“Great Location, Great Service, Ocean Views Minimized” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Huntley Santa Monica Beach

You added Huntley Santa Monica Beach to your Saves list
Huntley Santa Monica Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1111 Second Street, Santa Monica, CA 90403 (Formerly The Huntley Hotel) (Santa Monica)   |
Special Offer
FREE Premium WiFi
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great Location, Great Service, Ocean Views Minimized”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

A former Santa Monica resident, I remember the old "Toppers" restaurant, prior to the makeover, so my wife and I decided to try a night here recently. The interior design is well done - modern, a bit electic, but comfortable. The service - from the front desk to valets to bellhops - was wonderful: cheery, upbeat folks. But because of the next-door Fairmont Hotels location between the ocean and the Huntley, most rooms have ocean views only from the sides. Our first room, however, had a spectacular ocean view - from the bathroom! Opportunity lost. But after we complained about renovation noise 2 floors above, we were quickly and effortlessly relocated to a larger room, at no charge. Then we walked the 1/2 block to the 3rd Street Promenade and shopped all afternoon! The location is fantastic, the rooms are clean and nice, but I wish the ocean views had been figured out. We will stay here again, however.

Room Tip: Stay on highest floor possible - better views!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Huntley Hotel S, Manager at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear FrenchRoastFan,

It was a priviledge to serve you at the Huntley Santa Monica Beach. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Santa Clarita, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed at the Huntley just one night after my husband's holiday party. The registration process was speedy and the desk clerk told us she was giving us " one of her favorite rooms"...1702. Well, the room was lovely.The best ocean view was from our bathroom window. Everything was nice and clean. We immediately noticed that we could hear the sound of heels walking rapidly on the floor above us, but we didn't think too much of it because we needed to get ready for our holiday party.

I returned to the room about 1030pm. I immediately knew that we were underneath a bar because I could hear loud music and stampeding feel directly above the bed. It was insane! I am sure I could have caused a stink and switched rooms, but I was in no mood to pack up all of our belongings and move rooms at that hour! The noise continued until 2am when The Penthouse closed.

We were given a discounted room rate on this Saturday night stay because our group had made arrangements to reserve a block of rooms. Will I ever consider staying at the Huntley again? Maybe...BUT certainly NOT on the 17th floor under The Penthouse Rooftop Restaurant.

We enjoyed a lovely breakfast at the Penthouse before checking out. The views are fantastic.

Room Tip: ASK to stay anywhere BUT on the 17th floor under the Penthouse!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank mombinni
Dear mombinni,

It was a pleasure serving you at the Huntley Santa Monica Beach. We are sorry to hear that your stay wasn't as comfortable as expected. We assure you that your next stay will be much more quiet and hope you will return again soon!
Stratford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

So normally I don't stay at hotels of this calibur, unless I'm traveling for work. In this case I am. I mean the lobby is beautiful but I've found everything here to be pretty average. I get up to my room and it is very warm and stuffy. I locate the thermostat and find that the temperature is reading above 73. I'm from New England and happen to like the cold so I turn it down to 65. I check to make sure the heat setting wasnt on and that the thermostat was on. Everything appeard to be pretty good. I go and leave for dinner. I come back and the room is 82 degrees. How does that even happen!? It was disgustingly hot. I called the front desk and they sent someone up and the issue was resolved pretty fast. Supposedly the airconditioner had been set to use hot water instead of cold? THat is what the matinance man told me. The other thing that bugs me is this hotel charges for internet. $9.95 a day! Who does that in this day and age? I mean espically for business travelers internet is an essential. I know alot of hotels that areny as "swanky" and don't charge for internet. Not only that so I had a ton of issues logging in and paying for my internet. THe interface leads you to believe you can do this yourself by creating a user name and password and just charge it to your room. I didn't find this to be the case. I called the front desk and the woman that answered told me she needed to activate it for me. Would've been nice to know that. The last thing...and this drove me crazy was the tv itself doesn't have a physical off switch. I fell asleep with the TV on and woke up in the middle of the night. (Standard practice for me) I wake up, grab the remote and hit power. I hit power from all sorts of angles trying to get the TV to turn off. Doesnt work. I pull myself out of bed and try to turn it off and the TV doesn't have a physical "off" button. Why!?!? At this point I'm half awake and just want to go back to sleep, so I turn the volume all the way down and do just that. I know now that i could've unplugged it but I've never seen a tv without some sort of off switch.The location is ok. I can't see the water from here but I suppose you could in other rooms. Would I stay here again? Maybe? This just isn't the type of hotel I'd normally choose to stay at.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank smittenkitten_20
Dear onallerazil0887,

