“Good value”

Ranked #23 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Michigan
“Good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

The hotel is fairly close to the pier so the location is good. The room is fairly small and a bit dated but a good value for the price. I probably wouldn't want to stay here for a week but one of two nights is good.

• Stayed May 2014
GMCA430, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn Santa Monica, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for your review. We appreciate customer comments and use them to improve upon our rooms for future guests to ensure them great accommodations.
We have several size rooms and I would be happy to make sure you received a larger one if you're ever in the Santa Monica area again. If so, please contact me directly so I can be sure you get a larger room.
Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to review our property.

Sales Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Korean first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

Unfortunately, I missed my flight in Atlanta due to mechanical problems with the tram in route to concourse F the night I was due to stay here in Santa Monica. I contacted them explaining my situation and hoping they would give some type of refund since the prices are ridiculous for one night . The person who answered the phone was pleasant enough but he said the manager had previously said no and was unwilling to give any type of refund. Stuff happens sometimes for reasons we don't know or understand. If anything, there could of been sometype of credit given even if no refund was available just like the airlines. I wouldn't stay here if it was the last place on Earth! ! So buyer Beware..........

Stayed April 2014
3 Thank msecox
GMCA430, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn Santa Monica, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Msecox,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on your recent experience. It is unfortunate you weren't given the opportunity to stay at our hotel.

Our cancellation policy is as lenient as we can make it, and due to the hotel being sold out we were unable to cancel your booking after 6:00pm. Although I cannot offer a credit on the no-show charge, I would love to offer you a discount on your next reservation, should you ever come to our area again. Please contact me directly at 310-828-5517 if I can be of assistance to you in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Santa Monica hotels

Thornhill, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

With Parking, breakfast and a good price , this hotel can be considered a great choice in Santa Monica. It is not in the immediate vicinity of the beach, but if you need to get there it is no issue to do so. It is motel style ; as the doors open into a courtyard and not into a building. However it is a secure courtyard, accessible to guests only. The rooms are a healthy size and in good order.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Troy B
GMCA430, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn Santa Monica, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Troy,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us. We truly appreciate your feedback and will use this valuable information to serve future guests.

We hope to see you again the next time you visit our area.

Best,
Chesapeake
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Stayed here while exploring the coast area. Basic chain hotel, a bit older, but clean and well maintained. Parking is behind the hotel. Its about a 10 minute drive from the Santa Monica pier, but the prices are much cheaper than staying anywhere near the pier. Rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable.

The complimentary breakfast is served out of a converted guest room on the first floor. During warm weather you can sit at tables in the courtyard, but it was chilly on our stay and everyone was crowded into the small room. Standard Comfort Inn continental breakfast (which I always consider a bit on the low end of the chain breakfast fair). They charge a couple of bucks for use of the in room safe, which I find peculiar; seems odd to nickle and dime your customer for such an item. I must compliment them on the recycling bins in the hallways throughout the building.

Its a residential neighborhood; all the cross streets are named after famous colleges. There is a nice Albertson grocery several blocks north and east on Wilshire Blvd and Berkeley Ave.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Flying_Rog
GMCA430, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn Santa Monica, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review. It is great to hear you found our beds comfortable. We recently updated all our mattresses and linens, so I am happy you enjoyed them!

I would like to mention that use of the in-room safe is free, however, the insurance on your items is $1.50 per night, which is completely optional. I hope you were able to have that charge removed if you did not need that insurance. If not, please contact me directly so I can remove it for you.

england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

I have been staying at this place for the best part of 20yrs now, which speaks volumes. Although it is on Santa Monica Blvd, it is a quiet place to stay. The rooms are of various sizes,( those with 2 queen beds are large and have a sofa and table and chairs), and all the rooms are pleasant, clean, well maintained and comfortable. The breakfast is good and there is an outside area where you can eat, Check in is brisk, and the staff are helpful.
Santa Monica is an expensive place for hotel accommodation at any time of year, and although I find it rather expensive, by comparison with other places, it is good value.
The area has a few bars, restaurants, shops etc within easy walking distance

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank clarksdale
GMCA430, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn Santa Monica, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is wonderful to hear you've been a loyal customer for about 20 years. Our entire staff works very hard at maintaining every part of the hotel to ensure all guests are comfortable during their stay.

We look forward to having you as our guest for many years to come. Thanks again!

Guatemala
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

If you’ve just finished the part of your vacation that includes Universal Studios or Disneyland and you were lucky enough to stay at one of the on-site yet relatively reasonably priced higher end hotels (Hilton, Sheraton), be prepared to hear your kids complain. Having said that, be assured that the high end hotels right on the Pacific Coast Highway are unreasonably overpriced and not very nice (at least in Santa Monica). Fortunately, the 3 to 3 ½ star budget options allow you to still remain comfortable but keep more money for the kids (or a nice dinner in my case since we have no kids)

The Comfort Inn of Santa Monica calls itself “near Santa Monica” and this is very true. Located on Santa Monica Blvd, the main thoroughfare in and out of town, the hotel is only five minutes from the 405 Freeway but about 2.4 miles from the pier, beach and main attractions. However, this should not be a problem. If walking is an issue there are several busses that run with decent frequency and will get you downtown within 15 minutes. If you are fit or enjoy walking, it tales about 20 minutes (we did it 3 times).

