“Ridiculously noisy and not worth the price.”

Huntley Santa Monica Beach
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed March 17, 2014

The hotel is beautiful and in a really good location – just blocks from the beach, great shopping, and dining. The views from the Penthouse bar and restaurant are stunning. But that bar gets CRAZY! I got little to no sleep due to the party people coming and going at all hours of the morning both nights that I stayed here. One night I ended up waiting through two crowds of people who were going to the bar, just so I could get up to my room. On that topic, it doesn't seem to be very safe that there is no key card access to any of the guest room floors. Anyone who wants to get to any of the floors is free to at any time. Basically, I didn't feel very safe or happy to be in this hotel. When I checked out and was asked how my stay was, I told them that it was very loud and hard to sleep. The woman at the desk just said, oh yeah, probably just people leaving the bar. I sure didn't feel like they cared about me as a guest. And it's NOT a cheap hotel for them to treating guests that way. Overall, I was disappointed. At least, the hotel is located in a good area.

I got an “ocean view room” which was sort of a misnomer. It was really a view of a parking lot and if you looked to the right you could see the ocean. It should have been called an “Ocean view bathroom”, because the view from my bathroom was stunning. The room was very clean and the cleaning staff did a great job. The décor was beautiful and the room size was just about right for me, alone. Unfortunately, for the money, I would choose a different hotel next time I’m visiting Santa Monica.

Room Tip: Do NOT get a room close to the stairs, or under the bar/restaurant. Perhaps one of the lower levels...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Huntley Hotel S, Hotelier Consultant at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Dear Meadow N,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the size and decor of our guest rooms and the service from our Housekeeping staff. We do apologize about the noise coming from our Penthouse Restaurant & Lounge, which is the most popular place of all Santa Monica Beach. We hope you will give us another opportunity and please contact me personally so that I may ensure your stay is perfect. Tim Lee-Hotelier Consultant

There are newer reviews for Huntley Santa Monica Beach

Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Writing this at 3.30 am having been kept awake all night.
Check in was not great as a solo traveller I asked about walking along the beach and where the kitch small boutiques and shops are .... A quick scribble on a map with little info was interrupted by a fellow traveller who have great advice and help.

The decor is cheap. You can almost hear the carpets cackle from the high nylon content

The beach view is a joke. Great view of car park and turn head to side to see view.

Small room. No tub. Nicely decorated.

Rooftop restaurant loud noisy and overrated.

And then tonight woken endlessly by party people and spent last hour trying to get someone to shut up the folks next door as I can here every single word -among other things.

Walls are paper thin.

The manager on duty sent security 3 times and only when I "offered" to go myself did he do anything.

Hoping to check out tomorrow.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank angiejess
Huntley Hotel S, Hotelier Consultant at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Dear angiejess,
We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations, which you expect and deserve. Our Night Manager was fully aware of your calls on the overnight shift. We hope you will find a place to call home when your travels brings you to Santa Monica Beach. Thank you for your stay with us.
Tim Lee - Hotelier Consultant

Reviewed March 13, 2014

My husband and I stayed here over Valentine's Day Weekend. The hotel was beautiful and the location is great. It is walking distance to all the attractions in Santa Monica. The room however was very small and really not worth $379, but for being California and the location, I guess it is common. The restaurant at the hotel is very good and it has a beautiful view of Santa Monica.
The hotel staff was very helpful and friendly!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Huntley Hotel S, Hotelier Consultant at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2014

Dear moyanomaya,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we are pleased that your stay will be one to be remembered. The Huntley Santa Monica Beach truly has the best location, close proximity to 3rd Street Promenade, restaurants, shops, beach and the iconic Santa Monica Pier. This is why our many loyal guests keep returning! We look forward welcoming you back and we thank you sincerely for your business. Tim Lee - Hotelier Consultant

Reviewed March 8, 2014

This is the second time I have stayed in this hotel in Santa Monica. It's gorgeous!! And it's one street back from the beach and one street before the Third Street Promenade (fantastic shopping!)
The hotel is very stylish, the rooms are modern and clean and the beds are comfortable. We got a suite that overlooks Santa Monica Beach. Beautiful.
They don't have interconnecting rooms though so our friend and son had to stay a couple of doors down, not that it bothered us!
The little gift store next to the lobby has great bakery items to go and they make excellent coffee.
The top floor restaurant and bar is stunning and the food and service match it.
I love this hotel and will continue to stay there when I'm in town.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the beach.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JJLuvsHotels
Huntley Hotel S, Hotelier Consultant at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Dear JJLuvsHotels,
Thank you for your loyalty with us! The property is truly situated in one of the best locations, just
a block away from the popular 3rd Street Promenade, walking distance to the iconic Pier, Santa Monica Beach, restaurants and shops! By the way, Auckland, New Zealand was my favorite place I had the pleasure to live.You are so fortunate to be living there! We look forward to your return and we thank you very much for your return business. Cheers! Tim Lee - Hotelier Consultant

Reviewed March 7, 2014

The Huntley/Santa Monica is a very chic, up-scale, yet "casual" hotel.....sleek , but not "snooty!" inn the heart of Santa Monica, near everything. The rooms are pretty, clean, and comfy as are the beds, and the mini bar has unusual and diff selections. Like another reviewer said, I also could hang out in my room and not feel like I was missing anything! The roof-top restaurant/bar is gorgeous (views of the Pacific stunning), with yummy food and a bar menu. Hotel staff was courteous and friendly! We would stay there next trip! (A great plus is the Fairmont/Miramar Hotel is directly across the street which has a GREAT Spa and EXHALE YOGA STUDIO and a fun bar called the Bungalow.) Our kids live in this area, so we will be back at the Huntley next trip!

Room Tip: Enjoyed facing Malibu and not the Santa Monica Pier.....the room with 2 queen beds was very roomy on...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank LenoraEfird
Huntley Hotel S, hotelier Consultant at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

Dear LenoraEfird,
It was a pleasure having you as our guest and thank you for your wonderful review. We truly focus on making every guest arrival an experience and depart with lasting memories. We look forward to your return. Our sincere appreciation Lenora of your business. Tim Lee - Hotelier Consultant

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Top hotel top staff would stay here again last stop on a great road trip from chicago finished in style hotel is in a great location for shopping and the beach and if you compleat route 66 stop at the information booth near the pier to pick up a certificate from santa monica city officials to confirm you finished the 66

• Stayed: September 2013
Huntley Hotel S, hotelier Consultant at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear davidlittler953,
It was a pleasure having you as our guests. We are pleased that we created lasting memories, during your last stop of your holiday! We look forward to your return and thank you most sincerely David for your business. Tim Lee - Hotelier Consultant

Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

I hosted my husbands 50th Birthday Party at the Penthouse and we spent the night in the hotel, even though we live in Santa Monica.

Rooms are both gorgeous and spacious.

The Huntley is is little off the beaten track, not as close to the craziness of the Pier that you sometimes deal with at Shutters or the largeness of the Fairmont.

Great customer service and caller is very efficient.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Huntley Hotel S, Hotelier Consultant at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear Elizabethrap,

Thank you for choosing our Penthouse Restaurant & Lounge to celebrate your husband's birthday. We appreciate your positive comments of our service and for sharing your experience with our viewers. The Huntley is the perfect choice for many of our local residence, when wanting
to celebrate a special occasion. Thank you sincerely Elizabeth for your business and we look forward welcoming back again. Tim Lee - Hotelier Consultant