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear that your stay with us was did not meet your expectations. Our televisions do have a physical on/off button on the side of the TV as most flat screens do. We are sharing your comments with our Management and staff as we rely on our valued guest comments to continue to improve. We hope you will consider the Huntley Santa Monica Beach again for your next visit to Santa Monica.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Bailed on the Brentwood Inn, though I love the Shangri La, won't go back as long as they have some social issues...Our Deluxe 'ocean view "room room #1601, was smallish the real "ocean view" was from the bathroom, no tub. Carpet stains as well as several dirt smudges on the walls were examples of poor up keep. Requests for more towels, got us a replacement with no wash cloths Kitchen upstairs is first rate as well as the service..texting to get your car or the perfume as walk in are nice, but a little less style and a little more substance would be helpful

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Montclairian
Huntley Hotel S, Manager at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Montclairian,

It was a pleasure to serve you at the Huntley Santa Monica Beach. We appreicate your comments and am sharing your thoughts with our staff as we rely on our valued guest feedback to continue to improve. We hope you will consider us again the next time you visit Santa Monica.
Ridgewood, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed here in the summer of July 2012 with two friends. We had a Premier Ocean View room with two queen beds which was very adequate for the three of us. Room was very clean.. Bathroom was clean and up to date.... View was okay nothing special, but you could see somewhat of a ocean view.. Location is very good.. A short walk to the beach which was a nice clean beach and not to crowded...Also a short walk to the 3rd Street promenade which is very nice full of restaurants and shops....The concierge at the hotel did help us out in booking a car rental..Didnt get her name , but she was very helpful and nice..,,We valet parked the car and its a 30 per day charge with in and out privileges.....Rooftop restuanrant/bar was very nice.. We did not eat there, but went up for a drink one night.. Don't get me wrong the ambiance it very nice, but it wasn't my crowd (its a lilttle bit of a older crowd up there)..Drinks were averagly priced for a bar well at least for me being from NYC where drinks can go up to 20$.. There are many restaurants and bars in walking distance and Santa Monica is very clean and safe place... I believe I left on a thursday and there was somewhat of a farmers market in the area.. Not exactly sure where , but def. close by.LA/Hollywood is about a 20min. drive from the hotel we did one afternoon...I recommend to anyone else looking for a nice place to stay in Santa Monica... I am a frequent traveler and loving staying in beautiful hotels so look out for more upcoming reviews

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Huntley Hotel S, Manager at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Mrnewyorkkk3,

On behalf of the entire management and staff of the Huntley Santa Monica Beach, it was a pleasure to serve you. We are pleased to hear you had a pleasant stay and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This must have been a groundbreaking hotel when it first opened and don't get me wrong it is still fabulous in many ways - the location is superb, just a short one block walk from the beach and what a gorgeous beach! Venice Beach is perhaps 10 minutes stroll from the front door and in the other direction a 10 minute stroll takes you to great chic shopping.

The hotel decor feels 80's (maybe 90's) so it isn't quite as sharp as it could be! Check in was fast and friendly, as it should; however arriving at 11am on a Saturday morning our rooms were not ready - but that's OK, we were a party of 3 arriving early!

So we went to the Penthouse Restaurant for lunch and that was chic (very 90210) and full of beautiful people trying hard to be noticed - the food was also posing on the plates but it was delicious - I had an authentic and tasty Eggs Benedict; the views out of the surround windows were gorgeous - looking far out to Malibu in the north and the sea to the west! The window tables (populated by the 90210 set) were like canopied cabanas and they were much sought after - we couldn't get one.

My room was superb (though dated in orange and beige!) with a bath in the room plus a separate ensuite shower room. Comfortable bed! Great sleep! Huge flat screen TV was positioned in the centre of the room and like an elegant demure pole dancer swiveled around to face either the bed or the couch!

However no complimentary coffee making facility! Some of us need coffee immediately we rise and don't want to wait for room service - and being a hotelier I know that its all those individual coffees that take up room service time and manpower! Something for the Huntley to learn!

Dinner that evening was booked (recommended) in the Penthouse Restaurant and it was perfect! Service was fast, friendly and efficient! The food was the star of the evening and isn't that what a restaurant is all about? I had lamb that was so delicious and tender that it was like an angels breath on my tongue and there was enough of it, I didn't have to search around my plate to find it. Is there a downside? Well for me (and its probably an age thing) but the restaurant becomes a trendy night club as the evening progresses and I was there for a great dinner so the loud obtrusive music chased me back to my room.

I would return - but only if I could have the same room - my friends didn't fare as well - their's were standard style bedrooms - bath behind a door and TV against the wall - and still no coffee!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear TempleHunter,

Thank you so much for your feedback! It was a plesaure to serve you at the Huntley Santa Monica Beach. We are happy to hear that you had such a positive experience while staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

The Huntley is a great choice for the combination of location, quality and price. If you are actually in a movie then perhaps stay in Hollywood. If not, you can't beat Santa Monica for a taste of LA life. Rooms are not huge but fine and quality facilities. Staff no problem. Recommend.

• Stayed December 2011
Dear Melbourne-Aust,

It was a pleasure to serve you at the Huntley Santa Monica Beach! We are so pleased that you had an enjoyable time while staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!