“Great location with Great cookies”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Santa Monica
Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Long Beach, California
“Great location with Great cookies”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Like all DoubleTrees this one serves warm cookies upon arrival. And I may have asked for another during my stay =) The location is wonderful just a short walk to the Santa Monica Pier and mall and restaurants. The parking is Valet only, but you can go in and out without additional costs. It doesn't take much time for them to get your car either.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

JDSmith1, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Santa Monica, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to write such a positive review, very much appreciated -- we will keep the cookies warm for your next visitation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We were given the wrong directions several times by staff regarding transportation in the area since we wanted try to walk or take the bus and the concierge was never available. We were coldly welcomed and had to ask for cookies upon checkin. The king bed was fine but sofabed was very uncomfortable. Not what we expect from a hilton doubltree. Also, i used points to reserve but read that people who booked on hotwire got free breakfast for the family, i spent 20,000$ last year on my card to get gold status but still had to pay over $20 plus tip for breakfast since i only got 2 vouchers. Disappointing hilton doubletree is giving better perks to people who book on blind sites to get a better deal. I thought gold members got 2 vouchers so i was ok with that till i read other families are treated differently and my husband couln't join us this weekend. This hotel cost twice the points per night as the la hilton i stayed at. I've always been treated well at doubletree before so i don't know if it's because i was a single mom with kids this wekend but i had to go online to look up info because the hotel staff didn't know about various local venues or schedules. Very disappointing. At least the location was great. We never did use the pool but it looked wonderful.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
JDSmith1, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Santa Monica, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Thank you for being a valued HHonors Gold Member. We are disapointed to read that your stay with us did not measure up to your expectations. We do offer a lot of different breakfast packages online that are varied in their offerings; please be assured that they are also priced accordingly. Hopefully on your next visit, you and your family will get the time to enjoy our pool.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 6, 2014

This hotel is AWESOME!!! My boyfriend and I stayed visited California for the first time and we hesitantly chose the Santa Monica property. We thought staying in downtown LA would have been a better experience for the first time. Boy were we ever so wrong! The area is all you need and more. Shopping, the beach, food galore all within walking distance! The staff here is phenonmenal! We were there to celebrate our anniversary and I planned a scavenger hunt in the hotel for my BF and the staff was dead on with helping me see it through. They passed out my gifts and all. Love them!!! If you looking for relaxation and a good time, this is the place to be! Decor in room is a bit dated but we often stay at DoubleTree properties and it is all about the same. It serves its purpose, I mean its not my house to decorate lol! Tip for all visiting with a car, use the parking garage across the street for $5 versus the $28 valet on site

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

2 Thank ICthaWorld
Glad to read that your scavenger hunt was successful; our team here always seems to rise to the occassion. Not sure if you used our complimentary Wi-FI, but we extend this courtesy throughout the entire hotel --including your room -- regardless of how many devices you utilize. Please plan on a return visit. Thanks,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I was booked into this hotel for three week for a work trip and had numerous problems with my credit card which was left to guarantee personal expenditure. The front desk didn't inform me that $50 per day would be authorised as a pending transaction (a total of $1,000, a lot of money not to tell a customer will be held against the card). However, the amount ACTUALLY pended was $2,200! No one could tell me why other than "the system did this automatically". It took numerous phone calls to get this sorted, the staff seemed completely inept and at a loss to help. I was then told my credit card would be removed from my file but I then got phone calls on my room phone and letters under my door demanding a credit card! Finally, no one from hotel management bothered to get in touch until I chased up to demand an explanation/apology.

With regards to the union demonstration, staff have been protesting outside the hotel for over 2 weeks to try and set up a union at the hotel. Housekeeping staff explained that they did not have enough time to take their breaks at the Doubletree and want a union to help protect their rights. I asked three times at the Front Desk for the Double Tree response (to get both sides of the story) and staff feigned total ignorance and had no management response to use. I find it highly surprising that management did not at least give them basic public lines to deal with customers, the protests were public and vocal and Doubletree looked rather stupid not having a response or holding lines for other staff to deploy.

