“Very clean and comfortable”

Huntley Santa Monica Beach
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed November 21, 2009

My stay for this hotel was short but it was very nice. Everything in the room was very clean, and comfortable. The lobby looks very modern but not very large. as with the rooms - the rooms are practical and clean.

As for service, I cannot comment, as I never spoke to the concierge or much to the front desk except checking in.

The upstairs bar/lounge is very nice but can get rather crowded with lack of seating. Drinks are ok but very pricey as expected.

The movie selections in the rooms were great :)

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,400)

Reviewed November 19, 2009

I stayed at the Huntley from September 26-29, 2009 with my 2 adult children and my daughter's boyfriend (2 rooms, guess how it was arranged). My only serious complaint is the personnel (service). Two years earlier, we stayed at the Casa Del Mar in Santa Monica and found this hotel to be overpriced in relation to the room and service. However, it seems you pay for being right on the beach. But I recall that the service at the Casa was far from exceptional and when paying over $700/night one would expect exceptional service. Perhaps this is the way Santa Monica hotels operate-- "If you want to stay in Santa Monica, fine, be prepared to pay big bucks but don't expect any service." After 3 nights at the Huntley, we decided to check-in at the Four Seasons Beverly Hills at Los Angeles. The rates at the Four Seasons may be high, but the service is impeccable. We were very pleased with our stay of 3 nights and tried to extend another 3, but the hotel was (understandably) full. We were lucky and could get 2 rooms at the Four Seasons in Beverly Hills. Here the service was also exceptional. (However, if I had to choose between the two, I would take the Four Seasons in LA—Michael, the concierge, was incredible.)

In conclusion, I love hanging around Santa Monica, so if anyone knows of a hotel with personnel that are service-minded please let me know. I would like to point out one other experience at the Huntley. When we checked out, my daughter noted that there was a charge of 20 some dollars for the minibar. The problem is that we didn't use the minibar (we never do out of principal). When we mentioned this to the lady handling our check out, she looked highly irritated and never apologized for the error. Rather, it seemed that we were the bad guys! I was utterly shocked at her behavior, but then maybe this is Santa Monica hotel mentality (I hope this is not true).

• Stayed: September 2009
1  Thank lshapspro
Reviewed November 19, 2009

We stayed just one night at the Huntley and were happy with the room. Nicely decorated, comfortable bed and had all the gadgets needed for a pampered stay.

We were warned that a crib would "crowd" the room so were expecting a much smaller space. There was plenty of room for the two double beds and the crib, as well as a nice little work area.

I agree with the previous review about the restaurant, though. The service is terrible and the food overpriced. The decor is nice, but worn. The reception we got was also cold. The porter however, was friendly and polite, if a little too pushy to use his services. The front desk staff was very helpful and efficient.

The only real negative we had was the noise in the hallway. Two times we were awoken by the "tuck down service" and we had to rock a crying baby back to sleep. In the morning it was also loud.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 13, 2009

Pros:
Stylish lobby and restaurant with its own glass lift (but turns into the Penthouse by night which is patronised by suits and sluts).
Nice little cafe by the lobby for coffees, pastries and sundries.
Business centre with printer.

Cons:
No pool or outdoor space to hang out.
Despite superficial luxury touches, rooms are basic and expensive for what they are.
Breakfast will set you back at least $50
Valet parking will set you back $30 per day (you can park in the public car parks further down on 2nd Street for around $15 per day but obviously not as convenient if you're making several trips a day).
Have to pay $10 a day for internet access

We stayed for 8 nights over American Film Market in a King Room for $350 a night. Billed as a Premium Ocean View Room, the view of the beach was from our bathroom window. Our bedroom window looked out over a carpark. Deciding to extend our stay by 2 nights, we checked the website and discovered a cheaper rate at $269, however the hotel had automatically continued with the more expensive rate. When we addressed the matter, saying we could have booked on the website for less, reservation staff eventually gave us the rack rate -- but what if we hadn't checked?

In short, this is a lovely old building which has had a facelift to turn it into a boutique hotel, but the rooms don't quite live up to the decor of other parts of the hotel. The Fairmont next door is a much better choice for the money and has a pool.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 4, 2009

we stayed at this hotel for 3 nights, and found it to be a brilliant location and also really lovely rooms, with a great room service. very modern. we were placed on the 15th floor which had a good few of the beach. they have a bar and restaurant on the 17th floor which has great views over all a very enjoyable experience really impressed with this beautiful hotel

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2009

The Huntley was lovely; the staff couldn’t do enough for you. Elizabeth on reception / concierge is especially helpful. We asked for a table reservation at the Ivy and ended up with VIP treatment through Elizabeth. Rooms are spacious, beds are lush and the food is great. Down side – no pool, small inadequate gym facilities. I loved the little shop where you could buy inexpensive coffee and cakes in a morning. Parking was approx $30 per day. It’s within walking distance of all amenities in Santa Monica. Breakfast on the top floor is especially good. I booked direct through the hotel, stayed 3 nights and paid for 2.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2009

My wife and I were graced with The Huntley Hotel only a few days ago. Los Angeles to me is always being out of my norm. I've lived my whole life in New York Cities premier Upper East Side, and I never thought a boutique hotel could almost capture the raw emotion and luxury that was I've been use to. After reading some of these reviews people have left, it almost pysched me out, with how negative and quite distorted these "so called well traveled" people made the Huntley out to be. First off the architecture of the building itself is breath taking. The entrance way into the Huntley has the feel like I'm walking into a gorgeous building off Park ave, a great view of their non-stop to the Restaurant and Bar, fully glass elevator. Once inside this gem, your eyes catch the style and utter chicness of its Stingray front desk, or its White Piranha covered wall. I approached the front desk, only to find friendly yet professional front desk agents. I've read a few reviews where people have knocked their front desk for not kissing their.... um.... yeah... enough. Have you people never stayed in a Luxury Hotel? Are you new to this? Hotels of this caliber are supposed to have a demeanor of professionalism. The front desk was exceptional, they were quick, friendly and straight to the point, just how I like them. Leaving the elevator we were thrust into an amazing dark wood, low lit hallway with silver coral coming from different areas of the walls. I loved it, the design was amazing and quite tasteful. I hate tacky white walls and bright lights in hallways almost as much as Bloomberg. We arrived in our room, and found it to be quite spacious, great furniture, comfortable with great sheets king bed, a large plasma screen, and a mini-bar stocked with some of my favorite liquors. I dined at the Penthouse, their restaurant, and can only hope that one day their Chef will open a location in the City. The view was spectacular from the Penthouse and had a bar scene that was Hollywood chic without the exorbitant attitude. We rented a car, 30 dollars a day I believe thats what we payed, not bad at all, apparentley no one on Tripadvisor has ever had a car in NYC, if your complaining about 30 dollars, dont bother coming to New York! Kudos Huntley Hotel, I now know where I am staying next time!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple