“Fantastic service, great bar, rooms are pretty good.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Huntley Santa Monica Beach

Huntley Santa Monica Beach
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Seattle
“Fantastic service, great bar, rooms are pretty good.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

I had a great experience staying here for a work trip and would definitely recommend it. The woman who helped me check in at the front desk (Akemi?) was fantastic. She not only helped me get settled in but walked me through a bunch of great places to entertain clients I was in town to meet. Probably the best experience I have ever had checking in after a long flight, and I really appreciated the extra care.

The people I was in town to meet and I spent a good amount of time in the top floor hotel bar called the penthouse. It was surprisingly active for my mid-week stay. A nice view as well.

My only complaint was that the room could use a bit of visual upkeep. There were scuffs on the walls in a couple places and some other minor instances of wear and tear. That said it met my needs just fine, but it would be nice to see this stuff taken care of.

I would recommend this place and I'll surely stay there again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Huntley Hotel S, Hotelier Consultant at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear MasterMatt82,
We are pleased you had an enjoyable stay and that we have met your expectations. Our staff truly understand the importance of providing personalized service that our guest expect and deserve.
Your observations regarding the few scuff marks and areas that could be spruced up is very well taken. We are excited to inform you that our guestrooms with be undergoing refurbishment in 2014.
We look forward welcoming you back when your travels brings you again to sunny Santa Monica Beach. With our sincere appreciation for your business.
Hotelier Consultant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Asia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have rounded my rating from 4.5. The reasons for the half point deduction later.

It's my first time in this hotel and did not quite know what to expect. On the website, it looked good and seemed to have everything, including slippers, which us unusual in the USA.

First, the hotel is well-located for shopping. There's the 3rd Street Promenade and the mall at the end. I did end up contributing to the LA economy.

Second, the room is pretty sizeable for LA. Everything worked although I would have preferred a gentler aircon draft.

My days began with breakfast meetings so it's impossible to comment on the breakfast but I went to the Penthouse for dinner twice and they were excellent.

Quite clearly the management does try to offer good service. There is a turndown service complete with two chocolate squares.

But service was uneven. I stayed during the fall time change and during the rest of my stay, the clock in my room was not adjusted. Either the cleaning crew is innumerate or they do not care.

The signage on 16th floor is confusing because of a missing dash. I turned right instead of left to my room. That missing dash is pretty obvious and I'm sure other guests would have made the same mistake.

There is no reading light above the throne in the toilet. Hollywood types do not read? They only watch TV and movies? And the water pressure is on the low side.

The room had no facility for making hot water. There is no kettle for coffee or tea. And finally, I had to call to ask for the slippers. Had I not seen it on the website, I would not have known to ask. I'm wondering if it is management policy.

I was out most of the time so these minor things were not a real bother. But they do detract from what could have been a perfect stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Panguin
Huntley Hotel S, Hotelier Consultant at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Panguin,
Thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your experience with us. We are pleased that your overall stay was a positive one. I shared your detailed observations with our team and they were most impressed especially regarding the dash that we have on order for the corridor signage!
Coffee Makers and Tea Kettles are available upon request through Room Service. Please let us know when you make future room reservations so that we may place one in your room prior to all future visits. We have also shared with our housekeeping team regarding the time on the clock not changed and missed slippers which we do provide in all our rooms. We look forward welcoming you back on your next visit to sunny Santa Monica Beach. Our sincere appreciation Panguin for your business.
Mountain View, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed at this hotel while on business. Santa Monica is very beautiful. The Huntley is a block from the beach. Many if the rooms have ocean views. But each space is special. There is a comfort level at this hotel which is difficult to achieve for many hotels. The staff is incredibly friendly and efficient. The rooms are immaculate. My room was so comfortable it was difficult to fight the urge to just stay inside. But outside there's the third street promenade, with shops, restaurants and theaters to fill any down time.

But the best part about the hotel is the food. Chef Seth Greenberg runs the Penthouse Restaurant. The food is truly amazing. The quality is top notch. The service, particularly to guests if the hotel is exemplary. I had an amazing dinner and breakfast most days. I can't say enough about the quality of the food I enjoyed. In addition the staff at the restaurant was very well trained and organized. This restaurant is just very we'll run from top to bottom. Which makes everything so much better. Finally the valley staff is really important at the hotel because parking is difficult. They're always ready with your car with a little notice. Friendly and helpful with directions and information as well. Mathis is a top notch place to,stay for sure and will always be one of my favorites.

