“Fair hotel for the price”

Days Inn Santa Monica/los Angeles
Ranked #32 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
“Fair hotel for the price”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I really expected to be a lower rate hotel, but everything was really clean, no complaints, it looks like the room was recently renewed. Good costumer service from everyone at the front desk, except an asian guy he was kind of rude.

• Stayed April 2014
Tom_Yang_DAYS-INN_SM, Manager at Days Inn Santa Monica/los Angeles, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
We are pleased your stay at the Days Inn Santa Monica was satisfactory. My humblest apology however for any perceived rudeness. Due to language barriers, the tone of voice CAN be misconstrued. Please accept our invitation to visit us if you're staying in the area again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2014

This is a basic hotel that does well on the important things like clean rooms, good quality bedding, good shower and quite a spacious room. The latter was quite useful as we had an energetic 3 year old who needed play space. The breakfast was not the healthiest and the fruit not always fresh. But on the positive the reception staff couldn't be nicer or more helpful if they tried. I didn't have contact with the manager Tom but he didn't seem to have the same customer service ethos as his staff. I spoke to a receptionist called Alex when booking from the UK and he was really helpful - even emailed me on his day off to let me know about car hire firms etc. LA hotels aren't cheap, so this was on the cheaper end of hotels. The location worked well for us.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Tom_Yang_DAYS-INN_SM, Manager at Days Inn Santa Monica/los Angeles, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thank you for your positive comments. We strive to improve everyday, and it's good to know we are on course. Please visit us again soon at the Days Inn Santa Monica.
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed April 8, 2014

After our trip to Santa Barbara, we drove down the coast and spent a few days in Santa Monica. The Days Inn is located in an okay area, within driving distance of the beach and the Santa Monica Pier. The hotel is clean and has free parking and a continental breakfast. This would have been good review had it not been for the general manager, Tom Yang. We had booked our reservations using our AARP discount and had an email with our rate. It was clearly stated that we were a party of four, two adults, two teens. Since I was using points for our first night, we had two separate reservations, one made through Wyndham rewards for the first night and a separate one for the other 3 nights. When we checked in, Mr. Yang was at the counter. He refused to accept the reservation for the first night as using points even though I had my email confirmation from Wyndham rewards. He insisted I pay for that night that very evening. When I went to check out, he was also at the counter, unfortunately, and he wanted to charge me a much higher fee per night because he said that the reservation was not for four people and he needed to charge me extra for each night. I had all this in email format and it wasn't until his own employee working the desk who came back just then showed him the reservation and said, "Tom you can't do this. We have this in writing and emailed it to her" that he agreed and honored the original reservation. As we finished up the continental breakfast and were getting ready to leave, there was another argument about the exact same thing going on with another couple who were checking out. Sorry, but I would never go back to this hotel.

1 Thank Ofeliavw
We really appreciate your comments, and your qualms are duly noted. Please understand we are constantly striving to improve our guests' experience with us, and feedback both good and bad will help in the long term. We hope you consider visiting us again soon, and thank you again for your words.

Travelers are raving about these Santa Monica hotels

Reviewed April 6, 2014

This hotel is well-located, but has truly seen better days. It's clean, and there is free parking. There is a complimentary continental breakfast, served in a tiny alcove, in which signs are prominently displayed, saying "Don't take any food out of this room". I had the breakfast there once, after which I preferred to drive to D&K Donuts, a few blocks away. My main complaint is that during my stay, there was a fire-alarm that went off at 1:10 a.m. for approximately 20 minutes. A call to the front desk gleaned the info that this was a false alarm and that the fire department was on the way.

Problem was, once the alarm was turned off, it would go off again at intermittent times, for short, or a series of short blasts. This lasted for another hour. Needless to say, the night's rest was severely compromised.

When I went to check out, a day later, I inquired as to whether I might receive a partial credit for that terrible night. I was told dismissively by the owner that no one had complained. I said that *I* was complaining, now. He again dismissed me with the comment, "It was totally out of our control. No control over that."

I responded, "Okay. Know what's in my control? Where I stay the next time I'm in town. And it won't be here."

Amenities were bare minimum: shampoo, lotion and soap. No conditioner, or other niceties.

The room DID have an iron and ironing board, and blow dryer, along with a fridge. No microwave.

The carpeting was clean, but would "crunch" when you walked in certain areas of the room - perhaps the backing was coming away from the carpet or something, but it was disconcerting, nonetheless.

There is a weird little terrace on the 4th floor, with odd little sculptures and gold star-shaped placards in the walls with the names of the presidents of the United States (with the notable exception of Obama). The only furniture on the terrace was a ratty glider with cushions that were ripped and frayed and really, REALLY dirty.

The exercise equipment and location(s) is just plain weird. A bike would be by itself in a small, windowed, 5x5 foot walled area. A treadmill was located in the hallway on the third floor. Random and off-putting. Really? You want me to exercise in the hallway, right off the elevator? Um... no thank you.

Room Tip: The upgraded King rooms provide a really spacious balcony area, and have microwaves.
1 Thank DebBooth
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate any comments whether good or bad in helping us improve guest experience. Rooms are constantly being updated, so any tips are of help. Our breakfast is ironically enough provided by D&K Donuts.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed April 3, 2014

One of the best hotels of its type we've stayed in. Clean. Efficiently run (we arrived late and were checked in within a minute). Good continental breakfast (hard-boiled eggs provided for protein; all items refilled right to the end). Nice color-scheme inside and out. Our room had a usable balcony. Not easy walking distance to the beach, but about halfway between I-405 and the coast, so pretty convenient. Video-surveilled underground free parking. Good elevator. The staff was friendly but not all over you. Just did their jobs.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate hearing that your stay with us was pleasant. Please visit us again soon.