Typical of most urban budget hotels, the building is an unassuming three story building with a very narrow entrance way. Blink and you’ll miss the sign. There is a bungalow building with individual units which is a bit quieter then the main building (with the exception of the neighbors; mostly low class looking smokers constantly slamming the door going in and out to satisfy their cancer addiction). For some reason, when we reserved, the handicapped accessible room is quoted almost $40 a night cheaper than all the other options although it is identical except for the higher toilet, larger bathroom and small wheelchair bar in the shower. We recommend asking for this (we had bungalow room #711).

The lobby is tiny and nothing more than a small desk and a place to check in. Check in was efficient and they had the room ready an hour before the 4 PM check in time. Hint: There is a safe in the room that they want to charge a few bucks a day for. At check out, they asked if you used it; simply say no and they will reverse that charge. This is nice because charging for a rooms safe is unacceptable in a place like Los Angeles where every 3 average hotel should have one, especially a member of the Choice Hotel chain.

The room:
Comfortably equipped but expectedly small, the room is nothing special and only a place to sleep. However, the mattress and pillow was unusually soft and comfortable, even more so than the Hilton we had just come from. Since sleep is the main function, this is a big plus. There is a surprisingly decent sized fridge and even a microwave. The flat screen TV is a 32 inch Panasonic which had very good digital quality and a large choice of channels to choose from. There is adequate drawer space and a night table with an inexpensive alarm clock radio. The room has two chairs and one desk for writing but little room for much else.

The bathroom:
The handicapped room is larger thus looks out of place relative to the room size. Ample counter space and a granite countertop. Water quality decent. Amenities: Bare minimum; perhaps less than Beast Western but a tad higher than Motel 6. Typically average for an inner city Choice Hotel but by no means uncomfortable or lacking anything you need. The shower is very small;; I’m unsure how the bulk of the throngs of extremely obese Americans make use of it but the water pressure was fine. California remains in drought so even the fine hotels can’t provide the waterfall of a shower you get in countries that could care less about the environment (like my stay in Ecuador). Towels, although simple, and white, are also unusually soft and plush like a higher standard of hotel. Nice surprise; we love nice towels.

The continental breakfast:
My wife and I do not partake in the unhealthy slop that passes for continental breakfast in America so I can’t comment on the food itself; But I did go there for coffee and a hard boiled egg (the only protein available not packed with sugar). It’s in a small room with capacity of about 10 guests but is actually one of the rooms on the first floor of the main courtyard so again, I’d ask for the bungalow building as the sound travels right up the corridor. Although it’s supposed to be served from 6:30 until 10, the morning I arrived found no bread, no hot food and no hot coffee. While other guests complained, someone who must have the crappy job of manager walked in and told everyone that the person who handles the breakfast “is not here so I don’t really know where anything is”. To me, totally unacceptable and unprofessional but totally not unusual in a nation of unskilled migrant workers from virtually every third world country. Management in the hospitality industry appears to also have been delegated to non-skilled immigrant labor that cares little about customer service so the situation didn’t really bother me; you get what you pay for and the hotel rates are good for LA.

The next day I came back and everything was fully staffed. Runny looking scrambled eggs with very greasy sausage that I did not eat. A wide selection of the worst unhealthy sugary powdered donuts, croissants and fattening pastries. A few slices of white bread. A waffle maker which is horribly unappetizing to me but fine for kids or most Americans. Some runny looking oatmeal and that’s about it. Fine for most; gross to me

Overall:
A decent low cost option; there is a small pool but no hot tub. Expect basic 3 star service and amenities and be pleasantly surprised by the comfortable bed and good night’s sleep, assuming you sleep later than the noisy chain smoking neighbors.

Room Tip: Ask for the handicapped room; the rates are cheaper and the only difference is a high toilet, bigger...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank rodi2008
Dear guest,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to leave such a thorough review of your recent stay with us. It is great to hear you found our towels to be plush and soft because housekeeping constantly swaps out older towels to make sure only the best are being put inside guest rooms.

I would like to apologize for not having met your needs in regards to the complimentary hot breakfast buffet. We try to have a wide variety of items to satisfy almost everyone, so I am glad you were at least able to find some coffee and a hard-boiled egg. I am also very embarrassed about your experience with the missing breakfast attendant. This is not acceptable, and please be assured it has been addressed with the appropriate staff members to ensure it does not happen again.

I hope you will choose Comfort Inn Santa Monica for your accommodation needs if you are ever in the area again.

Kind regards,
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

Loved having 3 bed for the 4 of us (King, Queen, Queen). When you have a girl and a boy, it's nice to go on vacation and be able to sleep with your husband instead of a teenager that rolls every which way. Everyone was able to sprawl out. The beds were very comfortable and we slept great. It was also nice to have two separate rooms, one for us and the other for the kids so we didn't disturb each other. The hot breakfast was delicious every day and we were pleasantly surprized to have a microwave and fridge in the room too.

It was close to a lot of attractions: 2 miles from Santa Monica pier and Venice Beach (easy to get to), everything else within 15-30 minutes: Hollywood, Studio tours, Griffith park/Hollywood sign, Malibu beaches and hiking.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank LounBee
GMCA430, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn Santa Monica, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear guest,

We really appreciate your five star review of your recent stay with us! It was our pleasure to provide you with excellent accommodations.

Thank you for your decision to stay with us, and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back sometime very soon!

King regards,