading the many reviews of this hotel, wasn't sure what to make of it. While this hotel was not one of the best I've stayed at, it certainly was better than I expected from the reviews.

Visited for two nights with extended family. Check-in was fairly easy, but we did have to "request" those famous cookies, which was odd. No big deal though. We had requested two rooms together, and since my grandmother is a Hilton gold member (VIP or whatever they call it for the highest Hilton Rewards group) I expected they'd accomodate her reservation request. The rooms were on the same floor, but on opposite ends of the hotel. Disappointing.

We visited on a weekend and the front desk staff was very young - not polished and did not even say anything to me as I approached the desk to check in. The two girls seemed very aloof, as though I was wasting their time! Never a thank you heard from them the entire weekend.

The room(s) were very different. One room was large and spacious, with a view of the ocean just beyond the parking garage across the street. (This hotel is not on the beach, but rather BLOCKS from the beach - FYI). This room had a large sitting area with two Q beds in the bedroom. Very large bathroom. A lot of light in the suite and it was truly a great room, with lots of space for the kids. The furniture was in very good condition.

The second room was strange. Terrible room layout. The room was not on a corner, but it was positioned as though it was. The sitting room was triangular and it was very, very tight when you had more than two people sitting together. The bathroom was smaller and overall this suite was very dark, as it only had one window to the outside (the other window in the sitting area opened to the interior corridor). This room was so bad that I almost felt guilty for staying in the "better" room!

Had one dinner and two breakfasts in the hotel restaurant. Breakfast was very, very good both days. Upgraded continental buffet, which I was told includes one hot dish a day (one day they had "Huevos Rancheros" while I was there). Kids did upgrade to full, hot breakfast which they enjoyed, esp. the bacon. Fresh fruit display was great, with fresh pineapple and berries. Breakfast staff for both dinner and breakfast were First-Class. They were so professional and accomodating (unlike the front desk staff) that I filled out a comments card at each meal!

Valet was very polite, even when I didn't have any cash to tip him! Brought the bags to both rooms and was quite friendly.

Lobby was quite beautiful. An atrium that went to the top floor and two glass elevators.
Swam in the pool one morning. Not heated and a little cool, but enjoyable. Pool area was clean and well-stocked with towels. Gym was clean and the equipment was in good shape.

Never paid for parking, as the exit gate was up the entire weekend and we were told by the valet "not to worry about it".

This hotel exceeded my expectations, with the exception of the front desk staff. Might try looking at other hotels closer to the beach if we're on "vacation" (we were here this time for a family event in Brentwood/L.A.) and looking for a resort, but otherwise a nice stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 17, 2009

The design of the building having all rooms exposed to the central reception / function area means I am writing this review at.... 11:17 now infuriated with a party going on in the function room to which I could tell you every boy and girls name which has been shouted if I so wish to. It is such a shame that the noise levels have made this for day stay totally unenjoyable, it means I sleep in late, get to breakfast late and not get to enjoy the good food, get stuck in traffic and it sucks. You can't have a hilton branded hotel with this poor level of quality. Oh, my fridge has been broke the whole time, the bathroom door lock is sketchy, the decor is outdated, the door chain is broke, the sofa bed is broke and the shower head sprays in every which way conceivable.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family