Finally, service in thre breakfast restaurant was slow and they consistently got the orders wrong! I stopped eating there after the first week as it was so expensive, lots of better places nearby to eat.

The front staff were very nice - just poor at communicating with each other about customer complaints and senior management were obviously not bothered by customer issues. Housekeeping and maintenance staff were lovely and very efficient. Room was clean and well equipped and the pool and gym were well maintained. Doubletree needs to raise its standard considerably on the customer service front to justify the cost of staying there, totally not worth it at the moment.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Russe1982
Thank you taking the time to write us about your recent stay. Please be assured that your comments have been addressed with the proper departments in order to improve upon our customer service, which we take great pride in. Our apologies regarding the lack of communication regarding your credit card, the Union and the pace of service in the restaurant. We do appreciate your acknowledgement of our friendly Front Desk Staff.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Service in this hotel is patchy. Room service would often forget items or not listen to orders and turn up with wrong things, despite the menu being clear. They add a room charge and a tip into the bill so don't pay more as I did before I realised. There was a leak from excess rain into my room and I came back at 10pm to find a pile of old towels laid out on the floor to soak it up. The carpet was also soaked. There was no note left or indication of what would be done or apology. I was checking out the next day so I didn't bother raising it beyond asking at the desk, where I got shrugged shoulders in response. The only person who seemed concerned was the maid. Maid service was very good. Throughout my stay there were demonstrations that woke me from 6am. Staff are not being given enough time to do their jobs and also take breaks. They were demonstrating about that and wanting to be unionised. They are the only hotel in the area without a union. The restaurant in the hotel has patchy, slow service and is expensive. I would go outside to one of the many better restaurants in Santa Monica. Laundry ruined a number of my brasseries but I couldn't be bothered with the trouble of complaining as the general lack of concern by staff about anything really gave me no confidence that they'd take any notice. A colleague staying at the hotel with me had a number of issues from excess amounts of money being held against her credit card. Generally there is a "don't care" attitude about the staff which given their treatment might explain why. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

1 Thank Fiona B
JDSmith1, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Santa Monica, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
We’re sorry we didn’t provide the high quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have addressed the issues you mentioned. We try to make each guest experience a great one at our hotel and your satisfaction is important to us. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be.
Guildford UK
Reviewed March 2, 2014

This was my third stay at the hotel and it is a perfectly decent place to stay. Room was very nice and the service was excellent. They are really missing a trick though as if they put the bar area down in the atrium they would get a lot more custom I think. The current bar is uninviting and gloomy which is a shame. The dining room needs updating badly. Apart from those two criticisms, I will stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
JDSmith1, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Santa Monica, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Thank you taking the time to recognize our service team as being excellent -- we consider all of them to be our Doubletree Cookie Ambassadors. Also, we will certainly take a look at your recommendations.
Yonkers, NY
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I recently visited this hotel as I won a bid from hotwire for about 240 dollars for the 3.5 star hidden hotel.This place was great as a Hilton Honors Gold member I received free breakfast for me and my family.I got my room key even though i was early and got my 3 cookies and headed to the room.This hotel has gone through a huge renovation and you can tell.The elevators are very nice and so are the rooms.The pool is in the third floor which you can access via the gym which is nice also.The rooms are very nicely decorated and spacious.The hotel charge 28 dollars for parking but i parked across the street for 5 dollars a day make sure you park in the second floor or higher if leaving it over night.I remember the second floor and up being all day parking pay before you go to your car and your set.I really though Santa Monica wasn't for me but dont hesitate to pick this hotel because it is amazing and walking distance to the beach and shops.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Congratulations again on the winning bid; also, thank you being a HHonors Member -- we really do appreciate it. Glad to read you enjoyed the location and beach; we'll make sure it is there for your next visit.