“Good basic hotel away from the beach”

Comfort Inn Santa Monica
Ranked #24 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed February 15, 2010

The Comfort Inn gives you clean. quiet, unadorned rooms at a site about two miles inland from the beach and downtown Santa Monica. It's easy enough to get down there on the bus or on a bike, but it's rather a long walk. Santa Monica and Wilshire Boulevards are both main bus routes, with the Rapid buses stopping nearby.

The motel is near the eastern end of the city of Santa Monica. There are a bunch of restaurants on Wilshire (two blocks up from the hotel) and more on Santa Monica Boulevard where that street crosses over into the city of Los Angeles, a little under a mile to the east. It's basically an apartment residential neighborhood with commercial strips, nothing wrong with it at all, but not a tourist's delight either.

No complaints with the room in terms of light, noise, heat. Somebody complained about stuffiness, which I experienced. The bathtub exists but is undersized. There's terrible kelly green carpet in the outdoor hallways that should be taken away immediately.

The main reason to stay here would be to save money vs. staying in a livelier and more walkable location closer to the beach.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed January 6, 2010

We stayed in this hotel for 1 night while visiting LA. This hotel fits the bill if u are looking for clean, nice location hotel with free parking and complimentary breakfast.
Room although small for 2 queen, was clean and functional with comfortable bed.
Breakfast is standard items like boiled egg, fruit, cereal, bread, bagel, juice, waffle, coffee.
Although breakfast room is small, there is tables outside. items were replenished quick and efficient manner.
I liked the hotel.
I got a better rate calling hotel directly and thru hotel direct website then choice hotel website even with AAA discount

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank coolmist72
Reviewed November 27, 2009

Stayed two nights and found this hotel comfortable, quiet and clean. There was some construction going on but it did not effect me in the evening. Would stay there again.
Free breakfast, free parking and very secure.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed November 14, 2009

We were looking for a place to stay, after dark, and found Comfort Inn in Santa Montica, CA. Drove by it and thought I wouldn't like it, so drove another mile or so looking for something else, only other thing I saw was a Days Inn. Went back to Comfort Inn and was pleasantly surprised, once we went thru the door, into the courtyard, which our room was off of. Room was about $100. a night, which was probably reasonable for this town. Room was small but very clean and comfortable. I am pretty picky. They serve a nice breakfast with alot of choices. We ate in the courtyard off our room, very relaxing. Ran by Americans who were very helpful with any questions we had about the area. I would highly recommend this hotel if you find yourself in the area and need a clean, comfortable room. It is about 2 miles from the beach.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank seachelle1
Reviewed October 5, 2009

This was our first stop in our family trip to California. Because we are a large family, we had to go for the hotels with the best price for all 6 of us, which usually meant finding large enough rooms to accommodate 6 - and that's how we found this hotel. We were pleasantly surprised: The rooms were clean and quiet, and the breakfast was good. The hotel is located on the highway and is very central (a fact that helped us move around easily) - but we weren't facing the traffic and didn't hear anything. Bottom line: Good value for money!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2009

I'm a bit of a hotel snob, but when my daughter became ill, we had to stop for the day and had no reservations. The Comfort Inn was the most affordable place in the area at about $180 for the night. We had planned for a day at the beach and then were driving down to San Diego. The hotel staff were VERY nice and accomodating. The room "appeared" clean. But, when I spilled something on the carpet and retrieved one of their white towels to soak up the spill, I was amazed at how dirty the carpet was. YUCK. The room was very large and comfortable. I agree with one of the comments about parking being a little worrisome. I would not have wanted to walk out there in the dark. Breakfast was filling and about average for such a place. If I were headed back to Santa Monica, I'd probably stay there again - but only because it is a decent rate for that part of town. Places on the beach run over $500 a night and even the Holiday Inn was running $300+.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2009

We spend one night at Comfort Inn Santa Monica and it was enough.
The front desk person was rude and racist when we booked in.
I presented my ID which is written in Arabic. I asked to pay the room cash. She immediately asked me for a deposit of 150 USD while the price of the room is 139 USD per night, but I said OK.
Indeed on, we have a room which looks onto the street and parking and which did not look like very safe. The area of the hotel is dirty and full of bums asking you for money, not a nice place for a walk with my kids.
The next day for the check out, she called the maid to check the room before giving me back the deposit of 150 USD, as if I had stolen something.
I was only expecting some good words like good morning, thank you or goodbye : nothing !!!
Worse, my 5-year-old son left in the room a souvenir from Disney Land (Mickey's hand)which could have been found by the maid during the check out.
This hotel is a shame for the California State, which is according to some at the edge of the bankruptcy...

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank BFamily007
GMCA430, General Manager at Comfort Inn Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2009

First and foremost, I would like to extend my apologies to the BFamily007. It was unfortunate that they experienced an unpleasant stay due to a possible misunderstanding.
The required payment of a deposit along with the estimated room cost was not based on appearance or racial profile.

Cash deposit is a standard practice required by most hotel establishments. If a guest does not prefer to provide a valid credit card to secure the room account then a cash deposit is required. It is only prudent that we conduct an immediate check of the room account, incidentals and condition prior to refunding the cash deposit on check out, since a credit card number is not on file.

Our hotel is located in the Mid-city area of Santa Monica. We are two miles from the beach and the downtown area. Our location is mostly consists of business establishments, known clinical buildings and residential areas. We have not experienced any violent or prevalent crime incidents in our location to date.

It is unfortunate that you felt your short stay with us did not meet your expectations. Rest assured that all your comments and feedback are taken seriously and are being addressed accordingly.

Our hotel is committed to our guest satisfaction. All we ask is that you inform us of any unsatisfactory experience you may be having during your stay and we will ensure that the matter will be resolved immediately.

Raul Pecaoco