Room Tip: Rooms in the south side get morning sunlight but have beach views. Get a room on the north side for...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Cleavetwo
Huntley Hotel S, Hotelier Consultant at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Cleavetwo,
Thank you for sharing your experience and your wonderful review. We appreciate your kind words regarding our dedicated staff. Our staff understands the importance of exceeding our guest expectations for which our valued guests deserve and expect. Chef Seth is truly very talented and very much appreciated by all that visits our Penthouse Restaurant and Lounge. We look forward welcoming you back when your travels brings you again to sunny Santa Monica Beach. With our sincere appreciation Cleavetwo for your business.
Tim Lee-Hotelier Consultant
Brasilia, DF
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Check-in: the clerk at the counter was very polite but she did not have a clue about my credit card platinum package. I had to explain how it works(!!) - hint: print your reservation and have it handy.
Room: average. I was expecting a bigger one.
View: gorgeous. Although it is partial (It was not specified at the moment of the reservation). And, of course, you pay more for it.
There is a restaurant (Penthouse) at the top floor. Excellent service and food. The thing is the restaurant is a hipster one. Sometimes, in the evenings, the elevators are crowded with drunk people. One night I had to share a ride with a couple(?) and another woman making out. Among other unpleasant things that happened during the rides. A good suggestion would be keeping separate elevators for the hotel guests. If you are coming back from the movies - sober - it is not nice to get in an elevador with an empty can of beer on its floor. My keys did not work for three times. Twice in a row right after they be validated (for the second time) at the reception.
Check-out was okay. There were some mistakes with the check, we had to have it corrected - which it was - two times.
I do not recomend the hotel unless you are in the mood to party and like trendy things. The stay was not that bad, it did not ruined my vacation at all, but those things that happened were unexpected.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Huntley Hotel S, Hotelier Consultant at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear CPBrazil,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We apologize for the Front Desk registration, key cards and check out experience, and your feedback has been shared with our Front Office team. We hope you will give us another opportunity to make things right. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally so that I may assist you with future reservations. Thank you sincerely for your business. We look forward to your return.
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed at the Huntley for two periods over October (arriving in from Australia) and just before departure back to Australia. On each occasion, particularly when we arrived back at the hotel we were greeted like warm family members. Our room on each occasion was perfect, clean, with a view up to Malibu the first time and second time back across Santa Monica Pier. The Concierge staff (particularly Ellizabeth) were outstanding in helping us organise tours, suggesting various options and shopping options and extending our room stay so we could have a late check out before our trip hom. The wait staff in the Penthouse were very welcoming and attentive. I would highly recommend this hotel as value for money and a great location. You get the sense that everyone working at this hotel has a great sense of pride in their job and the hotel.

Patricia - 31/10/2013

Room Tip: We had no problems with the rooms we were put in and found the bathrooms small but quite manageable...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Huntley Hotel S, Hotelier Consultant at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Patricia S,
Thank you for being a loyal guest and we appreciate our wonderful feedback. Our staff understands the importance of providing our guests the service they expect and deserve. We are pleased you found a new home away from home! We have passed on your compliments to Elizabeth as well as our entire team. We look forward welcoming you home when your travels brings you back to sunny Santa Monica Beach! With our sincere appreciation Patricia for your business. Welcome to our Huntley Family!
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Every time I try a new, hip hotel when I'm down in Santa Monica, I end up regretting not just coming back the the Huntley. The staff is fantastic - valet, front desk, room servers and housekeeping. Dave at the front desk remembered my name as I checked in, and I hadn't been there in over a year! Seriously, everything about the place is as close to perfect as you'll find and an awesome view, as well! One block from the bustling Promenade, but it feels removed enough to feel somewhat secluded. Wifi is free and faster than every other hotel I've stayed in. And I haven't even mentioned the Penthouse Restaurant. Stunning.

Room Tip: Highest floors get some noise on weekend nights from the Penthouse Restaurant.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Huntley Hotel S, Hotelier Consultant at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Bill K,
Thank you for being a loyal guest and for sharing your experience with us. Our staff understands the importance of providing our valued guest the service they expect and deserve. We look forward to your return when your travels brings you back to sunny Santa Monica Beach. With our sincere apprecation Bill for your business and for your loyalty with us.
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

i stayed at the Huntley over a weekend of business on a Friday and Saturday night. The staff was outstanding, facilities excellent, and hotel restaurant above par. Two criticisms: no coffee maker in the rooms, and the air conditioning didn't cool down the room very well. The bathroom was well designed with an incredibly great shower, and lovely bathroom amenities from Bulgari.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with adequate cooling.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear BotticelliDiva,
It was a pleasure having you as our guest and we are so pleased that we met your expectations. Coffee makers are provided through Room Service so please let us know on your return visit. We will also add a note in your personal profile to always place one in your room prior to all return visits.
We look foward to your return and we thank you sincerely for your business.