“Worst Hotel I've ever booked.”

Huntley Santa Monica Beach
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Clovis, California
“Worst Hotel I've ever booked.”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I thought with the many good reviews I read on this Hotel that I was going to have a pleasant stay. However, I don't know what type of Hotels the other reviewers stayed in but I have stayed in way better. Actually all the other Hotels I've stayed in were far better, and I've stayed in many different Hotels. At first everything seemed like it was going to be great because the valet was friendly and check in was fast. The lobby looked nicely decorated and clean but that's where the "luxury Hotel" experience ended. I was taken to my room and immediately after entering it I felt uncomfortable. My children went right for the view of the ocean which was okay if you could block out the image of ugly roof tops directly in front of the ocean view. The room was smaller than it seemed from the photo's I seen online (usually it's the other way around since I always stay in suites). The room may have looked nice when it first was decorated but had a lot of wear and tear everywhere I looked. My room was non-smoking yet there were burn holes on the window seat and the remote to the t.v. as if someone used it as an ashtray and left their cigarette laying on it. The remote did not work and I had to control the t.v. manually. The bed had a large brown stain on the box springs which could be seen since there was no bed skirting. The sink had no center plug and the water filled up and drained slowly and obvious clog that was never fixed. The carpet was very dirty and threads were pulled up in areas. The walls were dirty, and the sink had black spots on the backsplash. Even the phone in the room was very dated looked like the ones inside a Motel room during the 1990's. This Hotel was not worth the price since the quality of the rooms were similar to those of a cheap Motel. I did not stay the night after seeing all the dirt and grime there was no way I could feel comfortable in that Hotel the standards and quality were very low for what is suppose to be a luxury Hotel. The only signs of luxury were outside and in the lobby.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank DreamComeTrue07
Huntley Hotel S, Manager at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear DreamComeTrue07,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations and am sharing your comments with our Housekeeping staff as we take our guest comments very seriously. We hope you will give us another opportunity and consider us again the next time you are in traveling to Santa Monica.

The Huntley Management and Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
CA
Reviewed June 27, 2013

What a great spot to stop for the night. The location is excellent and perfect walking distance to many great places. The rooms are on the pricey side, but the place is swanky and comfortable.

The Penthouse restaurant and bar on the top floor is the hot spot to be on a weekend night.

Overall, if you are looking for a upscale place to enjoy with a great scene, this is the place to be.

Room Tip: If you are not going to the top floor bar/nightclub/restaurant, avoid staying on the highest floors...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Huntley Hotel S, Manager at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear j1traveller,

It was such a pleasure to serve you at the Huntley Santa Monica Beach. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and look very forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I booked my stay for the past Friday-Sunday at the Huntley. It created the backdrop for an amazing vacation at what I considered a very reasonable price (~$240 a night).

The feel of the hotel is excellent as the decor has a very clean, modern design. I was given a queen room on the 15th floor which was both spacious and comfortable. I particularly loved the large shower and bathrobes that I was very tempted to buy - but realized that my home would not have been nice enough for them.

The staff are top notch in accommodating any needs I had from town cars, to fresh linens, to valet service, to late checkout. Everyone was very friendly, helpful, and also respectful which really set my experience apart from a lower teir hotel such as a Marriott. Having what has to be one of the best lounges sitting three floors above me (and I couldn't hear anything from it either) was a definite plus and I took great advantage of it.

I cannot speak highly enough of this place. When I find myself on vacation in Santa Monica again, I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tom W
Dear Tom W,

Thank you so much for your comments. We are so happy to hear you had such a positive experience while staying with us at the Huntley Santa Monica Beach. It was a great pleasure to serve you. We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Santa Monica!

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This is a really nice boutique hotel in a great position in Santa Monica. Our room was very spacious, clean and quite. The bathroom should be renovated but this is the only negative thing that I can say despite a lot of positive elements for this hotel. The only shame is that we had just one night spent here!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear gianlucaNY,

It was a priviledge to serve you at the Huntley Santa Monica Beach. We're delighted to hear you had such a positive experience while staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I recently stayed again at the hotel after visiting last year. The hotel staff are all courteous and polite and very helpful. I did encounter some noise problems from the outdoor smoking lounge which I spoke to the hotel staff about. They moved me to a quieter and higher located room in the building which was pleasant and with a nice view.
I did not eat a meal this time at the Penthouse but did have drinks with friends which was very good. The Penthouse is quite busy and has a buzzing vibe with great views. The hotel room was a generous size, the beds very comfortable with a good power shower.

The hotel is just one street away from the 3rd Promenade shopping area and two blocks back from the beach.

I'm not sure when I will visit LA again, but would come back here anytime.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Huntley Hotel S, Manager at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear bilby2009,

It was a pleasure to serve you again at the Huntley Santa Monica Beach! We are so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for choosing to stay with us again during your visit to Santa Monica. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Waco, Texas
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I absolutely love the Huntley Hotel in Santa Monica. Very chic and friendly boutique hotel with spacious rooms and bathrooms. It is also close to the fun restaurants and shops and a short walk to the pier and beach. Saw Joaquin Phoenix on this stay and the hotel arranged for my daughter and I to rent a convertible BMW to drive while in LA. Definitely one of my favorites.

Room Tip: Ocean view is lovely
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear k_deav,

On behalf of the entire management and staff of the Huntley Santa Monica Beach, it was a pleasure to serve you. We are so pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay and look very forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Saratoga, California
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Good:
Location close to the beach, shopping, and pier.
Top floor beautiful view.
Very comfortable bed and super soft linen.
Friendly and helpful bell boy and housekeeper.
Good toiletry and soft cotton towel.

Bad:
Unfriendly receptionist, check in counter people with attitude ( man w/the mustache), look down on people if you not white or under dressed. I got turned off the moment I check in with his poor attitude.
Stuffy, mold and mildew room with old carpet.
Stuffy elevator and old dingy hallway perhaps because I am on the city view 5th floor. Almost pass out due to poor circulation and no fresh air.
Uninvited atmosphere.
Noisy when open the window for fresh sea breeze, especially on Friday and Saturday night due to the roof top club open until 2am. People arriving and leaving with loud conversation....
Window has no screen, dangerous falling.

Would not return to Huntley since we compared our stay @ the Fairmont right across Huntley last Thanksgiving. We want to try out Huntley after reading the positive review. We paid a little bit more @ Fairmont but the service and the experience were exceptional. We highly recommended The Fairmont who want comfort and a pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Huntley Hotel S, Manager at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear ttt C,

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations and are sharing your comments with our Front Office Manager, as we take our guest comments very seriously. Rest assured our windows only open a small crack so there is no danger of falling. We appreciate you letting us know your experience and hope you will give us another opportunity and consider us again the next time you are in Santa Monica.